The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Marcel Desjardins this morning - a GM with confidence in his voice, relaxed, a full command of his team and players, unapologetic, non-combative, fully supportive of his beliefs and understabding of other opinions, deep belief in his abilities and his team.

Desjardins lost his QB and his star offensive players and he’s on the radio the next morning fully confident his team will
Manage it. A GM with a plan.

Desjardins and the Redblacks are such a great organization - that’s a GM running a team free of interference and outside worry. His sole job is make the best team he can.

Just struck me how opposite Desjardins is from what we got from The Sens last week. Dorion sounded dour and nervous, Rudwonski sounded like a bad spin doctor explaining something for the first time to people he didn’t really understand but knew he had to publicly throw props to the owner for owning.

The Redblacks are already a fully
Mature organization, the Sens are the Ottawa offspring that can’t get its feet under it and stumbles along saying it’s not drunk, it’s the fans who have to change their prospective and tilt their heads and bob them to see how that heir stumbling around aimlessly is actually perfectly normal if you just suspend reason and rationality and completely change the way you look at things.

You certainly have some interesting perspectives Tuna

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You certainly have some interesting perspectives Tuna

I think of losing Mark Stone as an opportunity to get someone we don’t like as much, who we haven’t been watching since he was 19 in the WJC, who’s not as good, for the same Cap Hit - by Mark Stone leaving we are being given an opportunity for the owner to not sign anyone else to replace him - it’s just perspective man, gotta think positive when all the top players are leaving town - it’s a new and different way to suck, we’ll still suck, but if you embrace the opportunity to suck, it’s like a feeling of control over sucking rather then sucking because the organization top to bottom is dysfunctional - and it’s not being in the dumpster in last place like the owner said, it’s being in a metal container filled with other peoples rejected carbon materials and that can be turned into art or even a meal depending on the food items that were thrown own, AND it’s a container that very short people will have trouble getting into unless they have a ladder.

Gotta think positive here. Losing and losing your best players is like winning because it gives you another opportunity to.........ohhh forget it.

Reactions: The Lewler

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Did anyone hear Marcotte comparing Melnyk to Trump this afternoon lol. Got a decent chuckle out of that.

Jesus, is he allowed to say that on the air? Steve Lloyd shot down any criticism of the REDBLACKS pretty quickly.
Not sure where this "Marcel Desjardins" is in control is coming from, it's a less than ten team league and we have had only one good season, carried by Hank.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Marcel Desjardins this morning - a GM with confidence in his voice, relaxed, a full command of his team and players, unapologetic, non-combative, fully supportive of his beliefs and understabding of other opinions, deep belief in his abilities and his team.

Desjardins lost his QB and his star offensive players and he’s on the radio the next morning fully confident his team will

Desjardins and the Redblacks are such a great organization - that’s a GM running a team free of interference and outside worry. His sole job is make the best team he can.

Just struck me how opposite Desjardins is from what we got from The Sens last week. Dorion sounded dour and nervous, Rudwonski sounded like a bad spin doctor explaining something for the first time to people he didn’t really understand but knew he had to publicly throw props to the owner for owning.

Mature organization, the Sens are the Ottawa offspring that can’t get its feet under it and stumbles along saying it’s not drunk, it’s the fans who have to change their prospective and tilt their heads and bob them to see how that heir stumbling around aimlessly is actually perfectly normal if you just suspend reason and rationality and completely change the way you look at things.

lol i feel and share your pain tuna

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If the Blue Jays were as good as the Raptors these guys would be talking about them as much as they do the Sens. I don't understand this. There are only 2 sports going right now and they still can't hold a decent conversation about 1 team that represents the country like the Jays. The Sens are so bad that retelling the same what if stories are just boring at this point. Every show does this too.

Serious question, Are TGOR, In the Box, and The drive doing running off the same script? What separates the content of these shows? This is one of the main things I think the station is missing. The shows don't have direction and just kind of talk about the same things.

TGOR should cover: the sports from the night before, all of them. Keep it fun, do trivia/games/giveaways.
In the Box should cover: the local teams ie - Fury, RedBlacks, Sens/NHL, 67's, Raptors, Blue Jays, University, Team interviews, beat writers
The Drive should cover: Break down the games coming up for the night, interviews from the NHL/NBA/MLB/NFL/ major network analysts. This should be the flagship show that is serious and really goes deep into analysis. Tackle deep issues such as the Malkin 1 game suspension.

Hey Ian would love to know your thoughts on this idea or what I might be missing.
This is bang on! Pretty much everything I have been trying to say for years, but couldn't. Barely much prep work done, other than piggy backing on interviews from other shows and browsing their personal Twitter feeds for content.

Nothing separates the content, its basically a free-for-all. The only way TGOR seems to cover the night before is through Dean Roberts' updates or if there is a Sens game, other than that they go long long periods without even discussing sports at all.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This is bang on! Pretty much everything I have been trying to say for years, but couldn't. Barely much prep work done, other than piggy backing on interviews from other shows and browsing their personal Twitter feeds for content.

Nothing separates the content, its basically a free-for-all. The only way TGOR seems to cover the night before is through Dean Roberts' updates or if there is a Sens game, other than that they go long long periods without even discussing sports at all.
Saying they barely do prep is a little insulting. I think it just has to do with coordination of content.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Saying they barely do prep is a little insulting. I think it just has to do with coordination of content.

Ian obviously does prep work for The Drive, but I don't think it's a stretch to say the other two daytime shows do very little in the way of prep (especially TGOR). It just comes across when listening to the show(s).

Coordination of content is obviously a glaring issue as well, but it's pretty clear some of the hosts in the earlier time slots get a little "lost" if the topic ventures too far from their comfort zone.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I disagree with the prep work statement. Ian definitely does some show prep and has even showed us here what goes into his planning. That doesn't mean Simmer does anything with the show outline that is given to him. I believe the other 2 shows have an element of show prep, but its quite minimal. Really TGOR only has like one segment an hour where they talk about sports. I believe that they prep their questions for the 60 second shootout, but am also pretty sure that most of the time, the questions are made up during the commercial break pre-contest.

In the Box prep is probably just a list of things to tease Whitey about.

One thing that is definitely prepped and a lot of the time is over-prepped is the multiple choice Monday questions. Like, cmon guys pick one answer, don't give us an explanation of why you didn't choose the other 3 aren't choice, pick one, explain why and move along. Would be able to get into much deeper topics if they did it this way.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

As a Raptors fan it feels great to have a president/GM like Masai Ujiri who exudes the same qualities as you alluded to with Desjardins, someone who leaves absolutely no doubt that he will do whatever it takes to build a championship calibre team (of course having MLSE money at your disposal doesn't hurt).

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
As a Raptors fan it feels great to have a president/GM like Masai Ujiri who exudes the same qualities as you alluded to with Desjardins, someone who leaves absolutely no doubt that he will do whatever it takes to build a championship calibre team (of course having MLSE money at your disposal doesn't hurt).

Ofcourse the money makes it easier, but it's more Masai himself that makes that organization go. He is highly, highly respected by his players (Demar notwithstanding) and his peers, and that same level of excellence simply trickles down through the organization.

The owners are irrelevant because Masai is the man and everyone trusts him. It's incredible what someone like that can do for an organization. It's very similar for what BM did for us.

The Senators are so desperately in need of someone like this. The problem is the current owner either: A) has no idea that's what he needs, or B) knows that's what he needs but doesn't want to relinquish the control that he currently has on hockey ops.

Either way, Sens are royally f***ed until there's true change in the front office. People don't like working for bosses they don't respect, and the Sens have so many of those right now it's pathetic.

Reactions: RaMai and Silencio

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
In the Box prep is probably just a list of things to tease Whitey about
Just spent my lunch hour driving around and can't emphasize enough how bad it is to hear them rag on Whitey and discuss inside jokes between each other on In the Box. In between, if they have time, they squeeze in some sports.

And before anyone tells me to change the channel, I did, then went back 20 minutes later to continue hearing them poke fun at Whitey.

Is today an exception, or is this a constant?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Just spent my lunch hour driving around and can't emphasize enough how bad it is to hear them rag on Whitey and discuss inside jokes between each other on In the Box. In between, if they have time, they squeeze in some sports.

And before anyone tells me to change the channel, I did, then went back 20 minutes later to continue hearing them poke fun at Whitey.

Is today an exception, or is this a constant?
It's constant. I don't understand why he teases Todd White so much. On the radio it clearly sounds to me like flirting. It comes across as an awkward grade 5 kid trying to act out his sweetheart crush by constantly teasing her. It's bad radio.
I like Todd White though and wish they'd get him a better co-host. Maybe another former NHLer. Should see if André Roy is available. That would be fun.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It's constant. I don't understand why he teases Todd White so much. On the radio it clearly sounds to me like flirting. It comes across as an awkward grade 5 kid trying to act out his sweetheart crush by constantly teasing her. It's bad radio.
I like Todd White though and wish they'd get him a better co-host. Maybe another former NHLer. Should see if André Roy is available. That would be fun.
Its even worse when the producer gets in on it.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It's pretty bad when they have Gord Wilson or Dean Brown on at the same time.

Brutal radio

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Todd White is great on the radio when they are talking hockey and specifically hockey strategy and what's going on, on the ice (X's and O's). I rarely get to listen to that timeslot these days but it sounds like White is being wasted. He can be great when used properly. I think he's one of the best on the station but maybe not so much at the general talking-head radio-chatter sort of stuff.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I think he's one of the best on the station but maybe not so much at the general talking-head radio-chatter sort of stuff.

The “general talking-head radio-chatter” is exactly what the station needs to drop. It’s horrible.

ERGVtC.gif

Reactions: Inkling

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
There's actually tons to talk about:

1)Coaching replacements for Boucher?
2)UFA's available next year to get to Cap floor?
3)Possible captaincy to Pageau, someone else? No captain?
4)Integration of Belleville into lineup?
5)Age group of future core, having them all in same group for more perfrormance duration?
6)Targets for dead money at trade deadline?
7)Needs to address going forward?

Goes on and on. I mean, they can talk about snow, and then I will go to a station that talks about sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad