TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I meant to post this earlier but those who complain about TSN1200 should listen to Lansberg and Carlo in the mornings. They also played Dan Patrick after the morning show the day after the Leafs season ended. Andi Petrillo and Leafs lunch is a train wreck. The only good thing is Overdrive because Hayes is a true pro. On top of everything their post game show after game 5 was about 45 minutes. Just brutal programming other than 1 show. We are spoiled.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
So a new Sens charity initiative it seems, hard to be excited about anything charity related with the current owner involved, all things considered.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
I meant to post this earlier but those who complain about TSN1200 should listen to Lansberg and Carlo in the mornings. They also played Dan Patrick after the morning show the day after the Leafs season ended. Andi Petrillo and Leafs lunch is a train wreck. The only good thing is Overdrive because Hayes is a true pro. On top of everything their post game show after game 5 was about 45 minutes. Just brutal programming other than 1 show. We are spoiled.

Leafs lunch is a disaster for obvious reasons but I find myself listening to Overdrive more than 1200. Highly entertaining and not as Leaf Centric as you would expect. Odog and Noodles provide a heck of a lot more insight into all aspects of the game than anyone at 1200. A viable alternative if you need a break from ho hum 1200. I'll tune again at draft time.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Leafs lunch is a disaster for obvious reasons but I find myself listening to Overdrive more than 1200. Highly entertaining and not as Leaf Centric as you would expect. Odog and Noodles provide a heck of a lot more insight into all aspects of the game than anyone at 1200. A viable alternative if you need a break from ho hum 1200. I'll tune again at draft time.
I wish Mendes and Overdrive didn’t overlap.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Overdrive has been my go show for the last 5 years. If only they had something like this in TSN1200.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Wtf is going on at 1200? Why am I hearing about a basketball net in orleans and their bylaws?

No clue what listeners are interested in?

Hint: it’s not this. Stanley cup playoffs are going on today!

Sorry but Ian and Lee makes for terrible radio. Now you combine a bad hosting duo with uninteresting annoying stories.

Really bad stuff. Please fix

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Wtf is going on at 1200? Why am I hearing about a basketball net in orleans and their bylaws?

Sorry but Ian and Lee makes for terrible radio. Now you combine a bad hosting duo with uninteresting annoying stories.

I'd rather listen to that than what was the best slow motion replay.

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016

In a four-hour show today, we spent approximately 8-9 mins talking about a local basketball related story that received great feedback from our listeners.

That’s it.

UNDER TEN MINUTES in a four-hour show. But that’s what you want to focus on and act like we didn’t go pretty much wall-to-wall with hockey today. We talked Brind’Amour meltdown. Hart vs Price. Lightning and Jackets. Bruins and Hurricanes. And a lot more. Honestly, this was as hockey-centric of a show as we’ve done in months.

As I always say, we make radio that caters to a wide range of people. Not every single minute of a four-hour show is going to be exactly tailored to you and your own specific wants and needs. For the most part, I think I do a pretty good job in keeping people updated with unique, timely and interesting stories in the sports world. And it mostly centres on hockey.

As always, you guys know exactly where to find me for answers:

[email protected]

Thanks for listening.
Ian

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
In a four-hour show today, we spent approximately 8-9 mins talking about a local basketball related story that received great feedback from our listeners.

That’s it.

UNDER TEN MINUTES in a four-hour show. But that’s what you want to focus on and act like we didn’t go pretty much wall-to-wall with hockey today. We talked Brind’Amour meltdown. Hart vs Price. Lightning and Jackets. Bruins and Hurricanes. And a lot more. Honestly, this was as hockey-centric of a show as we’ve done in months.

As I always say, we make radio that caters to a wide range of people. Not every single minute of a four-hour show is going to be exactly tailored to you and your own specific wants and needs. For the most part, I think I do a pretty good job in keeping people updated with unique, timely and interesting stories in the sports world. And it mostly centres on hockey.

[email protected]

Thanks for listening.
Ian

Appreciate the reply Ian.
When I tuned in at around 4 that’s what I heard. Seemed like longer than 10 minutes. I waited, turning the radio off and on then off finally. If that was surrounded by hockey talk then apologies.

The problem is that this is not a one time thing. I wouldn’t post this kind of thing if it was infrequent.
Far too often now when I tune in it is hard to listen to and frequently not related to nhl playoffs. Way too much rambling and personal discussion imo. (Not singling out The Drive here). Under the circumstances, some slack sure. I appreciate what you guys are doing. Not an easy job to keep it fresh and interesting all day especially with what is going on right now.

What I’m saying is that in comparison to other shows including the morning show on 1200 the daytime shows are hard to listen to. Wasn’t always like that. It often feels like an assault on the ears so I can’t just leave it on as background when the personal interest dips but have to turn it off so I can maintain my sanity :)

Ian, I don’t expect you to continue this conversation. I have to give my feedback at this time though because as a long time listener I’m unable to now. For what it’s worth I find you to be very capable and adaptive as a host and I respect what you do.

Last edited:

R2010

May 23, 2011

That’s it.

[email protected]

Thanks for listening.
Ian

Always appreciate your work, Ian.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I listened for about 5 minutes. They were interviewing Gord Miller, who IMO is an interesting guy that I enjoy. Brown completely ruined it for me.

Brown is so hard to listen to. I don't know the guy, but he just seems so damned arrogant. He will talk for stretches of minutes, seemingly enlightening us all with his informed opinions. The cover it up with a false shroud of self depreciating humour.

He is the definition of a pompous blow hard. I was so glad when tsn chose not to bring him on for television broadcasts.

It's a shame because in the 90s he was a fantastic play by play guy. I dunno what happened to him

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Appreciate the reply Ian.
When I tuned in at around 4 that’s what I heard. Seemed like longer than 10 minutes. I waited, turning the radio off and on then off finally. If that was surrounded by hockey talk then apologies.

The problem is that this is not a one time thing. I wouldn’t post this kind of thing if it was infrequent.
Far too often now when I tune in it is hard to listen to and frequently not related to nhl playoffs. Way too much rambling and personal discussion imo. (Not singling out The Drive here). Under the circumstances, some slack sure. I appreciate what you guys are doing. Not an easy job to keep it fresh and interesting all day especially with what is going on right now.

What I’m saying is that in comparison to other shows including the morning show on 1200 the daytime shows are hard to listen to. Wasn’t always like that. It often feels like an assault on the ears so I can’t just leave it on as background when the personal interest dips but have to turn it off so I can maintain my sanity :)

Ian, I don’t expect you to continue this conversation. I have to give my feedback at this time though because as a long time listener I’m unable to now. For what it’s worth I find you to be very capable and adaptive as a host and I respect what you do.

Wait, so you just "tune in" at random times and expect them to be discussing the very thing you want at that moment?

By 4pm the show has gone on for two hours already, there is no problem with having a segment related to something else. In fact, the Orleans basketball net is actually a local and relevant issue to I assume many listeners (who live around there).

You should take back what you have said, as you have admitted that you mostly "tune in" here and there rather than basing your opinion on having listened to the entire 4 hour show multiple days.

With that said, Ian is probably the city's best sportscaster and sports radio personality, we are so lucky to have him, I cannot imagine what TSN1200 would be like without him. Just the fact that he took his time to read your post and reply is an amazing thing and I would love to see any other member of TSN1200 ever do that?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Why am I hearing about a basketball net in orleans and their bylaws?
Turned on for a minute this morning and heard a discussion about International Left Handed day so, naturally, changed the channel. Im even left handed and have no interest in that discussion.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I struggle to empathise with these strong negative feelings some of you have towards people who talk on the radio.

They are just... talking. You are free to criticize but man, there's no need to be this hostile about sports talk radio.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Wait, so you just "tune in" at random times and expect them to be discussing the very thing you want at that moment?

By 4pm the show has gone on for two hours already, there is no problem with having a segment related to something else. In fact, the Orleans basketball net is actually a local and relevant issue to I assume many listeners (who live around there).

You should take back what you have said, as you have admitted that you mostly "tune in" here and there rather than basing your opinion on having listened to the entire 4 hour show multiple days.

With that said, Ian is probably the city's best sportscaster and sports radio personality, we are so lucky to have him, I cannot imagine what TSN1200 would be like without him. Just the fact that he took his time to read your post and reply is an amazing thing and I would love to see any other member of TSN1200 ever do that?
Either I didn’t express properly or you misunderstood me.
Like I said I wouldn’t have brought it up if it wasn’t happening very often. I tune in almost every day. If the morning show is on I end up listening, if another is on I usually end up turning it off.
As long as the station is aware there is likely a problem there then cool. If not then I’d like to try and help with some constructive criticism.
Also trying not to name any names and throw anyone under. No problem with Ian though.

Last edited:
Reactions: BatherSeason

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Reactions: Icelevel

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Person has an excellent take about Brannstrom and how we should be patient with him and simmer responds with his typical holier than thou attitude (after saying Brannstrom isn’t good). Why do people like this guy?

Reactions: cudi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad