TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
My favourite thing about today is watching all the Ottawa sports media armchair quarterback the lockdown - these guys never miss a chance to throw shade at people who Comment on their trade rumours and poor work - now it’s literal life and death and these guys who say they aren’t qualified to ask Melnyck a question about finances or a new arena now have opinions on hospitable bed counts, ICU impacts and anything else they have zero qualifications for.

What a state of affairs that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is amusing as a result.

first things first, give my uninformed opinion on something I have no qualifications for and continually rail against which is not only extremely careless but insensitive and the definition of male Privilege. Next, spend 14 minutes talking about my opinion of the paint job on the new goalie mask.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Simmer talks hockey a fair bit, more than anyone else .. as with everyone else we don't have to agree with all his takes. I am glad he's there otherwise there would be an even bigger hole

Simmer is maybe the only guy on the TSN 1200 roster that spends more time talking sport, than talking about BBQ recipes, fantasy football and all the other stupid crap other talk about.

About two years ago, someone here mentioned that TSN 690 in Montreal was head and shoulders above what we listen to here.

I agree.... since I purchased a new vehicle, I can now pull in TSN 690, and find myself listen to them more that TSN 12000.... because they stick to sports talk much more than the crap they talk about on TSN 1200.

I spent the first three months of the Pandemic, in BC, and listened to TSN 1040.... and they too spend the majority of their time talking sports, and not what they plan to buy their wives for Christmas or whatever.

We here in Ottawa deserve better..... I no longer tune in at 6 am, to listen to the nonsense they air in the first block of “Mornings”....
Whomever is the programming director over there, should listen to 690 and 1040, to see how a sports station is supposed to sound like.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I used too listen everyday all day but now I really don't listen at all anymore. Mostly due to covid and the fact it not really interesting.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
It has been this way for a long time. Hard core sports talk ended about 5-6 years ago. They are trying to reach a new audience. A younger audience. One that is far less hardcore.

Have you guys not noticed the world around you? We the children of the 60's through the 90's were sports junkies. Today's young are video game junkies. TSN has to try and lure that crowd, so it must play Romper room.

VPN folks..Dan Patrick 9-12. Collin Cowherd 12-3. If you prefer ESPN Mike Greenberg will be on from 9 am (I think until noon...by the grace of God Le Batard is gone.)

Reactions: Stylizer1

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Simmer is maybe the only guy on the TSN 1200 roster that spends more time talking sport, than talking about BBQ recipes, fantasy football and all the other stupid crap other talk about.

About two years ago, someone here mentioned that TSN 690 in Montreal was head and shoulders above what we listen to here.

I agree.... since I purchased a new vehicle, I can now pull in TSN 690, and find myself listen to them more that TSN 12000.... because they stick to sports talk much more than the crap they talk about on TSN 1200.

I spent the first three months of the Pandemic, in BC, and listened to TSN 1040.... and they too spend the majority of their time talking sports, and not what they plan to buy their wives for Christmas or whatever.

We here in Ottawa deserve better..... I no longer tune in at 6 am, to listen to the nonsense they air in the first block of “Mornings”....
Whomever is the programming director over there, should listen to 690 and 1040, to see how a sports station is supposed to sound like.

Mendez offered his e-mail a few months ago. I wrote. He replied.....they are Sensitive!!! Re-iterate what you wrote and see how he jumps.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It has been this way for a long time. Hard core sports talk ended about 5-6 years ago. They are trying to reach a new audience. A younger audience. One that is far less hardcore.

Have you guys not noticed the world around you? We the children of the 60's through the 90's were sports junkies. Today's young are video game junkies. TSN has to try and lure that crowd, so it must play Romper room.

VPN folks..Dan Patrick 9-12. Collin Cowherd 12-3. If you prefer ESPN Mike Greenberg will be on from 9 am (I think until noon...by the grace of God Le Batard is gone.)
Cowherd is a blowhard. Greeny is good but he was better with Golic.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Cowherd is a blowhard. Greeny is good but he was better with Golic.
About 2 years ago, I started logging in to TalkSports from the UK. Sunday evening mostly, to get EPL chatter. And F1, Tennis, etc.

Wow, what a difference. Far more intellectual, far more calm. Audience call in that was/is incredibly articulate and intelligent. Even the commercials were unbelievably high brow (ditto goes for their TV..I logged in to watch cycling events). Its no wonder they thumb their noses at us.

Why the bleep are we stuck with; blowhards, idiots, fools, inane conversationalists, inarticulate, etc., sports radio hosts and sports radio culture as a whole?

We have so dumb'd things down that it is now unbearable. And people wonder how Trump got elected. The real miracle is; how did he not get re-elected???

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
So Ian Mendes is leaving TSN 1200 to write full time for the Athletic, as reported by Ian himself on the radio this morning.

Wow
RIP 1200. If you combined all the current regulars, I doubt you'd get a tripple digit IQ. Mendes was the only sane and credible human involved with that station outside the that's what she said girls and the legal expert. I can pretty much just take that station off my presets on my car's radio. Good luck to Ian, he deserves this.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Well there goes the only reason I tuned in

The thing I've noticed about that station is I rarely learn anything new. They're all mostly super basic in the knowledge.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Hopefully Ian also replaces Hailey on the common Sens podcast with Nichols.

I’m listening less and less to traditional radio and more and more to podcasts so I hope he does a pod. He was one of the main reasons I’d tune in to TSN1200. Huge loss for them and huge get for theathletic.

I remain glad I got a subscription.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ian saying (paraphrasing) he will be asking more direct questions to people in power with the team is refreshing. And if anyone can do it in a way that won’t upset them, it’s Ian. Except that one time he possed off melnyk lmao

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

This has convinced me to try out an Athletic subscription.

Great news for the Athletic and @ianmendes

I will treat this job as if I’m an elected official — working on your behalf to ask the relevant and important questions that need to be put to those in positions of power.

When the situation warrants, I will be tough, fair and brutally honest. But when the circumstance requires levity and a humorous touch, I will be there to deliver a well placed and witty Oleg Saprykin joke. I intend to capture the wide range of emotions that encapsulate being an Ottawa Senators fan at this exact moment in time — a unique mixture that includes equal parts optimism, dread, passion and indifference.

In addition to writing about the Senators, I’m keen to have the canvas to write about some broader NHL stories. I’m hoping for an opportunity to shine a light on some the social issues that are bubbling beneath the surface of our sport

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Good luck Mendes.

Ethical and responsible. He was far more of a Jeremy or Dick Schaap type than a day to day guy. Or at least he wanted to be. They asked him to be Romper Room and that must have been hard on him.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
RIP 1200. If you combined all the current regulars, I doubt you'd get a tripple digit IQ. Mendes was the only sane and credible human involved with that station outside the that's what she said girls and the legal expert. I can pretty much just take that station off my presets on my car's radio. Good luck to Ian, he deserves this.

be fair...of the station's 1.2 million person market. You have to cater to the 15-45 year olds. They represent the "spend like a drunken sailor crowd", that you need to cater to. So, you have the attention span of the 15-25 year old to deal with. You have the reality that only about 1/3 of all of society has anything more than a high school degree. The reality that we have dumbed things down to the lowest levels possible. It is why the Kardashians are a huge hit.

It leaves the station and Bell media in the unenviable position of having to follow the KISS principal (Whether you interpret it as " Keep it simple AND stupid" or "Keep it simple, STUPID").

The great Stephen Hawking had the best line ever in his book about black holes..."Sales of books are inversely proportional to the amount of formulas in them". And his books were targeted at scientists to begin with.

KISS: I love that principle. Trump got elected that way.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Very happy for Ian getting to make the choice. Hopefully Creech is the replacement rather than Bunda. Creech and Lee are good together and they tend to talk about all sports not just hockey.

Reactions: sensturion

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Big step up for The Athletic to have Ian covering the Sens for them. Still don't think it's enough to get me to subscribe. But hopefully it will also free him up to do more tv spots. It would be great to have him replacing Garrioch on the intermission segments.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Very happy for Ian getting to make the choice. Hopefully Creech is the replacement rather than Bunda. Creech and Lee are good together and they tend to talk about all sports not just hockey.

Great for Ian. I'm glad I got the Athletic when it was on sale for $1 a month. Definitely will continue to subscribe going forward. And hard no to Creech. The station needs some fresh blood. Someone exciting. Is Methot a possibility?

Reactions: cudi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad