Post-Game Talk: The one where terrible ex-Oilers scored all the Flames goals

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Drivesaitl ... hating Gagner?!?

colour me surpreplacement! Genuinely. What happened

I'm honest enough to say it. The game Gagner played tonight can't happen. Especially when he's on the top unit PP.

he started Ok but then just sunk into doing not much else other than watching the play.

he had too many nights like that in Vancouver which is part of why he ended up in the AHL.

The talent has always been there with this player. The consistent drive is worth questioning.

Its not there.

Reactions: Aerchon

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Jujar is in the lineup because if he could ever string more than 2 quality shifts together you would have a hell of a player.

He leaves you wanting so much more......gives a brief flash and then fades.

Make or break year for him

What happened to his skating? Used to skate quite well for a big man...now he seems sluggish.
He is a poor puck handler and without his skating he doesnt add very much to this team IMO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ever since his Dad passed he's been a shell of his former self

I think there is something to this. He really hasnt been the same player at all since that happened.
Sometimes in sport we forget that these guys are human and have the same vulnerabilities and frailties as everybody else.

Reactions: DerpMorg

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I missed the last two periods. Was it explained why Rieder and Lucic used up all their goals for the year in a meaningless preseason game? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Oilhawks

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
The $4.5M goalie finishes preseason with a .864 SV% and 3.74 GAA, while showing the same issues as last season. Dammit all to hell.

Like i said before when he was playing well his glove hand was actually good to decent but i'm pretty sure like every single goalie the Oilers have had since Schwartz was hired we all know what happened. For the love of god leave our young goalies in the AHL until we fire Schwartz or it'll happen to them too...

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
I haven't really been following preseason in as much detail as I would have liked. Can anyone explain if there is a reason that Nurse and Larsson have been paired together so much if it clearly isn't working? Klefbom-Larsson has worked well as a pairing in the past. Has Tippet gone back to that at all?

Just wondering if Larsson just needs a different style partner and if that will help. Everyone keeps saying he always plays better in the worlds for Sweden - so why not give him a familiar partner from Sweden to play with? Might help?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The $4.5M goalie finishes preseason with a .864 SV% and 3.74 GAA, while showing the same issues as last season. Dammit all to hell.

The cause of at least some of his issues hasn’t been relieved of his position yet... every Oiler goalie that has been coached by Schwartz has seen their glove hand go all to shit.

Reactions: Del Preston

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I haven't really been following preseason in as much detail as I would have liked. Can anyone explain if there is a reason that Nurse and Larsson have been paired together so much if it clearly isn't working? Klefbom-Larsson has worked well as a pairing in the past. Has Tippet gone back to that at all?

Just wondering if Larsson just needs a different style partner and if that will help. Everyone keeps saying he always plays better in the worlds for Sweden - so why not give him a familiar partner from Sweden to play with? Might help?

they tried Klefbom lots last season - he dragged him down. That’s why Nurse-Larsson was tried in the first place.

Reactions: cpsman

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I hope that when Persson returns, Bear isn't the odd one out. He's a guy that I was most afraid of losing next year to waivers, but if he solidifies his position on the team I'm pretty stoked.

Nurse/Larsson
Klefbomb/Bear
Russell/Persson
Benning

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Jujar is in the lineup because if he could ever string more than 2 quality shifts together you would have a hell of a player.

He leaves you wanting so much more......gives a brief flash and then fades.

Make or break year for him
He is also big, tough, good skater, and wears the D down.
We dont have many like him.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

they tried Klefbom lots last season - he dragged him down. That’s why Nurse-Larsson was tried in the first place.

Nurse Larsson was reasonably good two years ago. Klefbom Larsson really struggled last year.

Not sure what's going on there. Very discouraging.

Buchburger1683

Jun 20, 2014
Well, it’s been an interesting camp. And tough to get a read on chemistry given the way Tippet wanted to learn about his team. I’ve watched every game, listened to every interview, paid attention to as much as I could and this is line-up I’ve come up with that I think has the best shot at competing this season (with some caveats):

FORWARDS:

Draisaitl McDavid Kassian
Jurco Nugent-Hopkins Neal
Khaira Sheahan Archibald
Nygard Cave Chiasson
Extras: Granlund, Russell

Caveat: I believe Haas gets send to Bakersfield for two weeks at which point they make the final decision between he and Cave. Haas was good tonight, but also made his fair share of over aggressive plays that he couldn’t quite fully execute. And hasn’t been much better than Cave the rest of the Orr-season. Plus, Tipp LOVES Cave. Don’t think Cave is a lock just yet.

I think Gagner will hit the waiver wire and we shall see. Don’t see anyone taking on the salary. Team might ultimately flip Gagner and Russell for the time being because it’s easy and Gags in the PB and Russell playing in CA is the best of a crappy situation. Granlund to me is a utility guy at the moment; when I guy needs to sit, he’s makes it easy to shuffle the lines and find a spot for him on the wings or at C.

I think we’ll outscore last year’s group of forwards, but I still don’t think we can be enough of a consistent threat outside the top line and don’t think we have to two way depth needed to help out what I think will be a struggling D.

On that note...

DEFENCE:

Klefbom Persson
Nurse Bear
Russell Larson
Extra: Benning

The D is fluid. Big time. First, Manning will go on waivers to see if there are any takers and when there aren’t, he’ll stay as the 7th D until Persson is ready, with Benning back in the lineup. When Persson IS healthy, Manning is off to Bakersfield. No way I keep Lagesseson, who should be on the team, as the #7 and sitting. Play him with Bouchard for as long as possible.

Benning and Bear will swap in and out I suspect, but only until mid to late November when they decide to bring up Bouchard. At which point they keep the better of Bear or Persson and play them with Klefbom (probably Persson) and send the other down (probably Bear). Bouchard plays with Nurse. And, god willing, we find a dance partner for Russell during the season at which point we finally give Lagesson his spot on the team, a spot I think he’ll be it for a loooooong time.

And I think they WILL find a taker for Benning at some point, perhaps packaged in a Pulujarvii trade?

By season’s end, the D should like like:

Klefbom Persson
Nurse Bouchard
Lagesson Larsson
Ext: Manning

Not good enough, but only only piece away on RD (which I think we’ll hVe the money to finally address in the off-season.

Smith will quickly and easily take over the starters job and be more than adequate, meaning his numbers might not sparkle, but we’ll hardly blame him. He’ll go down to injury for Kong stretches and then even Starrett will outplay Koskinen and we’ll have a problem on our hands with that contract and figuring out what to do with it. Dude won’t walk away from that money, so a threat of demotion won’t do anything and given the Sekera buyout, can’t see us buying him out either...expensive AHL goalie that will cause a major cap headache.

And that’s all she wrote. Don’t see forward call ups outside of injuries. I think they roll with this all season. Don’t even see a trade. I think the team would rather recalibrate on the off season. The only caveat is if they can move Jesse for a today package. Then we’ll see some changes.

Reactions: SwedishFire

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I thought we played well tonight. We were missing arguably 3 of our best 4 players in that line up and probably 5 of our best 10. Didnt have a problem with the game at all. Good work out there.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Cave played 77 minutes in preseason... had 1 secondary assist and 7 shots in all that time.

This is what we can expect... a secondary point or so about every 1.5 hours of TOI... but ya he's working hard out there and skating and doing stuff with skates and a stick like he's a hockey player and the coach loves that type of player.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Cave played 77 minutes in preseason... had 1 secondary assist and 7 shots in all that time.

This is what we can expect... a secondary point or so about every 1.5 hours of TOI... but ya he's working hard out there and skating and doing stuff with skates and a stick like he's a hockey player and the coach loves that type of player.

He’s basically a poor mans version of Ryan Strome, lol.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Geez, some of you....

"Larsson can't do a single thing".... "Koskinen should never play another game"...

a) It's the frickin' pre-season.
b) Larsson has had a couple of really good, plus one passable, seasons in the past 4 years. Okay, last season was a disaster, but at 26 he's not a guy you give up on... yet. He could still have ten good years left in this League. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. That said, the noose is getting tighter. (And no, Oilers' fans don't hold the trade against him. Oilers' fans are generally smart.)
c) Among forwards and D, Koskinen was probably the team's most valuable player last season. But hey, he let in three goals in the pre-season, behind 1/2 an AHL team, so he never play another game.

I begin to understand why so many free agents don't want to play in Edmonton...

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Nah, we should just try the exact same lineup as last season lol

Bear brings offense and puck movement which makes up for his odd defensive lapses

We disagree a lot but on our backend the biggest thing we need is for the puck to keep moving forward. Bear does that

People don't like change around here man.. I bang my head against the wall constantly.. made playoffs once in last 12 years... and don't want change lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad