OT: The OT Thread Part 5: New HF Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait......

THis is about Climate Change and reducing Emissions...YET they use a FULL SIZED Pickup truck that is OLDER than the Fuel-Efficient vehicles we have today to carry their canoe? They should be ARRESTED just for this! There's a river behind you! Use the canoe to go home! idiots.

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Man, Twitter is going nuts over this. Staples, in particular, is going off the rails. Saw someone else saying the protesters should be arrested for taking people hostage because the drivers can't turn around haha.

It sucks to be an officer in their position. I can almost guarantee you they would like to make some arrests and get them out of the way, but the city has told them not to. The last thing Edmonton wants is a video of their police service arresting non-violent protesters going viral.

Interesting.

I just find it so interesting that according to these people using some words is violence because marginalizes people yet this is considered "non-violent". They're literally taking away people's rights; their rights to "protest" end where they begin to take away other people's rights to earn a living and move around. I would venture to say if anyone lost their jobs or any income because of these idiot's actions, they've committed an act of violence.

Optics or not, this is an absolute failure on behalf of the city and the EPS. They've now clearly chosen a side and it's definitely not the side of the average Edmontonian. Hell, the police didn't even do their jobs and enforce the law, they didn't do their jobs because of optics! In any other line of work you'd be dismissed immediately if you didn't do your job because of "optics". The worst part about it is they've now set a standard that paves the way for more groups of people to do this.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting.

I just find it so interesting that according to these people using some words is violence because marginalizes people yet this is considered "non-violent". They're literally taking away people's rights; their rights to "protest" end where they begin to take away other people's rights to earn a living and move around. I would venture to say if anyone lost their jobs or any income because of these idiot's actions, they've committed an act of violence.

Optics or not, this is an absolute failure on behalf of the city and the EPS. They've now clearly chosen a side and it's definitely not the side of the average Edmontonian. Hell, the police didn't even do their jobs and enforce the law, they didn't do their jobs because of optics! In any other line of work you'd be dismissed immediately if you didn't do your job because of "optics". The worst part about it is they've now set a standard that paves the way for more groups of people to do this.
I mean we did just have a botched vote at City Council last week, so it's not overly surprising.

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
i think it's great and i support the actions of the protestors.
thisisbait.png

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
And this is why I live in STRONG AND FREE TRUE BLUE Leduc, we don’t vote it stinko pinko left wingers like these goofs that I guarantee come from inner city Edmonton. Left wingerism is a dangerous disease of the mind.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
i think it's great and i support the actions of the protestors.

Obviously you aren’t someone who may lose several hours of work and get a smaller pay check or miss a critical medical appointment or have to take time off work because you have to reschedule a downtown appointment.

You sound like a first class ass wipe.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Interesting.

The city new that this was going to occur as of Thurday. A full 4 days in advance they had notice that the closure attempt was going to occur 7am on a Monday Morning during rush hour madness.

They knew all the particulars, which bridge, that it was planned as a complete barricade, and I'd like to presume that City hall realizes that all feeder roads that lead into that one way bridge are ONE WAY. So that close to a thousand commuters would have been stuck right there, with nowhere to go, for close to 1.5hrs. 27K other people that use that route daily had their morning commute bombed to smithereens but at least were not trapped on the multiple arterials that enter Walterdale Bridge AND NOTHING ELSE.

lol that the police did not even SHOW UP, until several angry disturbances occurred on the bridge including one irate driver stunt driving forward in an attempt to run over the protestors and some others that threw the protestors bikes off the bridge roadway. This was guaranteed to produce outrage as it was a complete closure and as one astute reddit user stated. "people don't self regulate too well, on the Monday AM commute. Its probably the worst possible time to do this." lol

But that was the intent. Civil disobedience, civil disruption, nowhere that this has taken place has this stayed a "peaceful protest" as early news reports stated. Things escalated in a hurry, and expectedly.

Yet theres the protestors standing there self righteous with designer labels, wearing logos, smartphones, and even a few of them drinking out of disposable plastic water bottles while the planet is dying in 12years, mass extinction, something...

Laughably they drove the canoe up, and picked it up with an older model huge GM pickup truck. Probably somebodies dads truck hand me down. From reports the vehicle was leaking and burning oil, was spewing exhaust bad, had trouble starting, and was probably one of the worst pollution and gas guzzlers on the whole morning commute.
Nothing like consistency eh. Practice what you preach? NO.

Ironically the GM Pickup sputtered down the same bridge that they had just before closed to EVERYBODY ELSE. Probably with not a second thought about it..
Worse, the Canoe was just used as a prop. There was no reason for it to be there, and no reason that all the protestors could not have simply biked or canoed to the bridge. At least a few rode their bikes, I guess that's something..

At minimum the Police ought to have pulled them over and start writing tickets for several vehicle infractions. I'm sure they could find some.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The city new that this was going to occur as of Thurday. A full 4 days in advance they had notice that the closure attempt was going to occur 7am on a Monday Morning during rush hour madness.

They knew all the particulars, which bridge, that it was planned as a complete barricade, and I'd like to presume that City hall realizes that all feeder roads that lead into that one way bridge are ONE WAY. So that close to a thousand commuters would have been stuck right there, with nowhere to go, for close to 1.5hrs. 27K other people that use that route daily had their morning commute bombed to smithereens but at least were not trapped on the multiple arterials that enter Walterdale Bridge AND NOTHING ELSE.

lol that the police did not even SHOW UP, until several angry disturbances occurred on the bridge including one irate driver stunt driving forward in an attempt to run over the protestors and some others that threw the protestors bikes off the bridge roadway. This was guaranteed to produce outrage as it was a complete closure and as one astute reddit user stated. "people don't self regulate too well, on the Monday AM commute. Its probably the worst possible time to do this." lol

But that was the intent. Civil disobedience, civil disruption, nowhere that this has taken place has this stayed a "peaceful protest" as early news reports stated. Things escalated in a hurry, and expectedly.

Yet theres the protestors standing there self righteous with designer labels, wearing logos, smartphones, and even a few of them drinking out of disposable plastic water bottles while the planet is dying in 12years, mass extinction, something...

Laughably they drove the canoe up, and picked it up with an older model huge GM pickup truck. Probably somebodies dads truck hand me down. From reports the vehicle was leaking and burning oil, was spewing exhaust bad, had trouble starting, and was probably one of the worst pollution and gas guzzlers on the whole morning commute.
Nothing like consistency eh. Practice what you preach? NO.

Ironically the GM Pickup sputtered down the same bridge that they had just before closed to EVERYBODY ELSE. Probably with not a second thought about it..
Worse, the Canoe was just used as a prop. There was no reason for it to be there, and no reason that all the protestors could not have simply biked or canoed to the bridge. At least a few rode their bikes, I guess that's something..

At minimum the Police ought to have pulled them over and start writing tickets for several vehicle infractions. I'm sure they could find some.
The way the city decided to handle this will be something I keep in mind for the next municipal election.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I guess they couldn’t get the fibreglass canoe on the LRT.

Wonder what’s going to happen when someone dies in an ambulance with one of these block the bridge protests these dumb ****s like to pull off.
Oh tax payers would be on the hook for a lawsuit.

I hate to be dark, but at the end of the day the City has now shown their cards and this will continue to happen from other protestors. It's kind of like the whole "don't negotiate with a terrorist" as all it does is open up the flood gates for more idiots.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I worked an election. You can actually refuse your right to vote. Fill out a simple form. It is the equivilant of a none of the above option.

Having said that I've never seen someone do it nor has any other worker I know.

It would be awesome if thousands of Canadians did. Maybe the parties would start paying attention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->