Post-Game Talk: The one where terrible ex-Oilers scored all the Flames goals

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
We dint need a vet 2 RD. Put Benning or Russell there and develop Bear on the 3rd pairing until he forces his way up the lineup. Something like this:

Klefbom-Benning
Russell-Larsson
Nurse-Bear

Next year when Bouchard is ready we move on from Benning and Russell to run

Klefbom-Bear
Nurse-Bouchard
Lagesson-Larsson

If Benning is on your top pair, you've lost before the game even starts. You should be sad that you brought it up.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Larsson is probably this teams 6th best dman right now.

Huh! Preseason is preseason, it hurts his game when he arent psysical! 6th D on the team? You have 5 D on the team that you will give 1st line duty against the other teams toplines, huh!!!

He will come around when it matters!

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Before we brush off Larsson's preseason performance as "it's just preseason" we should keep in mind he hasn't looked much different than this over the last two full years.
I am more than worried about his impact (or lack thereof) again this year.

What is slightly promising is I think Tippett has a good pulse on the player's last two years and will be much harder on him to try and bring back 16-17 Larsson.
Tippett called him out going into camp, and he's not the type to overlook poor play just because Larsson is the default first option on the right hand side.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Lucic's goal was not a fluke I think. Look at the goal. Great movement on the blue line from the D, and awesome shot on net from the D. That's what Lucic was made for, owning territory around the net and picking up the garbage.

He failed here because we have no offensive ability from the blueline. Our offense has to come on the rush, or from individual efforts, and that means you can't be slow. If your blueline can actually support a cycle in the offensive zone, speed is not as important

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Lucic's goal was not a fluke I think. Look at the goal. Great movement on the blue line from the D, and awesome shot on net from the D. That's what Lucic was made for, owning territory around the net and picking up the garbage.

He failed here because we have no offensive ability from the blueline. Our offense has to come on the rush, or from individual efforts, and that means you can't be slow. If your blueline can actually support a cycle in the offensive zone, speed is not as important

Nah, it was a fluke.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country

For real? Lucic getting 5 goals all year, significant powerplay time, handling the puck like a hot potato and skating like the ice was made of the very puddled material his brain is made of is the blueline's fault? He long forgot how to own territory in front of the net in the last two years with us. Just because he scored a preseason goal with Matt freaking Benning losing his man in front of the net proves zilch.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
For real? Lucic getting 5 goals all year, significant powerplay time, handling the puck like a hot potato and skating like the ice was made of the very puddled material his brain is made of is the blueline's fault? He long forgot how to own territory in front of the net in the last two years with us. Just because he scored a preseason goal with Matt freaking Benning losing his man in front of the net proves zilch.

He was too busy being beside the net, not in front, when he played for us. What good was that when the opposition's goalie could have a clear line of sight to the puck?

Lucic was a PoS for us and with piss poor attitude.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

He also had some of the best passers in the world playing with him...

I fail to see your point

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
that goal wasn't net front presence either though, just territory around the net.

And our PP was bad for everyone last year, not just Lucic. His production was not that low considering that guys with big minutes like Nurse and Klefbom were getting only getting around 10 points as our top threats on the blue line.

And that play last night was not what Lucic was working with last year at all. Quick, smart passing on the blueline with the right amount of aggression and a quick, hard shot on net, leaving a puck in a perfect spot. No, our PP tried to pass the puck in the net because the D couldn't do anything, which isn't the same as net front chaos created by a competently skilled blue line.

And I'm not saying that Lucic will be a great player for them. I do think he will get a lot more PP points if all he has to do is outmuscle a spot by the net and pick up the garbage, and if you haven't noticed, that's what most teams do in the modern NHL, but not our team.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He also had some of the best passers in the world playing with him...

I fail to see your point
just to add to my last post, yes I don't think Lucic is that great at participating in a cycle by giving and recieving passes. He's not a great player. But that goal last night wasn't that, and he'll score quite a few or assist quite a few like that.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
that goal wasn't net front presence either though, just territory around the net.

And our PP was bad for everyone last year, not just Lucic. His production was not that low considering that guys with big minutes like Nurse and Klefbom were getting only getting around 10 points as our top threats on the blue line.

And that play last night was not what Lucic was working with last year at all. Quick, smart passing on the blueline with the right amount of aggression and a quick, hard shot on net, leaving a puck in a perfect spot. No, our PP tried to pass the puck in the net because the D couldn't do anything, which isn't the same as net front chaos created by a competently skilled blue line.

And I'm not saying that Lucic will be a great player for them. I do think he will get a lot more PP points if all he has to do is outmuscle a spot by the net and pick up the garbage, and if you haven't noticed, that's what most teams do in the modern NHL, but not our team.

You're wrong on so many levels. Sorry.
Being positive is fine, ignoring realities is wrong.
Our PP was 9th in the league last season.
Defending Lucic is thin ground already. Using a complete lie to defend Lucic is just silly.

Reactions: frag2

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
just to add to my last post, yes I don't think Lucic is that great at participating in a cycle by giving and recieving passes. He's not a great player. But that goal last night wasn't that, and he'll score quite a few or assist quite a few like that.
I’ll bet he doesn’t get “quite a few” of those.
Oh and our PP wasn’t bad.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You're wrong on so many levels. Sorry.
Being positive is fine, ignoring realities is wrong.
Our PP was 9th in the league last season.
Defending Lucic is thin ground already. Using a complete lie to defend Lucic is just silly.
What lie, that our PP was bad? Our PP was powered by the best player in the world doing one shot scores or passing it into the net, and another player who would be a 1C on many teams, and yes, you can find some success in this league by just letting them go wild, but c'mon, do you think our PP looked normal last year, like how others look? There seemed to be not much cycling, and quite of lot of McDavid rushes from the Dzone fueling that thing. And yes, Lucic is really bad in participating in that offense, but I'm just saying it's a whole different style of play on the Flames that suits him better.

And btw I think Neal will be good for us too, and if I have a bias it's that I think win-win trades are always the ideal. I don't hate Lucic, or like him, but he seemed like a good guy who didn't fit here, and I wish him well even if it is with the Flames. And I still want the Flames to lose.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

All of our offense last season was it Mcdavid scores or sets up a goal off the rush. Hopefully that changes this season.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What lie, that our PP was bad? Our PP was powered by the best player in the world doing one shot scores or passing it into the net, and another player who would be a 1C on many teams, and yes, you can find some success in this league by just letting them go wild, but c'mon, do you think our PP looked normal last year, like how others look? There seemed to be not much cycling, and quite of lot of McDavid rushes from the Dzone fueling that thing. And yes, Lucic is really bad in participating in that offense, but I'm just saying it's a whole different style of play on the Flames that suits him better.

And btw I think Neal will be good for us too, and if I have a bias it's that I think win-win trades are always the ideal. I don't hate Lucic, or like him, but he seemed like a good guy who didn't fit here, and I wish him well even if it is with the Flames. And I still want the Flames to lose.

Calgary was the last team I wanted Lucic traded to. They’re a team full of pests that had no muscle to back them up. Now they’ll play a foot taller knowing that Lucic will fight their battles for them. Now shit disturbers like Tkachuk will run around all game without having to worry about repercussions.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Calgary was the last team I wanted Lucic traded to. They’re a team full of pests that had no muscle to back them up. Now they’ll play a foot taller knowing that Lucic will fight their battles for them. Now **** disturbers like Tkachuk will run around all game without having to worry about repercussions.
I agree, a little. I disagree in that I still don't think he will be a high-minute player, so his effect on any game will be minimal. Quite frankly I think they went a little too far in their assumption that their softness is why they left the playoffs early. Getting rid of Neal was important, I suppose because of the rumor was that it was a toxic locker room. Also you are right that Lucic will be out there sometimes and it will lead to plays like the Flames remember where Lucic had a key play that turned their roster timid.

But ultimately, we only play the Flames a handful of times all year. I don't care about helping them as long as we get helped too. We have more room for improvement anyway, lol

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I agree, a little. I disagree in that I still don't think he will be a high-minute player, so his effect on any game will be minimal. Quite frankly I think they went a little too far in their assumption that their softness is why they left the playoffs early. Getting rid of Neal was important, I suppose because of the rumor was that it was a toxic locker room. Also you are right that Lucic will be out there sometimes and it will lead to plays like the Flames remember where Lucic had a key play that turned their roster timid.

But ultimately, we only play the Flames a handful of times all year. I don't care about helping them as long as we get helped too. We have more room for improvement anyway, lol

They got outskilled and outclassed by the Avalanche. The only player that was outmuscling them was Zadarov and they had no answer for him. Lucic would have made zero difference in that series. They also had numerous players overachieve and have career years last season, something that will be very hard to repeat. They will still finish top 3 in our division but they won't be a top team in the league next season.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They got outskilled and outclassed by the Avalanche. The only player that was outmuscling them was Zadarov and they had no answer for him. Lucic would have made zero difference in that series. They also had numerous players overachieve and have career years last season, something that will be very hard to repeat. They will still finish top 3 in our division but they won't be a top team in the league next season.
I didn't watch their series, but I recall fans saying they didn't like the softness. But maybe it could be that they know they will never match that kind of skill as long as their top center is a guy like Monahan who cannot compare to a MacKinnon, so maybe their best bet to fight that is to at least have a physical edge.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Calgary was the last team I wanted Lucic traded to. They’re a team full of pests that had no muscle to back them up. Now they’ll play a foot taller knowing that Lucic will fight their battles for them. Now **** disturbers like Tkachuk will run around all game without having to worry about repercussions.

Yeah, you could see it even yesterday. An Oiler D is involved in taking the slightest of liberties in a hit and its a big deal and Lucic comes crashing in. On another scrum 4 Flames are going at Chiasson for a hit.

Its the kind of bushleague stuff you can expect even more from the Flames. Meanwhile the Oilers got smaller in the offseason, and got much less physical Lucic wasn't much here but he was the leading hitter. We don't have much of that in the lineup.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah, you could see it even yesterday. An Oiler D is involved in taking the slightest of liberties in a hit and its a big deal and Lucic comes crashing in. On another scrum 4 Flames are going at Chiasson for a hit.

Its the kind of bushleague stuff you can expect even more from the Flames. Meanwhile the Oilers got smaller in the offseason, and got much less physical Lucic wasn't much here but he was the leading hitter. We don't have much of that in the lineup.

We're going to be a soft, skilled team under Holland which is fine with me if it means we're winning games. As of now our only "tough" players are Nurse, Khaira and Kassian with Kassian and Khaira probably gone by next season. During the regular season I can see us getting bullied by Calgary the next few seasons with them taking a few runs at Mcdavid. The one thing I'll give Lucic credit for is that he's never been a cheap player and will usually only run guys when him or his team mates are getting played to physical.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We're going to be a soft, skilled team under Holland which is fine with me if it means we're winning games. As of now our only "tough" players are Nurse, Khaira and Kassian with Kassian and Khaira probably gone by next season. During the regular season I can see us getting bullied by Calgary the next few seasons with them taking a few runs at Mcdavid. The one thing I'll give Lucic credit for is that he's never been a cheap player and will usually only run guys when him or his team mates are getting played to physical.

The trouble with the Formula is McD and Drai are both big guys. Guys that won't back down. Teams wills specifically target that and continue to even goon those players. McD and Drai have both already been injured through teams taking liberties. Its problematic. Really our best play, imo, is going Legion of doom style like the Flyers did with Lindros. Its why I get so upset that we release guys like Maroon, Slepy, now Burdasov. Those guys are huge apes, and we need them, and Connor and Drai do their thing best when playing with a large physical player.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The trouble with the Formula is McD and Drai are both big guys. Guys that won't back down. Teams wills specifically target that and continue to even goon those players. McD and Drai have both already been injured through teams taking liberties. Its problematic. Really our best play, imo, is going Legion of doom style like the Flyers did with Lindros. Its why I get so upset that we release guys like Maroon, Slepy, now Burdasov. Those guys are huge apes, and we need them, and Connor and Drai do their thing best when playing with a large physical player.

That's one of the main reasons I wanted Maroon back, especially after Lucic got traded.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007

Why are you making up story lines? Detroit was never a soft team. They have always been a skilled hard working team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad