TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
How about an interview with some Arizona reporters to here how LeBlanc was viewed in their market?
Even if its a positive response. Have an "expert opinion" from someone else who doesn't cover the Ottawa Senators is definitely a good idea.

I will admit, I haven't listened to much radio yet, so I have no idea if and how many guests the station has had, but I am sure that finding guests to come on talk radio for free has probably never been easier.

Has there been any insiders that have come on to talk the NFL draft (which is tomorrow), other than Duke Ellingson and Hank Burris? If not, why not? How bout someone to come on to discuss Michael Jordan and the new Netlix doc, or have the hosts just talked about it amongst themselves?

Last edited:

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Here is the latest posting regarding LeBlanc on the Arizona forum.
The Feckless PuckRegistered Loser
New
Call it as subjective as you want, but the truth is that LeBlanc was the public face of a group of absolute small-timer grifters who nearly torpedoed the Arizona Coyotes franchise (under the guise of "saving" it). So my guess is that he's there to try and improve fan/ownership relations. Good luck with that.

And yet, all we hear is sunshine and rainbows from our local media...

Disgusting lack of journalistic integrity.​

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Here is the latest posting regarding LeBlanc on the Arizona forum.
The Feckless PuckRegistered Loser
New
Call it as subjective as you want, but the truth is that LeBlanc was the public face of a group of absolute small-timer grifters who nearly torpedoed the Arizona Coyotes franchise (under the guise of "saving" it). So my guess is that he's there to try and improve fan/ownership relations. Good luck with that.

And yet, all we hear is sunshine and rainbows from our local media...

Disgusting lack of journalistic integrity.​
What defines journalism more than a random anonymous poster on an Arizona fan forum. SMDH.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
What defines journalism more than a random anonymous poster on an Arizona fan forum. SMDH.

If I suggested they interview a random poster from the Arizona fan forum, you'd have a point.

If they would stop pretending their job is to pump up every "great" hire and reach out to Coyotes reporters and/or staff for some actual feedback it would be appreciated.

Who knows, maybe LeBlanc is great and every Yotes fan is wrong. Speculation: - Anthony Leblanc hired by Senators

It would be nice to have the local media do their job instead of parroting the company line.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If I suggested they interview a random poster from the Arizona fan forum, you'd have a point.

If they would stop pretending their job is to pump up every "great" hire and reach out to Coyotes reporters and/or staff for some actual feedback it would be appreciated.

Who knows, maybe LeBlanc is great and every Yotes fan is wrong. It would be nice to have the local media do their job instead of parroting the company line.
:clap:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Some LIVE broadcasting ideas wrt sequence of events for a June draft:

Week 1
  • Hold made-for-TV (supporting many broadcasting platforms including radio) NHL 2020 Draft Lottery
  • Allow teams to start trading NHL 2020 draft picks immediately (until the end of the actual draft), but the league doesn't announce it until Draft day
  • For example, Ottawa trades their 21 and 33rd to grab the 16th pick

Week 2
  • Hold made-for-TV (supporting many broadcasting platforms including radio) NHL 2020 Draft
  • Have Bettman announce the swaps live on TV when it's time for pick 16

When NHL comes back to play eventually, finish off the regular season to determine the playoff seeds. I can finally root for a Sens win after a tanking that felt like a lifetime.

There is a good opportunity here for the NHL to connect with the fans and generate a lot of interest.
@ianmendes What do you think? As broadcasters (TSN), what type of influence do you have on NHL on these types of ideas before they decide a way forward?

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
That part of the survey will be quickly dismissed.
I think that anything mentioning ownership was removed from the survey before it came out and it seems to already be being dismissed by the people who think that ownership isn't a problem (see Melnyk thread).

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
With the virus upsetting normal programing, It has been interesting to hear all the on air guys and formulate a new opinion. So, after a little less than 4 months since the changes here is how I see radio shaping up. It is going to seem like harsh critique, I really don't mean it that way. It's just a viewpoint. As there is less sports, you get to see a bit of a different side to the onair guys.

1) JR.. Fantastic personality, but at time "too cool for school". Smart, informed, well connected, but he needs to dial "joe cool" down a notch.
2) Simmer..He comes off as if he is there more out of need than want. He must miss his hockey days something awful. I don't blame him. To leave the penthouse to go to the basement, cannot be easy. Almost exclusively a hockey guy, but in this town, that is okay. He is careful enough to go quiet when other subjects are being discussed. His goofiness is entertaining.
3) Loydie. A bit of an enigma. At times it appears that his sports knowledge is seemingly limited, at others, he can articulate points with the best of them. Tries awfully hard to be JR jr. Trying to be HIP and it does not come off well.
4) AJ..Smartest sports man on there. Well traveled, well informed.. But volatile, although in a strangely likable way I grant you. It does end up taking away from points that he makes. Needs to be a little more; JR jr. With his sports knowledge, he could be fantastic. I love how he deals with just about every major sport around.
5) Versage...AJ jr only volatile in a less likeable way. Knowledgeable, but argumentative. Lee needs to be a tad more humble and a tad more jovial. A little more laughter on the air...But as with AJ, bring up a sport and odds are good, he has at least a minor knowledge.
6) Mendes..Nicest person on there. Ethical, moral. Fights for causes..But, all too often, he acts as if he is Ben Mulroney or Maralene Denise, ...Ian, Ben is leaving his show, this is your chance..This is not about a "stick to sports" to silence social issues. I actually like his activism. This is about a stick to sports, to provide me with sports content. I can watch Maralene or Ben...
7) Creech .. Very knowledgeable, needs to be less preoccupied with image. Too busy trying to be the cool young guy..he seems to be tripping over his own feet trying to appeal to 20 somethings and prove he is one them.
8) Bunda..comes off as a gentle soul. Can be a tad insecure and a tad sensitive...Pairing him with Versage at times is a mistake..Lee is too harsh. Sports knowledge is intermediate, or maybe his shyness keeps him away from being too involved..or possibly, it is understood that he is the 3rd man in the booth and his role is to be a lesser one???
9) Kaunisviita (love Matty Vowles, or is it Marty??). He is a producer, but good when he comes on..
10) Hamer. Very Similar to Matty Vowels.

I know. With little sports going on, you have to fill 12 hours of air time with something. But of late that something is less and less sports and more and more "other". Sometimes, outright silliness. I find myself tuning in to US radio more and more. They kill you with commercials, but they are more hardcore sports guys.

Guys, please, a little more content. A little less of "look what I did, will do and going to do" and a little less inside jokes etc. our lives are not this pathetic. We don't need to live vicariously through you.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Dingle, what a summary! You need a refreshing alternative. I enjoy Sens chatter when I can get it but I must say that Overdrive on TSN1050 is quite entertaining. Lots of guests and ODog is an interesting character. If it gets too "Leafy"just switch the station.
Once the season resumes there will be less air to fill on 1200 and much more Sens talk, but try Overdrive for a refreshing change.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I haven't listened to sports talk radio since i stopped driving to work 4 months ago

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Dingle, what a summary! You need a refreshing alternative. I enjoy Sens chatter when I can get it but I must say that Overdrive on TSN1050 is quite entertaining. Lots of guests and ODog is an interesting character. If it gets too "Leafy"just switch the station.
Once the season resumes there will be less air to fill on 1200 and much more Sens talk, but try Overdrive for a refreshing change.

OTown,

at this time, listening to: two peewee aged players debating black versus white hockey tape is more informative. Have you listened to AJ, creech and Vowels today..zero content. Oh My God. Of all the times for Dan Patrick TO STOP HIS FREEBIE ON YOUTUBE. Anyone know how much subscription is? How about cowherd? How much is his show?

I am loyal to this city and want to support it, but geez...I would listen to Joe Bowen on one side and Ron Fournier on the other and be okay with it.

AJ..I beg you, go back to ranting about soccer haters. At least content.

Home office OTWON..10 hours a day at my desk. the radio is company..Yea phone calls, focus on detailed stuff, but for the most part, the work is general enough that the radio is always on..It means TSN1200 a good 8-9 hours a day...Most days, I would do summersaults if I get 1 hour of quality content!!!! And our Yankee friends are great! Fantastic focus, content is usually high, but they would cut off the Head of the CIA if he is on the verge of naming the Kennedy assassin, if a commercial is due. Then they would come back on and go on to the next topic! And the irony is: I am okay with this approach up here. At least it would minimize the onair guys. I use ot hate commercials, now I wait for them and tune out the regular programming.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I was extremely happy to hear AJ had been released from hospital a while back, and it's been good to hear his voice on the radio again.

Over the past few days, however, all I've learned from listening to In The Box are that AJ voted for Doug Ford, details about his love life, how he didn't get a lap dance in Norway, and that the "hottest babes" are in Quebec City.

The show is completely off the rails. I know there's precious little sports to talk about these days, but somehow all the other shows on 1200 manage to produce better content than the absolute drivel of In The Box. Someone at the station who knows what they're doing (Ian? J.R.?) needs to step in and either pair AJ with someone who can guide a show, or give him some kind of structure to work around, because the station is trash every day from 10-2.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
OTown,

at this time, listening to: two peewee aged players debating black versus white hockey tape is more informative. Have you listened to AJ, creech and Vowels today..zero content. Oh My God. Of all the times for Dan Patrick TO STOP HIS FREEBIE ON YOUTUBE. Anyone know how much subscription is? How about cowherd? How much is his show?

I am loyal to this city and want to support it, but geez...I would listen to Joe Bowen on one side and Ron Fournier on the other and be okay with it.

AJ..I beg you, go back to ranting about soccer haters. At least content.

Home office OTWON..10 hours a day at my desk. the radio is company..Yea phone calls, focus on detailed stuff, but for the most part, the work is general enough that the radio is always on..It means TSN1200 a good 8-9 hours a day...Most days, I would do summersaults if I get 1 hour of quality content!!!! And our Yankee friends are great! Fantastic focus, content is usually high, but they would cut off the Head of the CIA if he is on the verge of naming the Kennedy assassin, if a commercial is due. Then they would come back on and go on to the next topic! And the irony is: I am okay with this approach up here. At least it would minimize the onair guys. I use ot hate commercials, now I wait for them and tune out the regular programming.

For your own sanity turn to another station!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I was extremely happy to hear AJ had been released from hospital a while back, and it's been good to hear his voice on the radio again.

Over the past few days, however, all I've learned from listening to In The Box are that AJ voted for Doug Ford, details about his love life, how he didn't get a lap dance in Norway, and that the "hottest babes" are in Quebec City.

The show is completely off the rails. I know there's precious little sports to talk about these days, but somehow all the other shows on 1200 manage to produce better content than the absolute drivel of In The Box. Someone at the station who knows what they're doing (Ian? J.R.?) needs to step in and either pair AJ with someone who can guide a show, or give him some kind of structure to work around, because the station is trash every day from 10-2.

I think it’s safe to say AJ is the Crowned Head of rambling. The man can ask himself a question, and answer it 4 different ways by saying the exact same thing but differently, and argue against the other side of his own question. He’s a 1 man court room. God Bless him.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

I like AJ but as a host he is boring. With creech it doesn't work well. His pace is too slow to the point where there is too much dead air. Compare that to Ian and Leever where it's constant back and forth. Same issue with Chris Stevenson, not enough tempo or on mic presence. AJ needs to be the wing man for either Leever or Mindy.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I like AJ but as a host he is boring. With creech it doesn't work well. His pace is too slow to the point where there is too much dead air. Compare that to Ian and Leever where it's constant back and forth. Same issue with Chris Stevenson, not enough tempo or on mic presence. AJ needs to be the wing man for either Levver or Mindy.
AJ doesn't strike me as a guy who would be very happy being the wing man, but he is 100% better suited to that roll.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
I like AJ but as a host he is boring. With creech it doesn't work well. His pace is too slow to the point where there is too much dead air. Compare that to Ian and Leever where it's constant back and forth. Same issue with Chris Stevenson, not enough tempo or on mic presence. AJ needs to be the wing man for either Leever or Mindy.

Hey Stylizer..why did they get rid of Steve Warren? I always found it strange how he was let go and then, near zero mention since. The guy was there for 20 years and it is as if he never worked there.

Was there jealousy, because he was making bucks on the side in investments?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Hey Stylizer..why did they get rid of Steve Warren? I always found it strange how he was let go and then, near zero mention since. The guy was there for 20 years and it is as if he never worked there.

Was there jealousy, because he was making bucks on the side in investments?
Lol, what?

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Lol, what?

I cannot quickly remember a senior man like him being let go. Radio and TV can be brutal for purges, but often they are selective. Older employees whose popularity was fading and salary were high. Warren was popular in Ottawa. He had his fans. TGOR was an institution in this city and Warren was not some 70 year old, that 20 somethings could no longer relate to?

His leaving always left me puzzled. Almost like it was personal. No Eulogy of sorts afterwards. Only Simmer after about 2 or 3 days and most likely thanks to a barrage of texts, posts, emails..offered a "Warrnsie is a good man...etc.". Strange!!!!!

He was somewhat involved with Greco wasn't he? I always sensed that he was earning some side dollars due to that connection. The man buys a home in Manotick..you ever gone through there? Not exactly low end townhouses!!!

Anyway, I thought that you may have some insight. You seem to know that world. Everyone wants to be on radio or TV, or write for a paper. Then they get their wish and realize that you are about as secure as member of Trump's cabinet.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I know nothing about his personal life. Like with all Bell Media employees they get fired for mostly no reason. Because o his tenure there I would think it came down to money. They canned Marcotte, Snow, Harris, Green, White, Sutcliffe, Studley......the list goes on. There was definitely a void after he left. The fact that it was probably JR who had to do it makes it even worse because from what I could gather they were pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->