TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Ian,

1) Try some clean spitting chicklets stuff. Longer format casual interviews with retired sens players and other hockey personalities. Insider stories from the players and management. Would love to go down memory lane with a guy like Wade Redden, maybe even guys like Rod Bryden, etc.

2) more draft stuff. Sens fans are stoked about our picks. Also more prospect content.

3) Discussions around team strategy like we have here. Armchair GM, but with guys who actually know what they're talking about.

Also, maybe have some intern underling on your staff post in here to market upcoming show content? My listening schedule is totally disrupted, but I'm still regularly checking in here. You post here that JBD is on today and I'll be there.

Last edited:

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Ian, An interesting segment would be a panel of ex-players discussing the state of the game, with lots of anecdotes thrown in from their time in the league.

Really enjoy the throwback Thursday segment.
Would also be interesting to get an ex-officials viewpoint on how the game has changed.

Given the tough times now for local business, how about a top five of the Capital segment.
Take out business could use a boost in this crazy time we are experiencing.
Favourite burger joint, favourite pizza, best coffee , favourite craft beer, favourite bagel joint, best fish and chips, favourite Shawarma place etc.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Get Alfie on, be good to hear his voice. A hero and the most respected man in the city.

and just talk about everything but the Senators - fitness, hockey for kids, sports for family, his self isolation, lost Stanley cup opportunity from the strike, mental health.

C’mon Alfie, to be honest, I’d really appreciate it. Be good for us.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Might be a good opportunity to talk more about the local hockey scene. Jr A & B, the local sports schools, things of that nature. stuff that often doesn't get much airtime.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
TSN radio in Montreal is doing a March Madness of sporting events that happened in the history of the city. There's a bracket of 64 significant events, seeded, and people will be voting to determine a winner. There's probably not as big a selection in Ottawa but it probably wouldn't be impossible to come up with 64 events that happened here. They are events that physically took place in the city, not just events involving the city's teams that might have happened anywhere (but the rules could be changed of course).

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
TSN radio in Montreal is doing a March Madness of sporting events that happened in the history of the city. There's a bracket of 64 significant events, seeded, and people will be voting to determine a winner. There's probably not as big a selection in Ottawa but it probably wouldn't be impossible to come up with 64 events that happened here. They are events that physically took place in the city, not just events involving the city's teams that might have happened anywhere (but the rules could be changed of course).
I would definitely put that Rundblad pass up there.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Hey Ian, I just thought of a great topic for your show. Have callers tell their best glory story from playing sports. Could be a play, an amazing win or loss, something funny or embarrassing, crazy/amazing coach. Let the callers relive it. Winner gets a TSN 1200 dollar store trophy with their name engraved.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Hey Ian, I just thought of a great topic for your show. Have callers tell their best glory story from playing sports. Could be a play, an amazing win or loss, something funny or embarrassing, crazy/amazing coach. Let the callers relive it. Winner gets a TSN 1200 dollar store trophy with their name engraved.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

We don't want to hear about your Polk High touchdowns, Al.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Listening to Bunda and Creech today talking MMA was a welcome change. I am not much of an MMA fan, but it was something different.

IAN,..here is a recommendation..each day focus on a different sport or two.. You can go through their history, their present and their future. By the time the next 4 weeks are up, you would have covered the 20-30 major sports...

To go even deeper, deal with sport's politics, government interference, historical significance.. This is an excellent time to educate.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Hey gang,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted in here, but I wanted to reconnect on this platform for a couple of reasons.

1. I would like to know how many of you are still listening to us on a regular basis and in your regular patterns?

2. If you are listening, what have you thought about our content? Too light? Too serious? Good mixture of both? (I’ll be honest, my goal has been to be a distraction and create fun and light topics. But if you feel like I’m missing the mark, I would appreciate some constructive feedback)

3. What would you like to see from my timeslot in the weeks ahead?

Thanks a ton. (And to answer a question from way earlier in this thread, I 100 per cent check this site and look for ideas and to see what Sens fans are talking about. If you’re trying to get a pulse of the fan base, you need to check places like this, Reddit, Twitter, etc).

Ian
Hey Ian, been a while. Your favorite annoying Sens drummer here. Hope the family is well.

I unfortunately catch your shows later on TSN.ca now, but content has been great. Don't change anything my friend, it's working. Maybe get the NHL Draft lottery trending for us!

Cheers,
Roch

Reactions: DrEasy

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
When you have players on, get two guys who were very close as teammates at the same time, especially if one or both are the 'out there' type. They will be more primed to give some juicy stories, and the right questions will lead them right to the insider stuff we all want.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Heard a commercial by the Gov't of Ontario on TSN1200 this morning shortly after 8:50 or 9:50... If you have symptoms or some such phrase... blah... blah... or if you traveled out of the country you "SHOULD" isolate for 14 days.

Am I wrong to think that "should" is a weak word in this context?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Heard a commercial by the Gov't of Ontario on TSN1200 this morning shortly after 8:50 or 9:50... If you have symptoms or some such phrase... blah... blah... or if you traveled out of the country you "SHOULD" isolate for 14 days.

Canada is soft. It may be taken as too overbearing if they said “shall”.

;)

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Canada is soft. It may be taken as too overbearing if they said “shall”.

;)

My French has deteriorated through lack of use but it is my language of youth and early schooling so I could be giving meaning to English words that aren't intended. For me "should" means an expectation of a probable outcome but not necessarily a result, or a suggestion or a recommendation. I found it a weak word used as a lawful order since there is a likelihood of serious health consequences plus add to this fines and civil or even potential criminal charges. I expected the word to be "MUST" so there is no ambiguity.

There is some confusion it appears on some levels. Just look at the stories in the Sun.... Orleans man fined $700 for letting autistic son play in empty field, 43 tickets handed out for not adhering to "physical distancing laws" and Britannia dog park walk costs man $800. The explanations given by authorities in some of the articles show much interpretation is in the hands of the bylaw officers. Since early suggestions and recommendations have morphed into laws over time, people may not be ignoring the law so much as being confused by the messaging.

Ottawa Sun

I'm officially bored with TV. Anything to take a few more ticks off the clock even if it's a Provincial Gov't radio ad. Next I'm rearranging my sock drawer. Hopefully I'll finally be able to wear a matching pair.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017

Not surprising there are many including many of yours beloved TSN Host who don't think the shelter in place applies to them.

Reactions: TallyHo

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Not surprising there are many including many of yours beloved TSN Host who don't think the shelter in place applies to them.

If you are talking about TSN1200 hosts the ones I heard discuss the topic over the radio are taking proper precautions. The hosts and the producer are in separate studios or rooms and they say the building is near empty. Some even broadcasted from home a few times and interviews are all done over the phone. JR mentioned a few times that he goes out for groceries since his wife broke her foot slipping on the ice. The most he does it seems is go for a walk but stays away from others. He mentioned a social evening with friends and family but that was done using one of the video conferencing apps. Some of the other hosts have discussed their grocery shopping habits and living arrangements and it all sounded within recommended guidelines.

This has all been broadcast over the radio by those involved themselves so I'm not revealing any secrets here.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Was Lee furloughed or layed off in favour of Steve Lloyd or is he on vacation? I would hope if there was cuts they would do rotating furloughs, that' what my company is doing everyone shares the pain.

Reactions: EdSoxFan

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
When you have players on, get two guys who were very close as teammates at the same time, especially if one or both are the 'out there' type. They will be more primed to give some juicy stories, and the right questions will lead them right to the insider stuff we all want.
Get Erik Karlsson on the radio with Brian 5or6 and Marc Methot, that would be radio gold.

I can imagine that Eugene would not be happy with this, so I know it won't happen, but it would be fantastic radio.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
How about an interview with some Arizona reporters to hear how LeBlanc was viewed in their market?

You know, a little actual journalism instead of just waiving the PomPoms at the latest “great” hire by the Sens.

They might say great things, but it would be nice to get an outside opinion and not just parrot club press releases.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad