The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I can't see how anyone could apply unbiased logic to what was said last night and come to the conclusion that it was anything other than deliberate obfuscation of context and an attempt to deflect criticism by way of diversionary dialogue and stalling conversational tactics.

This. He basically changed the channel. It's PR 101.

On TV at the moment: "Eugene's bizarre boast show, live from TORONTO!"

COO calmly switches the channel over to:

"COO states obvious things and his takes are condescending or even perhaps misleading! This COO is a jerk. Live from OTTAWA!"

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That was a good interview with good questions. @ianmendes and Stevenson asked questions that fans want answers for.

Unfortunately, all Ruszkowski had to offer were long-winded non-answers. How this guy made a career in PR is a mystery to me.

But hey, fans should look at the bright side. As Nick said, the CBA mandates the team to spend to the cap floor. So losing Stone and Duchene is actually an opportunity that we should be excited about.

These guys just can't do or say anything right. I'll continue not buying tickets, alongside most people in Ottawa.

He’s not the PR hire though, that was Aimee I think... not that you can’t still be annoyed. I think he’s the finance guy no?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
He’s not the PR hire though, that was Aimee I think... not that you can’t still be annoyed. I think he’s the finance guy no?

Aimee Deziel is the CMO.

Nicholas Ruszkowski's background is in Communications and PR.

He was born and raised in Ottawa and has communications degrees from the University of Ottawa and Université Saint Paul.

Bilingual, Ruszkowski also comes into his new position with an extensive communications background. He has served as vice-president of communications and outreach for The Ottawa Hospital and as director of communications for former federal Liberal leader Stéphane Dion.

Ruszkowski’s résumé also includes a stint as vice-president, senior partner and general manager of Fleischman Hillard, a public-relations and marketing entity.

Senators new chief operating officer Nicolas Ruszkowski steps into the fire

So yeah, he was the guy hired to help craft and deliver the team's message. And he's done an awful job at it.

Reactions: Liver King

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Aimee Deziel is the CMO.

Nicholas Ruszkowski's background is in Communications and PR.

Senators new chief operating officer Nicolas Ruszkowski steps into the fire

So yeah, he was the guy hired to help craft and deliver the team's message. And he's done an awful job at it.

Thanks, I thought his job was on the finance side.

As the twat who responded to your post said, I’m getting nailed left right and centre for trolling real Sens fans... lol

Back to lurking for me, but thanks for taking the time to post all of that info.

Peace!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
To the new paragraph you added:

I didn't suggest "just me", but probably in the minority. I don't think I am biased in listening. I didn't take my pompoms out. And I didn't so much as "dismiss" opinions as much as put them in their place. A lot of people took what COO said and I personally don't think they could listen through their clenched jaws. Maybe have another listen and you may find things a little different. Or stick to your bias.

In was able to hear and understand what many others did, and share the same sentiments and concerns, but on other matters , I don't think people got what he was saying.

And you used the word "you" in various forms 8 times in that paragraph! Nice! I don't really like when people try and put words in my mouth, and your suggestions and inference that my legal background and/or incompetence is in poor taste. You don't know what type of law I practiced.

You are very black and white, maybe try some gray on sometime. I have and it makes the forum a better place instead of the name calling and accusing people of trolling...because if i didnt know any better, you are right on that trolling line yourself trying to illicit a reaction out of me rather than debate as others are doing. And I am not impressed by your thesaurus app

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
To the new paragraph you added:

I didn't suggest "just me", but probably in the minority. I don't think I am biased in listening. I didn't take my pompoms out. And I didn't so much as "dismiss" opinions as much as put them in their place. A lot of people took what COO said and I personally don't think they could listen through their clenched jaws. Maybe have another listen and you may find things a little different. Or stick to your bias.

In was able to hear and understand what many others did, and share the same sentiments and concerns, but on other matters , I don't think people got what he was saying.

And you used the word "you" in various forms 8 times in that paragraph! Nice! I don't really like when people try and put words in my mouth, and your suggestions and inference that my legal background and/or incompetence is in poor taste. You don't know what type of law I practiced.

You are very black and white, maybe try some gray on sometime. I have and it makes the forum a better place instead of the name calling and accusing people of trolling...because if i didnt know any better, you are right on that trolling line yourself trying to illicit a reaction out of me rather than debate as others are doing. And I am not impressed by your thesaurus app

Ah men brother. It reminds of way back a few days ago where the narrative around here became that PD thought we were a playoff team save for injuries this year, even though he never said anything of the sort in his interview, and even specifically said not to blame injuries.

This whole board can only see through shades of red at the moment. It’s so bad that to the non biased listener you have to be an acrobat to end up where the popular sentiment ends up (right where it started).

Reactions: coladin

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Finally got around to listening to the full pregame show.

@ianmendes I have been critical in the past and wanted to congratulate and thank you for yesterday's round table. Simply Brilliant!

If that POS COO Ruszkowski ever "graces your airwaves" again with his corpulent bombasitic presence, please feel free to tear him a new one.
(and while you're at it, punch Garrihack in his fat ugly mug for all of us) ;)

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
One of the underdiscussed portions of Ruszkowski’s meandering musings was his “free will” statement with regards to getting the UFA’s signed.

So Nick, if you set up (what Stone’s parents have reportedly described as) “a shitshow” of an organization and consistently treat the Stars with no respect, then they won’t want to stay? Weird...

Unlike the EK offer, it looks like the Sens are doing their best to provide their version of Market Value. The players appear to be responding with a resounding F-YOU’S.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So i got around to listening to the COO interview

I think a little too much noise has been made about it

Re the salary cap floor comment. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a mathematician to know that the team needs to be above the floor. Everyone here knows this. Everyone on that panel knows it. If Duchene, Stone and Dzingle walk there goes 20m + in salary. It's pretty obvious if that happens that they need to do something. Guys in here talking about Penalties for not reaching the floor...i don't know i think you're reaching. I don't get the hullabaloo about that comment. He could have said to CJ "don't be f***ing stupid there is a salary structure and you know it" he was baited with that question and there really wasn't a way to answer it without getting in to what they might target which clearly isn't going to be made public.

The other thing of interest to me was his comments about the in game experience. There was a lot of criticism about in game experience. What he said was we've heard that message and we're working on it and they clearly are. They've done a number of positive things with in game expsrience and quite a few guys have commented positively about it.

Something that i don't think is particularly well understood here is businesses cater to their customers. What he said is we are listening to our customers and we are trying to make in game improvements. And they appear to be making progress.

Idk...how many here do not attend games yet think of themselves as customers? If you are not attending games do you think they think of you as a customer? Take a guy like @coladin he's perceived as a customer. He appears to have various platforms to have his voice heard. Others on here probably don't have those same opportunities. That's life.

Lots of people are fans. Not all fans are customers.

Anyway i listened to the whole thing and as is pretty common i think the reaction to that interview is a bit overblown.

Reactions: coladin

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Re the salary cap floor comment. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a mathematician to know that the team needs to be above the floor. Everyone here knows this. Everyone on that panel knows it. If Duchene, Stone and Dzingle walk there goes 20m + in salary. It's pretty obvious if that happens that they need to do something. Guys in here talking about Penalties for not reaching the floor...i don't know i think you're reaching. I don't get the hullabaloo about that comment. He could have said to CJ "don't be ****ing stupid there is a salary structure and you know it" he was baited with that question and there really wasn't a way to answer it without getting in to what they might target which clearly isn't going to be made public.

The other thing of interest to me was his comments about the in game experience. There was a lot of criticism about in game experience. What he said was we've heard that message and we're working on it and they clearly are. They've done a number of positive things with in game expsrience and quite a few guys have commented positively about it.

Something that i don't think is particularly well understood here is businesses cater to their customers. What he said is we are listening to our customers and we are trying to make in game improvements. And they appear to be making progress.

Idk...how many here do not attend games yet think of themselves as customers? If you are not attending games do you think they think of you as a customer? Take a guy like @coladin he's perceived as a customer. He appears to have various platforms to have his voice heard. Others on here probably don't have those same opportunities. That's life.

Anyway i listened to the whole thing and as is pretty common i think the reaction to that interview is a bit overblown.
I, for one, am completely flabbergasted that you have chosen to attempt to spin that interview in a positive light.

Truly, truly shocking.

Reactions: Deku and Acidrain66

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Re the salary cap floor comment. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a mathematician to know that the team needs to be above the floor. Everyone here knows this. Everyone on that panel knows it. If Duchene, Stone and Dzingle walk there goes 20m + in salary. It's pretty obvious if that happens that they need to do something. Guys in here talking about Penalties for not reaching the floor...i don't know i think you're reaching. I don't get the hullabaloo about that comment. He could have said to CJ "don't be ****ing stupid there is a salary structure and you know it" he was baited with that question and there really wasn't a way to answer it without getting in to what they might target which clearly isn't going to be made public.

He did not answer the questions. Try adding the questions asked to your answers you are defending here. They don’t match up.

Reactions: Deku

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He did not answer the questions. Try adding the questions asked to your answers you are defending here. They don’t match up.

What questions was he asked that were actually answerable did he not answer?

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
What questions was he asked that were actually answerable did he not answer?
Off the top of my head, the investing in the front office question. His answer was a rambling load of BS about "investing" in the community. And while we're at it, he mentioned investing in the 2 sensplex centres. It's weird to brag about investing in a privately owned complex. I mean, is it free to go use the Sensplex? Serious question. If it is, kudos, but I assume it's not. So how is that "community investment" any more than the Coliseum Movie Theatre?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

I for one am shocked that you interpreted the interview this way.

Reactions: Acidrain66

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If the Blue Jays were as good as the Raptors these guys would be talking about them as much as they do the Sens. I don't understand this. There are only 2 sports going right now and they still can't hold a decent conversation about 1 team that represents the country like the Jays. The Sens are so bad that retelling the same what if stories are just boring at this point. Every show does this too.

Serious question, Are TGOR, In the Box, and The drive doing running off the same script? What separates the content of these shows? This is one of the main things I think the station is missing. The shows don't have direction and just kind of talk about the same things.

TGOR should cover: the sports from the night before, all of them. Keep it fun, do trivia/games/giveaways.
In the Box should cover: the local teams ie - Fury, RedBlacks, Sens/NHL, 67's, Raptors, Blue Jays, University, Team interviews, beat writers
The Drive should cover: Break down the games coming up for the night, interviews from the NHL/NBA/MLB/NFL/ major network analysts. This should be the flagship show that is serious and really goes deep into analysis. Tackle deep issues such as the Malkin 1 game suspension.

Hey Ian would love to know your thoughts on this idea or what I might be missing.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Awesome job by simmer and cj at 1st intermission tonight.

Get them tv jobs

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Marcel Desjardins this morning - a GM with confidence in his voice, relaxed, a full command of his team and players, unapologetic, non-combative, fully supportive of his beliefs and understabding of other opinions, deep belief in his abilities and his team.

Desjardins lost his QB and his star offensive players and he’s on the radio the next morning fully confident his team will
Manage it. A GM with a plan.

Desjardins and the Redblacks are such a great organization - that’s a GM running a team free of interference and outside worry. His sole job is make the best team he can.

Just struck me how opposite Desjardins is from what we got from The Sens last week. Dorion sounded dour and nervous, Rudwonski sounded like a bad spin doctor explaining something for the first time to people he didn’t really understand but knew he had to publicly throw props to the owner for owning.

The Redblacks are already a fully
Mature organization, the Sens are the Ottawa offspring that can’t get its feet under it and stumbles along saying it’s not drunk, it’s the fans who have to change their prospective and tilt their heads and bob them to see how that heir stumbling around aimlessly is actually perfectly normal if you just suspend reason and rationality and completely change the way you look at things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad