TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Person has an excellent take about Brannstrom and how we should be patient with him and simmer responds with his typical holier than thou attitude (after saying Brannstrom isn’t good). Why do people like this guy?

That guy was saying it’s too early to judge the trade after Simmer said it was a bad trade. Literally everyone on this board has said it was a terrible trade.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Person has an excellent take about Brannstrom and how we should be patient with him and simmer responds with his typical holier than thou attitude (after saying Brannstrom isn’t good). Why do people like this guy?

You always get the bootlickers under those responses too talkin bout 'how dare anyone question someone who worked in the NHL and was admittedly terrible at his job!!'

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
That guy was saying it’s too early to judge the trade after Simmer said it was a bad trade. Literally everyone on this board has said it was a terrible trade.
no the guy made an excellent point that it’s way too early to judge or call Brannstrom a disappointment. Which simmer basically says right after, “no it’s not I trust my own experience and expert scouting knowledge” when he’s been very wrong on numerous occasions.

If the Sens moved Brannstrom and he ended up being very good people like this would say they always knew he’d be great!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Probably because it's just playing the odds in this case. How many guys under 5-10 can be successful blueliners in the NHL? It's hard enough as a forward under 5-10...for a blueliner, it's a helluva lot harder.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Everybody has been right & wrong about players, the longer you have been in the game the more rights & wrongs you get. We often hear on here how good Ottawa is at drafting & they have made plenty of mistakes or given up on players & they have gotten lucky on a number of players. That's just the business, nobody knows how an 18 yr old kid is going to handle being an NHL player & whether they will be able to transition to another level. It's an educated guess at best & hope for the best with as much info as possible. We remember the successes & hope that people forget about the mistakes.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Brannstrom is 20 years old.

T W E N T Y!

Lots of time for him to turn into anything from a bust to a superstar. Likely somewhere in between.

Name one good trade Simmer ever made. Honestly, name one.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
That's not a point. That's something that applies to every player who doesn't live up to expectations earlier in their NHL career. It's about as useful as saying, "water is wet".

Number 26 is definitely a variable. He's got time to get things together. Can't be called a bust yet.

PS - Being a liquid, water is not itself wet, but can make other solid materials wet.

Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid, so when we say that something is wet, we mean that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material.
Whether an object is wet or dry depends on a balance between cohesive and adhesive forces. Cohesive forces are attractive forces within the liquid that cause the molecules in the liquid to prefer to stick together. Cohesive forces are also responsible for surface tension. If the cohesive forces are very strong, then the liquid molecules really like to stay close together and they won't spread out on the surface of an object very much. On the contrary, adhesive forces are the attractive forces between the liquid and the surface of the material. If the adhesive forces are strong, then the liquid will try and spread out onto the surface as much as possible. So how wet a surface is depends on the balance between these two forces. If the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are bigger than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material becomes wet, and the liquid tends to spread out to maximize contact with the surface. On the other hand, if the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are smaller than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material is dry, and the liquid tends to bead-up into a spherical drop and tries to minimize the contact with the surface.
Water actually has pretty high cohesive forces due to hydrogen bonding, and so is not as good at wetting surfaces as some liquids such as acetone or alcohols. However, water does wet certain surfaces like glass for example. Adding detergents can make water better at wetting by lowering the cohesive forces . Water resistant materials such as Gore-tex fabric is made of material that is hydrophobic (water repellent) and so the cohesive forces within the water (liquid-liquid) are much stronger than the adhesive force (liquid-solid) and water tends to bead-up on the outside of the material and you stay dry.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Are you sure, because the Belleville Sens site lists him at 5-9.

The point being, being that height is quite rare in the NHL. He could make it, but it's going to be really difficult.
Listed at 5'10 everywhere else. Regardless, he's already proven his worth in the AHL which is arguably more physical than the NHL, and when I saw him in the NHL he looked fine to me in his own end and skating wise.

Anyways I don't want to veer off topic of the radio station, so I will digress.

Reactions: TheDebater

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

simmers paid to talk and get eyeballs; not be right. Safe bet that he’s wrong about Brannstrom who’ll have an excellent NHL career.

Let’s let Brannstrom get a couple to seasons in and let’s see what the 2nd round pick does before we call this trade lopsided. Stone would be on the final minute of any game if I’m a coach, doesn’t matter if we need a goal or are defending a goal - but if the man isn’t going to sign then what are you gonna do? GM can’t take on salary and not not many teams can fit a long term top dollar contract into their lineup and give up their best prospect and a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: variable26

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Whenever I watch him get pushed around defensively by bigger tougher players.

I assume that has more to do with his smaller size and inexperience as opposed to his inability to fight for the puck, which would be my definition of soft, which he is not.

Every time he was on the ice, he would battle, if he falls he gets right back up, he throws hits, he gets knocked around but does not back down. Those are not the characteristics of a soft player.

Reactions: GCK

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Okay, which of you texted in to the 10-2 show, with Dean and AJ and offered the colonoscopy comment after Dean's tequila story?

F'ng priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad