Post-Game Talk: The one where terrible ex-Oilers scored all the Flames goals

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Not worried at all, it’s just preseason boys and we weren’t even playing our elite—McDavid, Nuge and Neal were all out.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Have watched some Oil games this preseason and I gotta say Bear is starting to look really good. I was a massive fan of him in junior with Seattle and this preseason he is looking like he took a huge step forward. Good on him doing what he is doing

Oct 15, 2008
Geez, some of you....

"Larsson can't do a single thing".... "Koskinen should never play another game"...

a) It's the frickin' pre-season.
b) Larsson has had a couple of really good, plus one passable, seasons in the past 4 years. Okay, last season was a disaster, but at 26 he's not a guy you give up on... yet. He could still have ten good years left in this League. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. That said, the noose is getting tighter. (And no, Oilers' fans don't hold the trade against him. Oilers' fans are generally smart.)
c) Among forwards and D, Koskinen was probably the team's most valuable player last season. But hey, he let in three goals in the pre-season, behind 1/2 an AHL team, so he never play another game.

I begin to understand why so many free agents don't want to play in Edmonton...

If only Koskinen’s awful play was restricted to preseason we would be so lucky.

I don’t know what is the deal with Larsson but he hasn’t been the same since his first season here, which was terrific. He has been playing like he doesn’t like hockey and doesn’t want to be here.

Reactions: Porkleaker

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If only Koskinen’s awful play was restricted to preseason we would be so lucky.

I don’t know what is the deal with Larsson but he hasn’t been the same since his first season here, which was terrific. He has been playing like he doesn’t like hockey and doesn’t want to be here.

Isn't that what Tippett alluded to regarding WHC Larsson and NHL Larsson. The former is engaged and the latter is playing as if he never liked hockey in the first place.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Geez, some of you....

"Larsson can't do a single thing".... "Koskinen should never play another game"...

a) It's the frickin' pre-season.
b) Larsson has had a couple of really good, plus one passable, seasons in the past 4 years. Okay, last season was a disaster, but at 26 he's not a guy you give up on... yet. He could still have ten good years left in this League. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. That said, the noose is getting tighter. (And no, Oilers' fans don't hold the trade against him. Oilers' fans are generally smart.)
c) Among forwards and D, Koskinen was probably the team's most valuable player last season. But hey, he let in three goals in the pre-season, behind 1/2 an AHL team, so he never play another game.

I begin to understand why so many free agents don't want to play in Edmonton...

Not because of weather or because we're a perennial loser team but because of HF Oilers comments hurting feelings...

Those dastardly evil posters I say

Reactions: TheRebuild

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I hope that when Persson returns, Bear isn't the odd one out. He's a guy that I was most afraid of losing next year to waivers, but if he solidifies his position on the team I'm pretty stoked.

Nurse/Larsson
Klefbomb/Bear
Russell/Persson
Benning

That D corp still scares. With Kosk and Smith in net, the team literally needs to get rid of Benning and find someone, via moving out one of Nurse, Larsson or Russell, better than Klefbom. Klefbom is good for a 4M D playing 2-3 role...but he can't be your best especially with the make up of the team.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Well, it’s been an interesting camp. And tough to get a read on chemistry given the way Tippet wanted to learn about his team. I’ve watched every game, listened to every interview, paid attention to as much as I could and this is line-up I’ve come up with that I think has the best shot at competing this season (with some caveats):

FORWARDS:

Draisaitl McDavid Kassian
Jurco Nugent-Hopkins Neal
Khaira Sheahan Archibald
Nygard Cave Chiasson
Extras: Granlund, Russell

Caveat: I believe Haas gets send to Bakersfield for two weeks at which point they make the final decision between he and Cave. Haas was good tonight, but also made his fair share of over aggressive plays that he couldn’t quite fully execute. And hasn’t been much better than Cave the rest of the Orr-season. Plus, Tipp LOVES Cave. Don’t think Cave is a lock just yet.

I think Gagner will hit the waiver wire and we shall see. Don’t see anyone taking on the salary. Team might ultimately flip Gagner and Russell for the time being because it’s easy and Gags in the PB and Russell playing in CA is the best of a crappy situation. Granlund to me is a utility guy at the moment; when I guy needs to sit, he’s makes it easy to shuffle the lines and find a spot for him on the wings or at C.

I think we’ll outscore last year’s group of forwards, but I still don’t think we can be enough of a consistent threat outside the top line and don’t think we have to two way depth needed to help out what I think will be a struggling D.

On that note...

DEFENCE:

Klefbom Persson
Nurse Bear
Russell Larson
Extra: Benning

The D is fluid. Big time. First, Manning will go on waivers to see if there are any takers and when there aren’t, he’ll stay as the 7th D until Persson is ready, with Benning back in the lineup. When Persson IS healthy, Manning is off to Bakersfield. No way I keep Lagesseson, who should be on the team, as the #7 and sitting. Play him with Bouchard for as long as possible.

Benning and Bear will swap in and out I suspect, but only until mid to late November when they decide to bring up Bouchard. At which point they keep the better of Bear or Persson and play them with Klefbom (probably Persson) and send the other down (probably Bear). Bouchard plays with Nurse. And, god willing, we find a dance partner for Russell during the season at which point we finally give Lagesson his spot on the team, a spot I think he’ll be it for a loooooong time.

And I think they WILL find a taker for Benning at some point, perhaps packaged in a Pulujarvii trade?

By season’s end, the D should like like:

Klefbom Persson
Nurse Bouchard
Lagesson Larsson
Ext: Manning

Not good enough, but only only piece away on RD (which I think we’ll hVe the money to finally address in the off-season.

Smith will quickly and easily take over the starters job and be more than adequate, meaning his numbers might not sparkle, but we’ll hardly blame him. He’ll go down to injury for Kong stretches and then even Starrett will outplay Koskinen and we’ll have a problem on our hands with that contract and figuring out what to do with it. Dude won’t walk away from that money, so a threat of demotion won’t do anything and given the Sekera buyout, can’t see us buying him out either...expensive AHL goalie that will cause a major cap headache.

And that’s all she wrote. Don’t see forward call ups outside of injuries. I think they roll with this all season. Don’t even see a trade. I think the team would rather recalibrate on the off season. The only caveat is if they can move Jesse for a today package. Then we’ll see some changes.

Good analyze. I agree with you all along on Granlund. Is Tippet a good coach? We will find that out, but yet seems to be a bit smarter than McLellan. Tippet actually said he was disappointed with Gagners game, in that case, may he go down, doesnt stay top 6. But I suspect being pressboxed. They like P Russel, but as someone said, its preseason, where Caves and P Russels is playing in their best world. I belive P Russel is sent down as the last cut. TO many RW to compete with. And has Russel any offensive game, or is he just defensive? Let Cave play until Haas is ready, after that, it will never go back woth Cave. I like that Haas was over aggressive, probably Tippet had asked about that, he saw a lack of that, and Haas answered. Haas is halfway through the NA adjustment.
Nygård was advertised as a fringe top 6:er, but that was maybe to much wishing from my contryfellows. But think he stays, Tippet seems to like him.

Khaira is also making me wonder; how bad can a etablished player be at preseason, to be cut? It is preseason after all, but you have to think. Maybe injures has hampered his potential, I dont see more than a 4th liner here.

Defence is more intruging. Its sad if Adams fathers death is a part of the problem, I read from journalists in sweden that he took his fathers death hard, and is a deep emotional guy. I dont like Nurse Larsson as a pair.
And in seasons end, there are 3 offensive RD:s, in order : Bouchard, Persson, Bear. I liek to keep them all, but maybe it is impossible. Benning maybe isnt worth keeping, but I like that he brings a physical defensive game, no other D brings. Lagesson is now becoming one of our most important D prospects, after Bouchard of C. I also think Kris Russel is gone next summer, if he doesnt show to be a very steady D men this year, ages well. Adam Larsson may be the first one gone, if he has one more though year. He is young, he has quality, has tradevalue, but doesnt float right now.

Koskinen is Chiarellis last headache pill to Oilers. This contract is horrible. Unproven goalie with a overpaid contract. Untradeable, even at 50% retained. You just have to buy him out, unless he isnt improve with his play, and adresses the glove.

Last edited:

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Nurse and Larsson might as well dress the opposing team's jerseys. They've been a liability every pre-season game they've played together. Hopefully it's just a rough patch until the chemistry is established.

Jurco has shown up, especially the last 2 games he played. Was average last night, and if they cut him based on this game, I'll be pissed.

You know the hockey gods are having a piss right now, of course it's Tobias and Milan that score all the goals for Calgary. They got a taste of the Former Oiler blessing that happens to almost every former oiler player immediately after departure.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
That D corp still scares. With Kosk and Smith in net, the team literally needs to get rid of Benning and find someone, via moving out one of Nurse, Larsson or Russell, better than Klefbom. Klefbom is good for a 4M D playing 2-3 role...but he can't be your best especially with the make up of the team.

Agreed. Larsson hasn't looked good to me. Bear or Persson isn't ideal in the top 4, I hope we can add a quality D next season when cap opens up.

How do you feel about Bear vs Persson? When I think 'big picture', I think - "Well, they seem rather close to me. Both have 2 years of pro experience, however, Persson is 3 years older. How much more will he develop vs Bear?"

Persson looked good early in camp against softer comp with Klef as opposed to Bear looking good later in camp against better competition.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Agreed. Larsson hasn't looked good to me. Bear or Persson isn't ideal in the top 4, I hope we can add a quality D next season when cap opens up.

How do you feel about Bear vs Persson? When I think 'big picture', I think - "Well, they seem rather close to me. Both have 2 years of pro experience, however, Persson is 3 years older. How much more will he develop vs Bear?"

Persson looked good early in camp against softer comp with Klef as opposed to Bear looking good later in camp against better competition.

Is Bear no longer waiver exempt? I'd think if Persson is back from injury, one of Manning/Benning will be waived or even a Nurse/Larsson/Russell trade.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
You know the hockey gods are having a piss right now, of course it's Tobias and Milan that score all the goals for Calgary. They got a taste of the Former Oiler blessing that happens to almost every former oiler player immediately after departure.

Ya. It's called going to a team with dmen who know how to pass the puck.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Isn't that what Tippett alluded to regarding WHC Larsson and NHL Larsson. The former is engaged and the latter is playing as if he never liked hockey in the first place.

There were distinct turning points in the decrease level of Larsson's play - his back injury and the sudden death of his father (in Edmonton). It is possible the one or both are responsible for his decline, and (putting aside being an Oilers fan) a person can empathize.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I thought we played well tonight. We were missing arguably 3 of our best 4 players in that line up and probably 5 of our best 10. Didnt have a problem with the game at all. Good work out there.

We were missing 5 players in total from our starting lineup. Not 10..

Calgarys topsix wasn't even playing with any intensity. They played, but took the game off.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
We were missing 5 players in total from our starting lineup. Not 10..

Calgarys topsix wasn't even playing with any intensity. They played, but took the game off.

We were missing McDavid, Nuge, and Klefbom. Those 3 players are better than the rest of our team combined.

Reactions: RegDunlop and TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad