TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
I know nothing about his personal life. Like with all Bell Media employees they get fired for mostly no reason. Because o his tenure there I would think it came down to money. They canned Marcotte, Snow, Harris, Green, White, Sutcliffe, Studley......the list goes on. There was definitely a void after he left. The fact that it was probably JR who had to do it makes it even worse because from what I could gather they were pretty close.

A new purge is around the corner. They are normally 5-7 years apart, and we would not be due for another 3-5 years. But with the loss in business. I see one by year's end or early 2021. One of Creech, Bunda or AJ will be gone. . One of Mindy, Loydie, Versage and Simmer will be gone and one of Hammer or Matty Vowels will be.

I doubt Mendes, he is well connected city wide. Putting Versage, Loydie and Simmer (although Simmer may protected by his hockey rolodex) in the cross hairs...or more probably Versage and Loydie. AJ's rolodex and his play by play for the REDblacks, soccer team, etc. will probably save him. Leaving Bunda and Creech on borrowed time.

What a world. Warren was good. When he took it seriously, I thought he was fantastic. He had some silliness and arrogance in him..but they all do. But he could be sharp when he was focused. He left a chasm, not a hole. I really do not like the group that has stayed. To be perfectly honest, the issues of the last 4 months, has me wanting some fresh blood to come in. Or some old ones, like Warren to come back.

If Warren and JR were close, Warren would have rebounded quickly. JR is well connected in the City's media circles. Warren would have surfaced somewhere real quick. JR hardly mentions him..My personal theory is a complete opposite of yours. Maybe those two were far less friendly...and again..maybe Warren's financial success caused friction..

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
A new purge is around the corner. They are normally 5-7 years apart, and we would not be due for another 3-5 years. But with the loss in business. I see one by year's end or early 2021. One of Creech, Bunda or AJ will be gone. . One of Mindy, Loydie, Versage and Simmer will be gone and one of Hammer or Matty Vowels will be.

I doubt Mendes, he is well connected city wide. Putting Versage, Loydie and Simmer (although Simmer may protected by his hockey rolodex) in the cross hairs...or more probably Versage and Loydie. AJ's rolodex and his play by play for the REDblacks, soccer team, etc. will probably save him. Leaving Bunda and Creech on borrowed time.

What a world. Warren was good. When he took it seriously, I thought he was fantastic. He had some silliness and arrogance in him..but they all do. But he could be sharp when he was focused. He left a chasm, not a hole. I really do not like the group that has stayed. To be perfectly honest, the issues of the last 4 months, has me wanting some fresh blood to come in. Or some old ones, like Warren to come back.

If Warren and JR were close, Warren would have rebounded quickly. JR is well connected in the City's media circles. Warren would have surfaced somewhere real quick. JR hardly mentions him..My personal theory is a complete opposite of yours. Maybe those two were far less friendly...and again..maybe Warren's financial success caused friction..
You are sounding very radiogirlish with your inside knowledge.

Ottawa media is owned primarily by a handful of companies. The fact he didn't catch on somewhere else has more to do with the landscape than a handshake.

The last 4 months has been bad not because of them so they do deserve the benefit of the doubt.

If rolodexes counted Jungle Jim would be Prime Minister.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
You are sounding very radiogirlish with your inside knowledge.

Ottawa media is owned primarily by a handful of companies. The fact he didn't catch on somewhere else has more to do with the landscape than a handshake.

The last 4 months has been bad not because of them so they do deserve the benefit of the doubt.

If rolodexes counted Jungle Jim would be Prime Minister.

Jungle Jim's Rolodex got him far. Way more than his on air talent should have. But it was based on 1980's Oilers. By 2008-2010 most of those guys had been pushed aside and no longer in positions of influence or significance. If you are younger than 50, Gretzky is practically a myth. Messier, Anderson, etc. are all now figures of the past. When I was 30, Gordie Howe was more legend than real, and he played until he was 50 and I got to see him play...Hull, Richard, Belliveau were already supplanted by 2 or 3 generations of players.

In Media, your up to date Rolodex is important. Interviewing Draisaitl or McDavid is more important than Messier or Anderson. Simmer and AJ still have a few years of life in them. Their Rolodex is still up to date.

I know the Radio market, I once lived next to guy who was in the business. Only a small number of owners. But still. I keep waiting to hear someone mention Warren..It is strange. You would think once, you would hear. "I was out playing golf with our old friend Warrensie"..nada..no mention. Others get let go, if popular enough, or if they have enough friends, they resurface!!! Heck my councillor keeps resurfacing in different media posts.

As for the last 4 months, the business is bad...but the on air has been weak...I am guessing, some Bell media consultant is driving the bus. Encouraging a certain approach..It will backfire...We tune in to TSN 1200 to get sports...You go to McDonalds to get a burger and fries..not salads. A new consultant will surface in a few weeks/months and they will try something new. The Merline Denise, Ben Mulroney approach will be short lived. As for cutting them slack.. 1) I don't control the purges and 2) I don't control the purges.

Hockeytalk2424

Jan 2, 2019

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Hey dingle I agree with you but a little advice the names like mindy matty Vowles, Lloydie, nobody calls them that, so please refer to them as there proper names so we can actually understand please.
Don't start with that crap again. You literally understood who he was talking about.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The morning show is good. The rest of the shows are unlistenable for me now. Used to be the opposite.
Don't be so critical during the pandemic and less hockey to discuss right?
Well how come the morning show is good?

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
AJ just spent about 5 minutes talking about his porkchops he had for lunch and discussing his mustard.

They need someone who can keep him on track cuz Creech aint it
I used to get excited for AJ takes. I have to turn the radio off now. Just being honest.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
https://www.stevewproject.com/

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
@ianmendes With arguably the biggest draft in Sens History on the horizon, the level of prospect coverage by our Sports station sucks

There are a number of very good analytic types out there , and I am not talking about the usual gotos , Plus internet based scouting like Larry Fisher at Hockey Writers, Will Scouch, Dobber Prospects, HockeyProspect.com. Elite Prospects... There are a number of these that are credible and looking for exposure as well. It would be a fun to run thru the top 10 picks with these guys to look at strengths , weaknesses, NHL readiness, fit with the Sens... Not something like what would Marco Rossi name his cat as a somewhat humerous but not really hard core sports topic.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
@ianmendes With arguably the biggest draft in Sens History on the horizon, the level of prospect coverage by our Sports station sucks

There are a number of very good analytic types out there , and I am not talking about the usual gotos , Plus internet based scouting like Larry Fisher at Hockey Writers, Will Scouch, Dobber Prospects, HockeyProspect.com. Elite Prospects... There are a number of these that are credible and looking for exposure as well. It would be a fun to run thru the top 10 picks with these guys to look at strengths , weaknesses, NHL readiness, fit with the Sens... Not something like what would Marco Rossi name his cat as a somewhat humerous but not really hard core sports topic.

I'd hard pass on listening to any of them. I would listen to real scouts talk about the prospects though.

Reactions: FormentonTheFuture

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

What do they do the week before the draft then?

Emerica

May 29, 2010
In order to cut expenses, the Senators will be permanently moving to the Brewer Arena.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Tuned in to team1200 for the first time in months and they were interviewing Dean Brown.. couldn't listen to more than 10 seconds and had to change stations

Reactions: Icelevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad