The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
Henry Burris Co-hosting with AJ and Mendez talking about Nintendo sports games of their youth. #VCRFootball

Awesome.

When Burris retires they better hire him.

Weren't they advertising last week that Burris would be on TGOR this week? But he's on CTV guess the tv pays better and is a bigger future gig.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Weren't they advertising last week that Burris would be on TGOR this week? But he's on CTV guess the tv pays better and is a bigger future gig.

Burris is a natural with bigger and better things down the road. TGOR would be a great gig if you have aspirations of hosting a game show.

Spex

Feb 2, 2009
lol.

I keep hearing this "they cut Jim Rome out" business.. His full show is played every night. .

Except when the Sens are playing (especially late games) or on Monday nights during the NFL season or some other event that is related to Ottawa

While they didn't technically cut the Jim Rome show; airing the replay at 10pm on nights where there's no Hockey/Football/whatever isn't exactly prime time.

It's like moving a Prime Time TV show to a late-evening timeslot on a Friday or Saturday...it's a sign that the show will be dropped at some point.

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Except when the Sens are playing (especially late games) or on Monday nights during the NFL season or some other event that is related to Ottawa

While they didn't technically cut the Jim Rome show; airing the replay at 10pm on nights where there's no Hockey/Football/whatever isn't exactly prime time.

It's like sticking a TV show in a late-evening timeslot on a Friday or Saturday...it's a sign that the show will be dropped at some point.

Well, the 1200 boys seem to take enough vacations that US stuff gets played on the reg anyway :sarcasm:

Seriously though, DP and Rome get played all the time (and ya you're right, when there is no Sens game; that goes without saying). It's DP at 7 and Rome at 10, 6 hours of US content per evening. If that time slot happens to not fit your listening hours to act as filler while you drive or work, that's on you.

Here is the weekly schedule if you're interested: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/schedule

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

It's like moving a Prime Time TV show to a late-evening timeslot on a Friday or Saturday...it's a sign that the show will be dropped at some point.

There are countless other ways to listen to Jim Rome? Who cares?

I'm all for more local content on the only local sports station this city has, nobody else is going to give that to us.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There are countless other ways to listen to Jim Rome? Who cares?

I'm all for more local content on the only local sports station this city has, nobody else is going to give that to us.
Seriously. During the summer months when sports are kind of meh, I don;t mind the change up with the Dan Patrick show. I used to listen to Rome when I first started in Ottawa but after a few years his show became too much about filler. The smack off if just lame.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Love Burris, really think he's got a future on TSN in a Milt Stegal kind of role.

Hate Dan Patrick with a passion. I don't even really know why, I just do. It's the only time I actually turn off the radio.

InwoodBlueNYC

Sep 23, 2013
NYC
I listen to TSN1200 online via TuneIn here in NYC.
I don't understand why the station switches to FOX Sports? or ESPN? late at night.
Isn't there enough Canadian (or other) sports to talk about? Aren't there people who would want to work the overnight shifts?
If people want USA sports radio they can find it easily online.
Please explain. Thanks. Stay well.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Seriously. During the summer months when sports are kind of meh, I don;t mind the change up with the Dan Patrick show. I used to listen to Rome when I first started in Ottawa but after a few years his show became too much about filler. The smack off if just lame.

Agreed. I never got Jim Rome . . . half his show is dead air and another quarter is smack from people who exist solely to have their 30 seconds of fame on the radio.

Same reason I can't stand the email segements on TGOR, and a lesser extent the other shows. I couldn't give a rat's ass what 4 or 5 regular emailers have to say.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Agreed. I never got Jim Rome . . . half his show is dead air and another quarter is smack from people who exist solely to have their 30 seconds of fame on the radio.

Same reason I can't stand the email segements on TGOR, and a lesser extent the other shows. I couldn't give a rat's ass what 4 or 5 regular emailers have to say.

Couldn't agree with this more. If the emailers were offering some insightful information to discuss or debate, it would be totally different. Most of the time it's some weird inside joke fest that makes absolutely no sense to anyone but the emailer and the hosts. Such garbage.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I don't understand why the station switches to FOX Sports? or ESPN? late at night.
Isn't there enough Canadian (or other) sports to talk about? Aren't there people who would want to work the overnight shifts?

probably to save money and it's probably a defacto thing from TSN to play. Ottawa is not very big like 1 million people and it's one of the major cities in canada.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Damned if I know. I would freaking love a coast-to-coast overnight sports show based in Canada. I am so sick of turning into 1200 at night to hear about stupid college baseball/basketball/football, and other non-hockey sports. If there was a Canadian show out there, at least we'd hear some hockey talk.

As for Jim Rome...just his voice irritates the heck out of me. He's the kind of person you'd 'accidentally on purpose' stick out a foot and trip down the stairs. The arrogance of that guy and his idiot followers.....ugh.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Damned if I know. I would freaking love a coast-to-coast overnight sports show based in Canada. I am so sick of turning into 1200 at night to hear about stupid college baseball/basketball/football, and other non-hockey sports. If there was a Canadian show out there, at least we'd hear some hockey talk.

As for Jim Rome...just his voice irritates the heck out of me. He's the kind of person you'd 'accidentally on purpose' stick out a foot and trip down the stairs. The arrogance of that guy and his idiot followers.....ugh.
TSN is missing the mark on this one. Saturday afternoons on 1310 am are great. It's the one thing sportsnet/fan 590 does really well.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Couldn't agree with this more. If the emailers were offering some insightful information to discuss or debate, it would be totally different. Most of the time it's some weird inside joke fest that makes absolutely no sense to anyone but the emailer and the hosts. Such garbage.

agreed, not a very accessible show. I also don't like his delivery.....so much.....dead time....on the....air.....is.....annoying.....

With that said, I did like someone of his interviews, he seems to be good at having guys relax and chat rather than just give the same soundbite over and over again. However, the interviews were not enough to keep me listening....I don't care about your racehorses or your drones...

as well, if he ever did stuff like this today:
I think he'd be done

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
probably to save money ...

Yeah, surely it's a cost vs ROI thing. Ratings are probably so minimal at night that revenues are going to be very low no matter what you put on... so a locally produced show will never make money.

Agree with those slagging the Rome show; I found it interesting for about a month or two when it first appeared in the Ottawa market -- but after that the schtick quickly became stale.

Perjong

Oct 1, 2013

What, you don't get enough mindless, boring sports talk the first 3.5 hours, you need even more from the stupid listeners? It's a morning show; it's supposed to be informative and light-hearted. For someone who likes watching men play games, you sure sound like you aren't a lot of fun. Heaven forbid should they do something than over analyze a game.

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
What, you don't get enough mindless, boring sports talk the first 3.5 hours, you need even more from the stupid listeners? It's a morning show; it's supposed to be informative and light-hearted. For someone who likes watching men play games, you sure sound like you aren't a lot of fun. Heaven forbid should they do something than over analyze a game.

I don't mind the text\email\twitter segment, the only thing that drives me nuts is they read them from the same people and half aren't even funny. This happens on all the shows, Panda has his favourites and they rarely seem to read some new people.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Great to hear the Evan Solomon guest spot on TGOR. An accomplished journalist who has the investigative skills to get to the undercurrents of the Lebreton bids.
Tremendous insight!
TGOR has soared to new heights!! ;)

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Great to hear the Evan Solomon guest spot on TGOR. An accomplished journalist who has the investigative skills to get to the undercurrents of the Lebreton bids.
Tremendous insight!
Plus he sold Warne and JR some art for the studio. :laugh:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Tremendous insight!

TGOR hasn't soared anywhere in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad