The Offseason Thread (Previously Retool vs Rebuild)

Rebuild or Retool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Tampa and St. Louis have serious problems with draft expansion because they can lose Cernak (Ryan Mac Donagh has NTC) and Dunn. We can use it.

Jones - Byfield, 1th round pick

Nichushkin - picks or one of our d-man/Marchenko

plus don`t forget Nyquist is de facto as a new player

so new players - Cernak, Dunn, Nichushkin, Byfield + return Nyquist

IMHO it would be enough now. And the season would show what we have to improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: cslebn and Fro

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Tampa and St. Louis have serious problems with draft expansion because they can lose Cernak (Ryan Mac Donagh has NTC) and Dunn. We can use it.

I just can never take your posts seriously when you constantly name drop Nichushkin and Grigorenko

Getting Byfield from LA is a pipe dream. They’re not moving him. Turcotte + Roy/Walker + 8th OA + 22 1st is more realistic

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I just can never take your posts seriously when you constantly name drop Nichushkin and Grigorenko

Getting Byfield from LA is a pipe dream. They’re not moving him. Turcotte + Roy/Walker + 8th OA + 22 1st is more realistic
Nichushkin is a very good player for us. Strong, speed, good nothing, protect the puck well, defense, around the boards, take aways. Ideal for the 3th line. Look how Domi and Bjork played with Robinson. And Valeri is better.

Byfield - you are right but never say never. :)

First I wrote the line Nyquist -- Turcotte -- Bjorkstrand btw. Only then I have changed Byfield for Turcotte.

Roy/Walker - Roy would be good IMHO.

I like your trade but I doubt LAK would agree with this. 8th OA is very good pick plus still Turcotte and Roy/Walker and 22 1st. Jones is overrated by us probably. Simply said maybe not only me but you have a pipe dreams too although I hope you not. :)

Btw why I often said about Grigo... I follow some Russian players in NHL and he's among them. That's all.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I like Nuke but don't see him as any different then Robinson
He is skilled, strenght, better around the boards, stronger in the puck and has better hockey IQ. And one's enough speed.
I'm not trading Marchenko for Nichushkin and LA ain't giving us Byfield for Jones.
Nobody knows how Marchenko would play in NHL. He isn't Voronkov. Byfield is a dream but maybe... .

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Agreed. Inquire about players you didn’t think would be interested in playing for you or who might not normally be on your ‘reach out’ list.

Inquire, courteously and professionally, on players you would like to trade for but that you don’t think are even on the market.

View attachment 446313

Some years ago I made my hopes for that particular off-season ‘kick every tire.’ I’m bringing it back for this one. No reason not to do all the work, since JD and JK are both in the case. Rick Nash should be making some calls, too.
I thought the image was going to be because we're a tire fire. ;)

Reactions: CPTN71

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
For what it's worth, both Doug McLean and Dennis Bernstein think LA is a strong bidder for Seth. Both also expect a high price. Assumed 3 good pieces. Doug also thought Colorado would be a high bidder due to Jones playoff ability with big minutes, tough assignments. Thought Avs were skilled but soft and they would be ok with 1 year.

Bernstein suggested CBJ target Hamilton in UFA. Move Jones for 3 good pieces, move a goalie for future pick or something and a late first for help up front and they are back to a competitive team quickly with assets and youth. Certainly an interesting thought.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Enough with the win now attempt trades, you dont trade Marchenko or Chinakhov and you hope like hell they pan out. This team isn't winning anything anytime soon especially with trades like Nichuskin for Marchenko

Reactions: KJ Dangler

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
There are lots of good ideas. Now we wait to see what actually happens.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Ignoring goalie situation for now.

- Keep draft picks
- Trade Jones for 2 really good prospects
- Trade Jenner at deadline or now (whatever gets better return) for first or good prospect
- Sign a good free agent center (Denault?) but do not go crazy with both salary and term (can go high with salary for shorter term)
- Sign a vet right D for about 4 years (solid but not stud)
- Extend Werenski if at possible (even if we overpay)
- Extend MDZ or Lehtonen (or MDZ 2 years and maybe Lehtonen longer)
- Seattle takes Kukan or Nyquist or Stenlund

After 2 years, our 11 new young guys (some still not in NHL) are:

2021 high draft pick
2022 high draft pick
Jones trade
Jones trade
2021 Toronto pick
2022 Tampa pick
Jenner trade
Russian
Russian
Russian
2022 2nd

Russians are forwards. Of the 8 picks and prospects, need two centers (one top end prospect), three D (one top end), and a big wing.

Plus maybe Angle or Knazko is a contributor. And maybe we hit on a late pick or 2.

Plus
vet center signed this summer
Bjork
Laine
Tex
Cam
Roslovic
Domi
Foudy
Bemstrom
Robinson/Stenlund
Werenski
Gav
vet right D signed this summer
MDZ or Lehtonen
Kukan?
Peeke
Carlsson or Harrington
Every time you mentioning Bjork I'm thinking about Anders.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed. Inquire about players you didn’t think would be interested in playing for you or who might not normally be on your ‘reach out’ list.

Inquire, courteously and professionally, on players you would like to trade for but that you don’t think are even on the market.

View attachment 446313

Some years ago I made my hopes for that particular off-season ‘kick every tire.’ I’m bringing it back for this one. No reason not to do all the work, since JD and JK are both in the case. Rick Nash should be making some calls, too.

"Tire by tire" - John Davidson

earthship-2-20200925.jpg

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

- NTC has no relevance for expansion. Only NMC protects against expansion. Tampa will likely be paying Seattle a lot and they will take McDonagh, and possibly Johnson too. Cernak is Tampa's only good RD, he isn't going anywhere.

- Nichushkin is UFA in a year. We're not at a place to trade futures (or anything) for a player in that position. I think we need more players like him, but we'll have to find a better way.

- Dunn is a bit of a project. If you're trading for him it's because you want to make a long term bet on him. He hasn't been good.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
- NTC has no relevance for expansion. Only NMC protects against expansion. Tampa will likely be paying Seattle a lot and they will take McDonagh, and possibly Johnson too. Cernak is Tampa's only good RD, he isn't going anywhere.

- Nichushkin is UFA in a year. We're not at a place to trade futures (or anything) for a player in that position. I think we need more players like him, but we'll have to find a better way.

- Dunn is a bit of a project. If you're trading for him it's because you want to make a long term bet on him. He hasn't been good.
- I didn`t know that NTC don`t protect. Thank you.

- Yes, Nichushkin - you`re right. I saw it but I mistake him for J.T. Compher.

- Dunn - of course not the 1th round pick. And we could trade him in the future but first make his price higher. :nod: That's the only reason why I wrote him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

How do they take two? One would have to go in a trade. Johnson has a modified NTC but why would he be willing to be traded to an expansion team? Why would Seattle take McDonagh? He has a complete NTC for next 4 seasons and a 6.75 cap hit. To me this scenario of both (or either for that matter) winding up in Seattle seems a real long shot.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think he’s going to be a steal for what we gave up for him . Team should be much faster next year with him, Foudy being a regular , Danforth is fast .
The question if they will be able to play when an oponent use forcheking. Because they have problems with it in WC. Besides speed isn't all. And prefer 29/28 players before young boys... they aren't Radulov.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Grégory Hofmann verzichtet für das grosse Abenteuer NHL auf viel Geld

Hofmann apparently prepared to leave money on the table to pursue his NHL dream. The two sides are working on the last details of what's believed to be a one way contract.

I like this pickup. Assuming it gets done. He seems like a good PP player, able to play with a lot of speed. Worst case scenario is he leaves after a year, and best case scenario is he makes it as a top 6 guy. We gave up almost nothing for him so almost no risk.

Wonder what number he'll pick as 15 is currently occupied by MDZ (if he stays).

Heres more confirmation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad