The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It's not just the Duchene trade.

Dorion also traded three high-end pieces in Karlsson, Zibanejad and Hoffman for secondary pieces in Tierney, Boedker, DeMelo, Norris, JBD, Tychonick, 1st

He's actively made this team worse. Easily one of the worst GMs in the league.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
could the hoffman trade actually be worse than the karlsson one?

I'd say EK's trade is worse based on him being a (still)young generational player, and losing someone like that for anything short of another player of his level is bound to be incredibly detrimental.

As for Hoffman, I know he came with some "baggage", but trading a 30 goal scorer for a third liner who can barely score 15 on a good team is impressively bad, just not quite on par with the Karlsson trade.

The drama between both players should never have led to losing both. Dorion just traded both guys for scraps and washed his hands of the whole deal, with Melnyk's approval considering the money saved. They'll never live this down, especially if you include losing Alfie.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
could the hoffman trade actually be worse than the karlsson one?

I'd argue it is.

At least with the Karlsson trade we got some pieces of value (Tierney, Norris, Balcers, 1st), even if none of those pieces currently project as high-end players.

Hoffman was traded for Boedker, a cap dump with little to no value, and Bergman, a bust with zero value. Oh and we somehow included a 5th round pick and got back a 6th, as if the trade wasn't bad enough already.

Dorion gave away a guy sitting at a PPG halfway through the season for nothing.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Dorion also traded three high-end pieces in Karlsson, Zibanejad and Hoffman for secondary pieces in Tierney, Boedker, DeMelo, Norris, JBD, Tychonick, 1st

You forgot Gustavsson but yeah point taken

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'd argue it is.

At least with the Karlsson trade we got some pieces of value (Tierney, Norris, Balcers, 1st), even if none of those pieces currently project as high-end players.

Hoffman was traded for Boedker, a cap dump with little to no value, and Bergman, a bust with zero value. Oh and we somehow included a 5th round pick and got back a 6th, as if the trade wasn't bad enough already.

I like the part of the zibanejad for brassard deal where we added a 2nd

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

We took no money or very minimal in return ,this was the owners biggest concern ..Hense the garbage

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I forget which poster said it, but following this team is like getting kicked in the nuts every time you look at it. After a while, you stopped looking.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd argue it is.

Dorion is trending in the same direction as Paul Maclean! Right out of the league! Where he belongs!

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Dorion is trending in the same direction as Paul Maclean! Right out of the league! Where he belongs!

Pretty sure Paulrus is at least an A-Coach somewhere (Anaheim, I think?) wherease Dorion would be lucky to get an AGM job anywhere but here.

He'll be on the phone threatening to withhold interviews from TSN1200 if they don't paint the bottom 3 finish as a glorious adventure in team building and brinkmanship, however. But this team cannot ford a management team, so let's home he gets some good future assets for Duchene, at least.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
its weird how similar (template wise) all of Norris, Lazar, White, Bowers are. whats with our obsession with these type of players?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Pretty sure Paulrus is at least an A-Coach somewhere (Anaheim, I think?) wherease Dorion would be lucky to get an AGM job anywhere but here.

He'll be on the phone threatening to withhold interviews from TSN1200 if they don't paint the bottom 3 finish as a glorious adventure in team building and brinkmanship, however. But this team cannot ford a management team, so let's home he gets some good future assets for Duchene, at least.

He left Anaheim in a June 2017 and was reportedly not hired anywhere.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Hoffman trades looks like garbage, sure, but keep in mind that Hoffman is on an expiring deal, and even without the scandal came with the baggage of being a guy who is a one dimensional defensive nightmare. He was also not cheap either at over $5 mil for the year. SJ simply turned around and dumped him for a second and some magic beans, so they didn't value him any more than we did.

You could argue that Dorion could have held out for the same deal that SJ got from Florida, but this team would be even worse right now, believe it or not. We have lots of picks coming up - what we needed was an NHL caliber veteran who could take a regular shift. (For instance, look at what happened to our depth when we shipped out Brassard for picks and prospects. That hurt much worse than we thought it would.)

Yeah, Boedker sucks, but at least he is an NHL caliber player who can skate and take a regular shift. Playing in his place if he wasn't here would be some AHL scrub like Tambellini or Rodewald. And yes, gang, Rodewald is way worse than Boedker. To me, Boedker is just a placeholder until our prospects are fully ready to play. All part of the excruciating pain of the rebuild...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The Hoffman trades looks like garbage, sure, but keep in mind that Hoffman is on an expiring deal, and even without the scandal came with the baggage of being a guy who is a one dimensional defensive nightmare. He was also not cheap either at over $5 mil for the year. SJ simply turned around and dumped him for a second and some magic beans, so they didn't value him any more than we did.

You could argue that Dorion could have held out for the same deal that SJ got from Florida, but this team would be even worse right now, believe it or not. We have lots of picks coming up - what we needed was an NHL caliber veteran who could take a regular shift. (For instance, look at what happened to our depth when we shipped out Brassard for picks and prospects. That hurt much worse than we thought it would.)

Yeah, Boedker sucks, but at least he is an NHL caliber player who can skate and take a regular shift. Playing in his place if he wasn't here would be some AHL scrub like Tambellini or Rodewald. And yes, gang, Rodewald is way worse than Boedker. To me, Boedker is just a placeholder until our prospects are fully ready to play. All part of the excruciating pain of the rebuild...
Not sure where this myth is coming from.

We have a total of 3 extra picks over the next 3 drafts, and that includes us not having the most important one. We actually downgraded our draft picks with the Boedker deal.

Talon saying Dorion wanted players instead of picks tells us he offered them the same type of deal. Taking the draft picks knowing we are tearing it down was a given.

Hoffman is signed through 2020, and is getting paid more real money than his caphit.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad