The Offseason Thread (Previously Retool vs Rebuild)

Rebuild or Retool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
True. And after Joonas played 60 games, his stats fell from a save % of .910 to .901 the last 3 years.

Why keep playing the guy that is clearly regressing?

Thats “ALL STAR” Joonas Korpisalo to you!!

FACTS!!

He didn’t get the nomination because of his name or hype or “in spite” of the CBJ.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
As a guy who played the position twitchy is a good thing, I also think Elvis is a better goalie, Korpi can be way too cautious and predictable.

Think you’d be surprised what shooters think about a “twitchy” goalie then.

Sure, a hockey goalie is gonna have to be quick thinking and good “fast twitch muscles”, but that’s not what’s being described when ACCURATELY calling Elvis “twitchy”.

There’s a difference in playing the same “style” as Dominik Hasek and playing LIKE Hasek, and that seems missed by many.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Thats “ALL STAR” Joonas Korpisalo to you!!

FACTS!!

He didn’t get the nomination because of his name or hype or “in spite” of the CBJ.
Bro.. Here's the thing. You point out Elvis has played 68 games, and try to use that against his success. He's started 54 games and has 7 shutouts. In the 2 periods of times that he has been given consistent starts, hes been dominant. At the same time, we've seen 5 yrs of Joonas now. The one thing Joonas has been consistent on, is being good for a month or 2 period, and then his play dramatically falls off. Its happened nearly every season hes played. Even the yr he played well in the AHL, he was yanked in the playoffs in favor of Forsberg. The all-star nomination means very little.. after all, he played well for a short period of time , earned the nomination, got hurt, and then Elvis stepped in and played much better in front of that same team, than Korpi did. We arent sniffing the playoffs last yr, without Elvis being dominant, and Korpi isnt seeing action in the playoffs last yr, had Elvis not got hurt.

In 2 straight yrs, Elvis has massively outplayed Korpi. Them are the FACTS.. Korpi has a save % below 90% 3 out of his 5 yrs.. them are the FACTS.. Korpi has a career GAA of 2.90.. FACTS..

No GM in this league would take Korpi over Elvis. The reason there are trade rumors regarding Elvis is because Columbus is going to trade a goalie, and Elvis is the goalie other teams would want. Wonder Why ?

To pretend that the gap between these 2 goalies isnt huge, is a flat out Joke. Korpi is a middle of the road back up.. and his stats reflect that.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Think you’d be surprised what shooters think about a “twitchy” goalie then.

Sure, a hockey goalie is gonna have to be quick thinking and good “fast twitch muscles”, but that’s not what’s being described when ACCURATELY calling Elvis “twitchy”.

There’s a difference in playing the same “style” as Dominik Hasek and playing LIKE Hasek, and that seems missed by many.

Hasek is the epitome of twitchy. I was twitchy but no where as talented or even close to that. Shooters hate twitchy netminders because they act out of instinct instead of being in the right position.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Fro

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
My point is there are plenty of variables in the equation that are being either purposely ignored or not able to be quantified.

It’s clear to me that Joonas has gotten the bulk of tougher matchups (when healthy) and that the team has a huge impact on Elvis’ shutouts, that are not sustainable either way and will have an effect on what his “career numbers” look like in a very short time.

But you’re saying this with nothing to back it up except your word/opinion. How can anyone take it seriously with nothing to go on?

I do think people underrate Korpi around here but it’s hard to agree with your hard line korpi opinions when you say this stuff with nothing but your opinion to back it up.

Reactions: CBJx614

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm beginning to think this love of Korpi/dislike of Elvis thing is a lot like how I really liked Howson and at first couldn't stand Kekalainen. Howson's moves always made immediate, intuitive sense to me. I knew where he was going, I could understand what he was thinking, and I could reliably track the sorts of things he would deem prudent. I had the exact opposite experience with Kekalainen - hell, he still catches me off guard sometimes after all these years - and it eventually got to the point where I wanted him fired because I was convinced all he was capable of was chasing after headlines rather than teambuilding. I ended up eating a lot of crow on that assessment.

Or, IOW, I think there's some confusion going on here between "I can reliably see him doing what the right thing should be" versus "He's reliably getting the necessary results even if it sometimes doesn't seem like it should work."

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
To me, you have to answer the question that if one of the goalies go, which one will hurt the least. I'll admit with my untrained eye, Elvis seems to have more star potential and if you trade Korpi or he's picked by the Kraken, I don't think it truly hurts as bad. Kivlenieks or Tarasov (when ready) could be a back up or they could sign a veteran to start 15-20 games. I guess if the team is in rebuilding mode, which goaltender do you want to see them build around? This will be like when Jarmo and JD had to build the last time from the goal out with Bobrovsky.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Hasek is the epitome of twitchy. I was twitchy but no where as talented or even close to that. Shooters hate twitchy netminders because they act out of instinct instead of being in the right position.

Along with being “twitchy”, Hasek was also simply an overall great goalie that also played very calm and “controlled” positionally the vast majority of time. He only did the “acrobatics” when absolutely necessary.

The same cannot be said for Elvis. He’s all over the place at nearly all times, making easier saves seem harder than they should be due to rebounds or simply being out of position.

We’re going pretty far down the semantics rabbit hole, but, I’m curious where you got the idea that shooters hate “twitchy” goalies??

I’m gonna guess, other goalies….

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Along with being “twitchy”, Hasek was also simply an overall great goalie that also played very calm and “controlled” positionally the vast majority of time. He only did the “acrobatics” when absolutely necessary.

The same cannot be said for Elvis. He’s all over the place at nearly all times, making easier saves seem harder than they should be due to rebounds or simply being out of position.

We’re going pretty far down the semantics rabbit hole, but, I’m curious where you got the idea that shooters hate “twitchy” goalies??

I’m gonna guess, other goalies….

Honestly shooters. When the shooters deke they know a classic keeper will do either A or B where a twitchy minder relies heavily on what he expects knowing or hoping his reaction is quicker than the shooter.

Reactions: CBJx614

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Honestly shooters. When the shooters deke they know a classic keeper will do either A or B where a twitchy minder relies heavily on what he expects knowing or hoping his reaction is quicker than the shooter.

I’d like to know all the different things that categorizes a goalie as either “twitchy” or “classic” and if there isn’t s any more “styles” out there??

Also, what exactly is “A” and/or “B”??

No “C”?? Or that’s only “twitchy” goalies”??

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I’d like to know all the different things that categorizes a goalie as either “twitchy” or “classic” and if there isn’t s any more “styles” out there??

Also, what exactly is “A” and/or “B”??

No “C”?? Or that’s only “twitchy” goalies”??

"A or B" is a figure of speech...you are just trolling at this point

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad