Post-Game Talk: The one where terrible ex-Oilers scored all the Flames goals

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Soft doesn’t mean that they didn’t work hard. They just weren’t known to play physical outside of a few players.

Why do you think we will be getting rid of all our physical players? A hard working team with a few physical players is how most teams operate. Why do you think we will become a soft team that allows our star players to be ran?

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I agree with whoever said that Bear should be on the PP. He is likely our best passing and PP defenseman on the club with only Persson having something to say about that and of course Bouchard on the farm. Nurse has a hard shot, not sure why he wasn't using it if he wasn't yesterday.
Nurse looked like a lost puppy dog manning the PP. Sheesh. Put himself in such bad positions to pass or other guys. No command back there. Scared to shoot. Etc, etc. Klefbom sucks too, but he looks more confident.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Lucic's goal was not a fluke I think. Look at the goal. Great movement on the blue line from the D, and awesome shot on net from the D. That's what Lucic was made for, owning territory around the net and picking up the garbage.

He failed here because we have no offensive ability from the blueline. Our offense has to come on the rush, or from individual efforts, and that means you can't be slow. If your blueline can actually support a cycle in the offensive zone, speed is not as important
Exactly. Not having dmen who are creative in the o-zone and can control the puck is devastating. You watch CGY and you see a few of their dmen get the puck, hold off a second, get it on net. Or they make smart plays and not just throw it away in the corner every time.

Our D are handcuffing our forwards. It is a miracle that McDavid and Drai get the points that they do, The D are no help on the rush or in the o zone.

Reactions: Raab

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Why do you think we will be getting rid of all our physical players? A hard working team with a few physical players is how most teams operate. Why do you think we will become a soft team that allows our star players to be ran?

I’m saying we are going to get ran by Calgary with no real answer to them now that they have Lucic. All we really need is one big, physical player in the top six which we don’t really have at the moment. Draisaitl and Neal are both big and physical but don’t hit that often.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Despite scoring a goal, one of the enjoyable elements of watching the game was viewing Lucic trying to take a pass on the PP. 3 times he couldn't take an elemental pass that he knew was coming to him. Twice he pushed the puck forward out of his range when taking a pass. At one point the Saddledome groaned audibly seeing this (and it wasn't them hollering looch at that moment)

I state this because something in Lucic hand eye coordination is gone, and still not back. He did well on the goal but the prognosis for a forward who consistently can't take a pass is problematic. Either due to his back. cognition impairment, CTE, something, Lucic has trouble reacting to the play and is always slow to the play. His reads are behind the play.

His present reaction time on display seems poorly suited for hockey played at its top level.

He'll pick his spots and get some rewards but using him on the PP is strange unless he develops more regular hands around the net.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I’m saying we are going to get ran by Calgary with no real answer to them now that they have Lucic. All we really need is one big, physical player in the top six which we don’t really have at the moment. Draisaitl and Neal are both big and physical but don’t hit that often.

I would love to see Neal absolutely dummy Lucic and get a Gordie Howe Hatty in the first game against cowtown.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would love to see Neal absolutely dummy Lucic and get a Gordie Howe Hatty in the first game against cowtown.

2z17zt.jpg

Best playoffs since 2004!!!!

Reactions: Llamamoto49

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Kind of bugged me that the Flames were playing Lucic and Rieder and yet we didn't even have Neal out there. Oh well, onto season.

Eh. Let those two air their grievances in the preseason, I'm happy to have Neal and Smith do that in the season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Because we've often been that team and have had a lineage of walking away from heat, conflict, etc. We've even had a rep for that and teams targeting us because of it. Anybody remember Hemsky's head repeatedly getting drilled into the boards with high shots?

Teams take liberties against us and they still do. albeit even with Lucic and Kass and Nurse here they did.

Unlike Detroit, which always maintained that lunchbucket work through all the challenges toughness we haven't had resiliency here. We have a team here that beens known to fold in storms. That's still a dilemma, albeit less likely Holland and Tippet learn to tolerate it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Semi-weekly reminder to the board that the Flames radio PBP guy cried man tears on air after the Flames were eliminated from the playoffs. HE CRIED! #peopledontforget

Show me on the chart the bad places Mr. MacKinnon touched you ...

Was hilarious watching a rookie Cale Makar outplay their so-called Norris trophy d-man, lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So are they really splitting up McDavid and Draisaitl? I know they want to even out the lines but when you have magic like that, I would've rode with them all season.

It's a practice combo, people can relax. There will be 5000 different lineup variations through the year and things can change by period 2.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
If I remember right, Rieder and Lucic also scored in the last pre-season game of last year... Hopefully, history repeats...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not worried with guys taking liberties on Drai, mostly cause whenever guys like Tkachuk has tried, Drai is always left standing.

Nurse, Khaira and Kassian bring a lot of physicality. Larsson when his game is on also hits a ton too.

Reactions: RegDunlop

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Watching Koskinen play is scary, what do the Oilers plan on doing about his glove? It's one of the worst I've seen in 30 years of watching the NHL. He continues to drop it when he goes down into butterfly and it exposes the entire top half of the net. You know it's bad when even stone hands reider scores on you glove side.

IIRC, he supremely sucked last pre-season as well.

Then he played well in the regular season till he got tired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad