The Offseason Thread (Previously Retool vs Rebuild)

Rebuild or Retool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I like this pickup. Assuming it gets done. He seems like a good PP player, able to play with a lot of speed. Worst case scenario is he leaves after a year, and best case scenario is he makes it as a top 6 guy. We gave up almost nothing for him so almost no risk.

Wonder what number he'll pick as 15 is currently occupied by MDZ (if he stays).

Heres more confirmation

Yeah. Pretty low risk for the Bluejackets.
Wonder why Hofmann and the Canes never managed to agree on a deal. He probably wanted a one way deal and with no transfer agreement prior to last year it was obviously a bit more complicated but I'm not sure if those were really the only reasons.

1stohiobattery got his name wrong though. Also, the Swiss source they mentioned is citing watson as the original source. I don't often agree with him but when it comes to Swiss hockey news, Zaugg of watson is a pretty good source. So I'm sure the contract will get done. Not much to negociate about anyway since it's gonna be an ELC. You could talk about a few dollars more or less or one or two way but since the Bluejackets traded for him I think they're prepared to give him a one way deal. Hofmann is leaving money on the table anyway next year if he wants to pursue his nhl dream but has good money over the last years so I don't think he'd care much about a few dollars more or less. The one way could be important to get a fair chance...other than that he just needs to perform to stick and get a better contract.

It's true that him and Merzlikins were teammates in Lugano though. He also played with Kukan quite a bit over the years when they were with Swiss National teams.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Yeah. Pretty low risk for the Bluejackets.
Wonder why Hofmann and the Canes never managed to agree on a deal. He probably wanted a one way deal and with no transfer agreement prior to last year it was obviously a bit more complicated but I'm not sure if those were really the only reasons.

1stohiobattery got his name wrong though. Also, the Swiss source they mentioned is citing watson as the original source. I don't often agree with him but when it comes to Swiss hockey news, Zaugg of watson is a pretty good source. So I'm sure the contract will get done. Not much to negociate about anyway since it's gonna be an ELC. You could talk about a few dollars more or less or one or two way but since the Bluejackets traded for him I think they're prepared to give him a one way deal. Hofmann is leaving money on the table anyway next year if he wants to pursue his nhl dream but has good money over the last years so I don't think he'd care much about a few dollars more or less. The one way could be important to get a fair chance...other than that he just needs to perform to stick and get a better contract.

It's true that him and Merzlikins were teammates in Lugano though. He also played with Kukan quite a bit over the years when they were with Swiss National teams.
I don’t believe it is a standard ELC because of his age but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Hinterland

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Hofmann has problems with forchecking. I really don`t know where he would play, in which line. Plus he`s 29.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How do they take two? One would have to go in a trade. Johnson has a modified NTC but why would he be willing to be traded to an expansion team? Why would Seattle take McDonagh? He has a complete NTC for next 4 seasons and a 6.75 cap hit. To me this scenario of both (or either for that matter) winding up in Seattle seems a real long shot.

Johnson only has a partial list so he will 100% be traded somewhere. Going to Seattle seems relatively good. It's his home State.

McDonagh's 4 years will be costly for Tampa to move, but given where they're at it's also a necessity. Seattle will want him because he's still good and a great leader, and of course because Tampa will pay them 1sts to take the term.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
I Think it is funny to read about the tank treats.
When I think about two teams that has heavily been tanking, then it is Oliers and Toronto and well. It at first seams to work very well.
However then again not so well, because those star players would be asking so big contracts, without having proved themselves in play off.

That there not enough cap for them to make a good team, except for an excellent fist line and a descent second line.
When reaching anything line a playoff game, they always loose in the first round. Not good for a cap heavy team. Not at all.

If you then look at Vegas, then they was clearly best the first season.
When they was a team of left over.
The key word here was that they was a "team"

The more star power they had brought in, the less the team, and that defiantly has not improved the team part of that frenzies.

CBJ has tried to build on their first rounders and stars, like PLD and others. That did work some.
But last year was in many ways a team without a real star. It was however the year, where Bjorkstrand showed he was better than PLD, like he this year showed he is better than Laine.

So how to build a Cup winner?
Skills is good, but not at the expense of the team.
In many ways it is more important that everybody goes the extra mile for each other.

What this team is having that make them fails.
1) Is too many players, that can not pass to each other
and a few players that make far to many give a ways.
2) That leads to loose of puck position, which make scoring very difficult.
and make the need of ekstrem good goaltending and the needs of crazy amount of blocked shots.

I am not sure I want to be in either EDM of Torontos situation, or not...:huh:
It would be nice with a few better center and a few better defense, than what Jones, Savard etc delivered this season.:naughty:
From my point of view, if what they gave this season, is what they are willing to give.
Then I am happy they are either gone, or on the way out.

I would however like the Jones and even the Savard for the previously season....:help:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Turcotte + 8th + ? for Jones

Patrick + 2nd/3rd for 1st

Laine - Domi - Bjorkstrand
Texier - Patrick - Atkinson
Nyquist - Turcotte - Roslovic
Foudy - Foligno - Chinakhov

Hughes, Eklund + one more 1st rounder in the prospect pool. Wright/Lambert next year.

Easy rebuild tbh, hit me up Jarmo

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Just recently, Carey Price became the first player with a cap hit of over 10 millions to win a playoff round. And he had to stand on his head like crazy to do it. They had a bit of luck to win another round quite easily thanks to the Scheifele suspension and key Jets injuries but I think you see where I'm coming from. Overpaying players isn't a receipe for success. If they don't buy into what you're trying to achieve, say goodbye. Might hurt at times and that's what the Bluejackets are experiencing now but overpaying just doesn't work. I think Kekalainen is well aware of it. Cap is flat and once you overpay for one guy, nobody is gonna be prepared to accept a discount. Gotta do it like the Bolts and have players buy into what you're trying to achieve. So no to Marner. Besides that, he's soft as f*** and the eye test says he's not at all good defensively. Anyway, the Leafs already said he's not gonna go anywhere so it's not worth talking about.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Just recently, Carey Price became the first player with a cap hit of over 10 millions to win a playoff round. And he had to stand on his head like crazy to do it. They had a bit of luck to win another round quite easily thanks to the Scheifele suspension and key Jets injuries but I think you see where I'm coming from. Overpaying players isn't a receipe for success. If they don't buy into what you're trying to achieve, say goodbye. Might hurt at times and that's what the Bluejackets are experiencing now but overpaying just doesn't work. I think Kekalainen is well aware of it. Cap is flat and once you overpay for one guy, nobody is gonna be prepared to accept a discount. Gotta do it like the Bolts and have players buy into what you're trying to achieve. So no to Marner. Besides that, he's soft as f*** and the eye test says he's not at all good defensively. Anyway, the Leafs already said he's not gonna go anywhere so it's not worth talking about.

Not everyone has enough LITR to do so...:sarcasm:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

So all the stats are wrong and what you see is right?

Reactions: Sabo0290 and EspenK

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Interesting. Maybe Jarmo should try something like this with Seth. I'm sure that Jarmo will be in touch with JP Barry. Will likely be a feudal attempt, but he's got to try.

Jarmo may not be able to. The rules may be different with a player who has 1 year remaining vs a player who is enter UFA

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
My guess is can't do same with Seth as he has 1 more year vs being a FA....but I'm sure that sort of thing is happening behind the scenes already

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Have to wonder if Hoffman plays in our top 6.... Holy crap on that last goal ...

Laine-Roslovic-Bjorkstrand
Hofmann-Tex?-Nyquist
or
Laine-Roslovic-Bjorstrand
Nyquist-Tex?-Atkinson

When Domi comes back where does he go?

Chinakov? Bemstrom? 3rd liners? My guess is one becomes a 4th.

Lots of moving pieces. Laine to the third line? better trade him if that is the case.

Hopefully Larsen is fully versed in line-o-matic strategies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad