OT: The OT Social Bubble Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I'm surprised at how little talk there is about the next nhl season. It starts in December? What's the plan? Does anyone think anything will be different in 10 weeks? Full 82 game schedule, how exactly? I don't see anyone talking about this.
I just can't see it staying covid free outside of a bubble too

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I just can't see it staying covid free outside of a bubble too

I think they'll have to continue the bubble system. Maybe expand to every Canadian city, allow player family members in, i have no idea the logistics of it but make it more accommodating.

If you have teams traveling around the US/ Canada you'll run into quarantinng situations and probable break outs etc.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I think they'll have to continue the bubble system. Maybe expand to every Canadian city, allow player family members in, i have no idea the logistics of it but make it more accommodating.

If you have teams traveling around the US/ Canada you'll run into quarantinng situations and probable break outs etc.
Then at the end when things return to normal with vaccines just keep the Panthers and Coyotes up here

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

At what point does continuing to keep professional sports leagues active stop making sense? If they make money without fans in attendance it's moot. If they break even or don't lose much money, it might still make sense for a variety of social and economic reasons. If the NHL or any similarly gate-driven league can't host fans at all for an entire season, or indefinitely, at some point it just becomes an obsolete, decadent institution that doesn't serve a purpose in a world where social distancing is a semi-permanent reality. Before that happens I'd expect players and management to agree to massive salary reductions, however.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'm surprised at how little talk there is about the next nhl season. It starts in December? What's the plan? Does anyone think anything will be different in 10 weeks? Full 82 game schedule, how exactly? I don't see anyone talking about this.
Im surprised too, but I cannot see them having an entire season with no gate revenue. Like I said temp checks at the gate amd masks 100% of the time. Even then theres pretty high risk to teams catching it...

NHL plans 82-game schedule next season, Commissioner Bettman says

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
I'm getting pretty tired of no fans sports, NFL and MLB in particular are brutal to watch. Fake crowd noise is maybe better than nothing, but its bad.

I know we're not there yet for even half capacity, but there's gotta be a way to get 33%.
Temperature check everyone, mandatory masks and gloves for that matter, gotta be possible by now.

Can't imagine any ownerships would object either.

I don’t find it makes a huge difference with no fans. Doesn’t change my view experience much at all.

Reactions: Peen

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Australia had a big breakout in one of its major cities (Melbourne) where the daily cases got up to 700 but a harsh lock down as soon as the spike happened has gotten it back down to just 14 cases yesterday. There were only 19 new cases, total, for the whole of Australia yesterday (population of 25M). If everyone does the right thing then it's shown it can bring it under control. My brother was telling me that when it's down to a really small amount every day, like it has been in other states in Australia, the government just tests like crazy in the area where a new case is shown and they make sure to keep it isolated from breaking out further.
Another crazy thing is that Australia has just come out of its flu season and the amount of lab-confirmed flu cases in August, 2019 was 61,000, but in August, 2020 there were only 107 cases.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Mind you Aussies have a water barrier surrounding your country so it’s a bit easier to control what goes in or out. Probably why New Zealand had the pandemic pretty much under control (I think). At least at the start of all this back earlier in the year.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Mind you Aussies have a water barrier surrounding your country so it’s a bit easier to control what goes in or out. Probably why New Zealand had the pandemic pretty much under control (I think). At least at the start of all this back earlier in the year.
That's true, but it's mainly due to the government doing what needs to be done and the citizens sticking to the rules. You also get hit hard with fines if you don't follow the rules and there's no exceptions. There's none of this "I have a constitutional right to not put something on my face!" If you go outside of the 5km radius you live in or you don't wear a mask when you're out of your house then you get fined. It's a $200 fine for a non-masking offense, $1,600 for a first-time stay-at-home breach, and up to $20,000 if you breach it again after the first time.
It really just comes down to people coming together and doing everything they can to help the community as a whole. The ideological difference between places like Australia and the US is that Americans are much more self-interested, whereas Australians tend to be more community-minded. That doesn't go for every person in both countries, but the overall mindsets are different. I'm a citizen of both countries and that's my experience anyway.

Frostage

May 23, 2014

I've heard this before but don't quite understand: Why does water make it easier?

Canada has a border with one country. It would be fairly easy to close. Why are people transiting to Alaska allowed to drive through?

I live in China and it shares borders with a number of countries and they were able to close the border and control things quite quickly.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I've heard this before but don't quite understand: Why does water make it easier?

Canada has a border with one country. It would be fairly easy to close. Why are people transiting to Alaska allowed to drive through?

I live in China and it shares borders with a number of countries and they were able to close the border and control things quite quickly.

Water acts as a natural border that in theory should be harder to penetrate then a land border. If Australia closes it's ports and airports it's essentially quarantined itself from the world.

Reactions: Hit the post

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

a few months ago, someone was telling me they couldn't even send *mail* to new zealand

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
If any of you want to vote in the upcoming provincial election (Oct.15-24) but don't want to do so in-person with COVID still being a thing, you can request a vote-by-mail package online: Elections BC – Online Voter Registration or by calling Elections BC at 1-800-661-8683

More info: How to Vote by Mail

Edit: The return postage/envelope is included, it's very easy to do so there's no excuse not to vote (if you're legally able to).

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If any of you want to vote in the upcoming provincial election (Oct.15-24) but don't want to do so in-person with COVID still being a thing, you can request a vote-by-mail package online: Elections BC – Online Voter Registration or by calling Elections BC at 1-800-661-8683

More info: How to Vote by Mail

Edit: The return postage/envelope is included, it's very easy to do so there's no excuse not to vote (if you're legally able to).

Went through this yesterday. Took me less than 5 minutes. Very straightforward.

Reactions: rypper

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018

I’m not convinced there will be a season. How depressing will that be? Might be why nobody is talking about it. Just don’t want it to be so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad