OT: The Olympics

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
2 dudes that have known each other since 2010 competing for gold. They train together, rehabbed ankle injuries together, and one guy went to the other's wedding. Italian and Qatari. Neck and neck until both went 0/3 on their last jumps. Would have been a world record. Official was like ok we're going to do a jump off, I guess move the bar up like...inch by inch until someone messes up. One guy was like well can we just share the gold, half joking. Official goes yeah. So they did!

Unmute!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
2 dudes that have known each other since 2010 competing for gold. They train together, rehabbed ankle injuries together, and one guy went to the other's wedding. Italian and Qatari. Neck and neck until both went 0/3 on their last jumps. Would have been a world record. Official was like ok we're going to do a jump off, I guess move the bar up like...inch by inch until someone messes up. One guy was like well can we just share the gold, half joking. Official goes yeah. So they did!

Unmute!

Yeah this was my favorite

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Unmute!

Not getting enough attention as the best moment in the Olympics so far.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Yeah this was my favorite
"...can we have 2 golds?"
"It's possible...but on if-"
"History my friend?!"

I mean come on. And the Italian shouldn't even be jumping anymore, he destroyed his ankle. Brought the cast and everything. f*** me that's pure

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Stayed up to watch this Canada/USA semi final. A very even first half with no threats either way, followed by complete domination for half an hour by the US in the second half... when Canada gets a completely fluky penalty and Christine Sinclair defers the penalty. But Fleming converts and Canada leads.

Squeaky bum time for Canada now.

Reactions: djw99

djw99

Feb 18, 2006
Stayed up to watch this Canada/USA semi final. A very even first half with no threats either way, followed by complete domination for half an hour by the US in the second half... when Canada gets a completely fluky penalty and Christine Sinclair defers the penalty. But Fleming converts and Canada leads.

Yeah, I'm no soccer expert but that how can they call that a penalty?

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
It was certainly harsh, but I can see why it was called. The defender kicked Rose's leg; it honestly was entirely due to Rose's hustle. It was a nothing play.

Canada holds on in which is certainly revenge for, what in their eyes, was a harsh and controversial exit to the Americans in the 2012 semi final.

Only the 4th time Canada has ever beaten the USA in 60+ matches and the first time since 2001.

Pretty exciting for Canada.

Reactions: Tripod

RebusFlyer

May 21, 2017
I've been unspoiled on the men's 100m.and I'm hopping in to say my pick of Bromell for gold is now obsolete. His 10 second semi time is downright bad and the way he died off after 60m looks like something is quite wrong. He won't medal from the looks of that.

The "DQ for reacting to the gun too fast" is the worst and most detestable rule in all sports.
As a former track guy (but not a sprinter) I agree totally. It's like "You bunch are all cheating (read "anticipating") but that one guy is just too damn good at it." Either you started before the gun or you didn't.

Another Olympic rule I really detest is the one that got two women banned from their best event (the 400m) because their natural level of testosterone (not a doping charge) exceeded a pre-determined maximum level. Pure idiocy -- nearly every world class athlete is extraordinary on some physiological metric. Ban 'em all and let's have the Mediocracy Olympics!

Reactions: orangey

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
This has been the Olympics of the underdog, and I love it. Media darlings crashing and burning at every turn.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
US Men's soccer team has had a better 60 days than the women's team. Beat Mexico in the CONCACAF Nation's League championship in early June then last night beat Mexico again for the CONCACAF Gold Cup where the USA had a depleted roster missing pretty much every starter and Mexico had many of their regulars and were the clear favorites.

Seems like this always happen to the women's team where they come to a point where they have quite a few 'old guard' and need to transition to a new guard and sometimes the new guard underperforms so they put a lot on the old guard.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

Unmute!

At first I thought it was weird that they decided to share the gold, but then after hearing about their background and how close they are, I understood their decision

Reactions: Flybynite

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

That's karma for the American women's team IMO

Reactions: Devonator

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Team pursuit is such a cool sport to watch. Must be pretty cool to ride it too.

team_usa_monday-940x940.jpg

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
At first I thought it was weird that they decided to share the gold, but then after hearing about their background and how close they are, I understood their decision
Actually, friends or not, all that could happen in a jump off would be to lose a gold medal. All risk, no reward except ego. Their friendship does explain the reaction.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Actually, friends or not, all that could happen in a jump off would be to lose a gold medal. All risk, no reward except ego. Their friendship does explain the reaction.
I'm not sure how it was listed, but if say two athletes are tied for a medal and the sport requires a way to break the tie if one athlete is injured/withdraws then the other gets the medal. So if both decline then it would be a tie and both get the medal?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That penalty on US in the womens soccer game was a complete joke.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

through and through...it is a penalty..sadly it was ultimately just an unlucky break as she was trying to clear it and got so much of the girl that ran up to her...my guess is if there wasn't VAR it wouldn't have been a penalty..

seems like something that would occur to Liverpool

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I need to find full long and triple jump footage. It's a shame Maryna Bekh-Romanchuk didn't medal. I started followed her years ago based on her build and excellent form; it was clear if she could build power she would be a winner, and she did that. She's gotten silver at the world championship, but these jumps have just been out of her reach.

I've been waiting to see when the next Jonathan Edwards would emerge, and Rojas on the women's side would be it. Dumping on the WR by six inches is silly.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This 400m hurdles could be lit. Let's see if the record is broken again. I'd bet on Warholm unfortunately, assuming he's still in a good place on his training cycle

Reactions: Embiid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad