Post-Game Talk: The one where terrible ex-Oilers scored all the Flames goals

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We were missing McDavid, Nuge, and Klefbom. Those 3 players are better than the rest of our team combined.

I was just clarifying we were not missing anything close to 10 players, we were missing 5. I have no idea how the other poster counted 10.

The reality is with everybody in the lineup we still have gaping holes all over it.

With Larsson being terrible, and Nurse joining him our D is rags right now. Goaltending bad any time Smith isn't in net. Forwards, still holes and unfortunately we let Burdasov, who looked like he could fill one of those holes go.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
We were missing 5 players in total from our starting lineup. Not 10..

Calgarys topsix wasn't even playing with any intensity. They played, but took the game off.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit - I said we were missing 5 of our top 10 players. Not that we were missing 10 players total.

McDavid, Klef and RNH being the 3 of the top 4 I mentioned first.

Neal and Russel being the 2 of the top 10 - although that point is up for debate I'm sure. We have a log jam of average to below average players at that mark.

[Edit] that makes 5 players total by the way that could be considered top 10 players on our team. Just in case there is confusion on the math.

Last edited:

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Is Bear no longer waiver exempt? I'd think if Persson is back from injury, one of Manning/Benning will be waived or even a Nurse/Larsson/Russell trade.

This is Bear, Jones, and Lagesson's final season of waiver eligibility. If Bear sticks this year, it will be great for us to really evaluate what we have in him. I had just assumed that in the 2020/21 season, Bouchard would have won the 3RD job. That would leave Bear, Jones, Lagesson, and Persson fighting for 3LD and 7D.

This is assuming that we find an NHL vet for 2RD while simultaneously getting rid of Russell.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit - I said we were missing 5 of our top 10 players. Not that we were missing 10 players total.

McDavid, Klef and RNH being the 3 of the top 4 I mentioned first.

Neal and Russel being the 2 of the top 10 - although that point is up for debate I'm sure. We have a log jam of average to below average players at that mark.

[Edit] that makes 5 players total by the way that could be considered top 10 players on our team. Just in case there is confusion on the math.

Gotcha. Somehow I discombobulated that one. No coffee this morn.

Yep, In anycase its debatable whether Russell or Neal are in that topten. Or if we even have a clear topten. Fact stands that vast majority of starting players, were in the lineup yesterday. Sure McD moves the needle. Nuge somewhat, and Klef somewhat. Other than McD we're not missing world beaters and we only have a couple of those.

Reactions: Satire

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know this: if Larsson, Nurse, and our goalies don’t play a hell of a lot better than they’ve showed in preseason, our year is over before it’s begin.

Nurse will play better the moment he's not saddled with sad distracted Larsson. Which solves one of the problems.

Its interesting that Larsson, who stated himself he was crap last year, is still playing this bad this season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So what's the deal with Nurse? He has the tools to be a solid shutdown guy but it sounds like he's struggled in the role. Is it still bad reads that are hurting him? Or is it being bummed that he isn't getting gravy offensive minutes in his contract year? I've always been a bit concerned about the former.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Geez, some of you....

"Larsson can't do a single thing".... "Koskinen should never play another game"...

a) It's the frickin' pre-season.
b) Larsson has had a couple of really good, plus one passable, seasons in the past 4 years. Okay, last season was a disaster, but at 26 he's not a guy you give up on... yet. He could still have ten good years left in this League. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. That said, the noose is getting tighter. (And no, Oilers' fans don't hold the trade against him. Oilers' fans are generally smart.)
c) Among forwards and D, Koskinen was probably the team's most valuable player last season. But hey, he let in three goals in the pre-season, behind 1/2 an AHL team, so he never play another game.

I begin to understand why so many free agents don't want to play in Edmonton...

lolol

Ridiculous reaction to reactions..

But this;

"Among forwards and D, Koskinen was probably the team's most valuable player last season"

hahahaha

For a second there I thought you were serious..

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
lolol

Ridiculous reaction to reactions..

But this;

"Among forwards and D, Koskinen was probably the team's most valuable player last season"

hahahaha

For a second there I thought you were serious..

Koskinen's hot streak was the only thing that kept us from a bottom 3 finish outside of the big 3 and Nurse's offensive breakout season. I sure hope that Smith and maybe even Starrett are going to be better than Talbot was if/when Koskinen keeps playing poorly.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
I was at the game although unfortunately sitting at the "Flames attacking end" where I saw only one goal up close. The Oilers looked terrible until they went down 2-0 and suddenly started executing. I was kind of impressed with this group's resilience. Nygard and Haas can both skate and make plays at speed. It is going to be hard to keep them off a team that was too slow last year. Nurses giveaway on the game winning goal was a play the Oilers had been making successfully all night. It wasn't a "bonehead move" he just botched the pass.

And oh that hip check by Chiasson at the end was a thing of beauty to see live. That is such a rare play these days.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This is Bear, Jones, and Lagesson's final season of waiver eligibility. If Bear sticks this year, it will be great for us to really evaluate what we have in him. I had just assumed that in the 2020/21 season, Bouchard would have won the 3RD job. That would leave Bear, Jones, Lagesson, and Persson fighting for 3LD and 7D.

This is assuming that we find an NHL vet for 2RD while simultaneously getting rid of Russell.

We dint need a vet 2 RD. Put Benning or Russell there and develop Bear on the 3rd pairing until he forces his way up the lineup. Something like this:

Klefbom-Benning
Russell-Larsson
Nurse-Bear

Next year when Bouchard is ready we move on from Benning and Russell to run

Klefbom-Bear
Nurse-Bouchard
Lagesson-Larsson

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
So what's the deal with Nurse? He has the tools to be a solid shutdown guy but it sounds like he's struggled in the role. Is it still bad reads that are hurting him? Or is it being bummed that he isn't getting gravy offensive minutes in his contract year? I've always been a bit concerned about the former.

He's getting gravy offensive minutes. When you put a dman on the #1 PP whos afraid to shoot, you get what we got yesterday. The offence on the PP starts on the point, as a defenceman you need to shoot the puck and not always be handing it off to Draisaitl or Mcdavid.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I was at the game although unfortunately sitting at the "Flames attacking end" where I saw only one goal up close. The Oilers looked terrible until they went down 2-0 and suddenly started executing. I was kind of impressed with this group's resilience. Nygard and Haas can both skate and make plays at speed. It is going to be hard to keep them off a team that was too slow last year. Nurses giveaway on the game winning goal was a play the Oilers had been making successfully all night. It wasn't a "bonehead move" he just botched the pass.

And oh that hip check by Chiasson at the end was a thing of beauty to see live. That is such a rare play these days.

I thought it was a solid and clean hit as well... unfortunately in the NHL nowadays it's such a wimpy, whiny league that you always get opponent's panties in a bunch when making a good solid hit like that.

Phlegms like to dish out their dirty illegal cheap shot shit but cry foul when they have solid, legal hits and checks against them. Giordano is the 2nd biggest baby on that team behind Gaudreau.

Reactions: TB12

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Watching Koskinen play is scary, what do the Oilers plan on doing about his glove? It's one of the worst I've seen in 30 years of watching the NHL. He continues to drop it when he goes down into butterfly and it exposes the entire top half of the net. You know it's bad when even stone hands reider scores on you glove side.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
I thought it was a solid and clean hit as well... unfortunately in the NHL nowadays it's such a wimpy, whiny league that you always get opponent's panties in a bunch when making a good solid hit like that.

Phlegms like to dish out their dirty illegal cheap shot **** but cry foul when they have solid, legal hits and checks against them.

To be honest watching it live I thought it might be interference until I saw the replay on the scoreboard. Nope it was clean. The reason we never see hip checks anymore is because they are difficult to execute and if you miss you are a mile out of position looking like an idiot.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Watching Koskinen play is scary, what do the Oilers plan on doing about his glove? It's one of the worst I've seen in 30 years of watching the NHL. He continues to drop it when he goes down into butterfly and it exposes the entire top half of the net. You know it's bad when even stone hands reider scores on you glove side.

Replace it with another blocker.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Koskinen's hot streak was the only thing that kept us from a bottom 3 finish outside of the big 3 and Nurse's offensive breakout season. I sure hope that Smith and maybe even Starrett are going to be better than Talbot was if/when Koskinen keeps playing poorly.
Now I'll wait for you to draft Koskinen in the late rounds in a few hours. :D

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I don't know why but I am concerned about the latter.

Seems like everyone on the team and in the nhl period are more concerned with money and personal status than winning anymore.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Anyone mind filling me in on what happened to Persson? I haven't been able to find it oddly.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Koskinen is tall... just needs to fatten up a lot more...

View media item 6039

...and eat a whole lotta mustard...

View media item 2853
Tj5c8EaXZSq3rrMW7

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's getting gravy offensive minutes. When you put a dman on the #1 PP whos afraid to shoot, you get what we got yesterday. The offence on the PP starts on the point, as a defenceman you need to shoot the puck and not always be handing it off to Draisaitl or Mcdavid.

I agree with whoever said that Bear should be on the PP. He is likely our best passing and PP defenseman on the club with only Persson having something to say about that and of course Bouchard on the farm. Nurse has a hard shot, not sure why he wasn't using it if he wasn't yesterday.

Reactions: Raab

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I agree with whoever said that Bear should be on the PP. He is likely our best passing and PP defenseman on the club with only Persson having something to say about that and of course Bouchard on the farm. Nurse has a hard shot, not sure why he wasn't using it if he wasn't yesterday.

Nurse had tonnes of time yesterday to get a good wrister on net and didn’t take it. Those point shots themselves don’t have to be super hard, they just need to get through and they usually lead to a rebound or deflection. If you look at a lot of goals scored in the NHL, most of them are off point shots that were deflected or off rebounds created from the point shot. Why you wouldn’t use it and try to go for the perfect play is beyond me. An ugly goal is worth as much as a pretty goal. Wish Ryan Smyth was around to teach the boys that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad