AssetImage
AssetImage
AssetImage
AssetImage

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'd like to take this opportunity, fresh on the first page of this new thread, to remind Ian Mendes (who clearly occasionally lurks here) of his civic responsibility to slap Don Brennan in his larynx the next time the two of them are in the same room together.

I would ask this from Simmer, but I have doubts about his loyalties.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Listened to the morning show after many weeks of abstinence.

They really need to consider changes as the content doesn't come close to justifying the suffering through relentless commercials and silly contests.

The opinions offered on this site are generally more compelling and insightful than anything I hear on there (including McGuire).

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Indeed, but we have the benefit of actually doing research to advance our points, as opposed to talk radio, that basically has to say nonsense to get callers or emailers and so on.

For example, Todd White went on about five to ten minutes on how he played in the league as Iginla was, but it was mostly dead air. White is a 3rd line journeyman centre that had a cup of coffee here and doesn't really add any data to his takes. This is where a guy like Lee Versage is useful. Lee will take the time to make a data-based argument and while he can get persnickety at times, he's much more congent than most people on the radio here.

I'd still love to see a "NHL Canada" thing on one of their shows, where they talk to people from each city and we learn more about other teams. But...given that they already don't talk enough hockey/Sens, that may be too much to hope for.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
lol at playing the Junior (FIN vs. Russia) game. So lazy.

I'd way rather listen to that game than the end of In the Box and the start of the Drive. It's still the gold medal game in a tournament Canada is obsessed with, even if we aren't in it. They are our only sports station and they are rightly playing the game.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Indeed, but we have the benefit of actually doing research to advance our points, as opposed to talk radio, that basically has to say nonsense to get callers or emailers and so on.

For example, Todd White went on about five to ten minutes on how he played in the league as Iginla was, but it was mostly dead air. White is a 3rd line journeyman centre that had a cup of coffee here and doesn't really add any data to his takes. This is where a guy like Lee Versage is useful. Lee will take the time to make a data-based argument and while he can get persnickety at times, he's much more congent than most people on the radio here.

Todd White played almost 700 games in the NHL, under 6 or 7 different head coaches. He made his living playing hockey. I can't believe you'd call this a "cup of coffee".

I don't care how much data-based research Lee Versage or Steve Lloyd do, they will never be able to provide the same insight that White does from his real experience.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Listened to the morning show after many weeks of abstinence.

They really need to consider changes as the content doesn't come close to justifying the suffering through relentless commercials and silly contests.

The opinions offered on this site are generally more compelling and insightful than anything I hear on there (including McGuire).

Complaining about commercials on the radio is like complaining about the axial tilt of the planet. It's just the way things are.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com

I'd still love to see a "NHL Canada" thing on one of their shows, where they talk to people from each city and we learn more about other teams. But...given that they already don't talk enough hockey/Sens, that may be too much to hope for.

White was a pretty decent player in fairness, even notching 73 points with the Thrashers (we had back to back 20 goal seasons in Ottawa). He may not have been an all star, but that doesn't really matter IMO. Some of the best characters were role players, right? I've heard White recount some interesting stories I hadn't heard before (i.e. one where the Atlanta ownership were trying to make Kovy happy so he'd stay there, and signed some other Russians, and how that affected the locker room... Not gonna say that everything he talks about is amazing, but I do appreciate his little behind the scenes stories.

With that said, I totally agree with your last point. I am a lazy guy who rarely looks up other teams players unless I have a reason too (i.e. trade rumours, etc), I get that we're in Ottawa, but to all of sudden hear that Player A with another team is gonna be a great addition, when you (the radio dude/gal) has never talked about said player seems a little limp wristed... I certainly wouldn't want it to all the time, but would like a little more NHL talk...same goes for other leagues. Baseball, CFL....I love the RedBlacks, but I'd be hard pressed to name players on other teams, aside from the All-stars, or former RBs, GGs, ex-NFL...

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
... I've heard White recount some interesting stories I hadn't heard before (i.e. one where the Atlanta ownership were trying to make Kovy happy so he'd stay there, and signed some other Russians, and how that affected the locker room... Not gonna say that everything he talks about is amazing, but I do appreciate his little behind the scenes stories.

Exactly.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Could someone please tell Gord Wilson that when he mutters, "Oh my...", "My goodness", or some equivalent, WE HAVE NO FREAKING IDEA WHAT EVENT HE IS REFERENCING? I've come to terms with the fact that he is a blatant homer - that's to be expected for radio colour guys. I would just prefer that he give us some useful information instead of acting like a fan who won a contest to sit in the broadcast booth.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Todd White played almost 700 games in the NHL, under 6 or 7 different head coaches. He made his living playing hockey. I can't believe you'd call this a "cup of coffee".

I don't care how much data-based research Lee Versage or Steve Lloyd do, they will never be able to provide the same insight that White does from his real experience.

He played how many games with the Senators? Not 15-20 years right? He played in Atlanta, Ottawa, a bunch of other teams. He was a good, useful, non-elite player. His insights can be great, sure. But he needs to be focused. Less so than Simmer, who still may need speech therapy for that giggling of his, but still.

Player experience isn't so relevant and it's largely overstated.
This is what happens during a game.
Player A faces off against player b, a faceoff event is won. At that point, possession is gained and maintained for X seconds. A shot event ensues. Goal? No or yes. I mean, basically what a guy like White does is tell us what happens behind the scenes, which is fine!
But I'd much rather hear more data points. And even if you're not crazy about the data, Versage has an immense breadth of sports knowledge.

The "I played the game" argument is tired beyond belief. "Your" playing the game does not validate or invalidate any opinions. It just means someone paid you money at some point to do that job, which is a credit to your training. I mean, I'll listen to it for a short time, but without actual analysis it is simply narrative creation, which is tainted by association to the market in which you work.

Just as an example, Yost does a podcast and it's quite excellent. He's never played but the information he gives is fantastic and equally as good as anyone on TSN1200.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I like having people with different backgrounds giving their opinions.

I don't want to hear 3 former players, and I also don't want to hear 3 hockey statisticians.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
He played how many games with the Senators? Not 15-20 years right? He played in Atlanta, Ottawa, a bunch of other teams. He was a good, useful, non-elite player. His insights can be great, sure. But he needs to be focused. Less so than Simmer, who still may need speech therapy for that giggling of his, but still.

Player A faces off against player b, a faceoff event is won. At that point, possession is gained and maintained for X seconds. A shot event ensues. Goal? No or yes. I mean, basically what a guy like White does is tell us what happens behind the scenes, which is fine!
But I'd much rather hear more data points. And even if you're not crazy about the data, Versage has an immense breadth of sports knowledge.

The "I played the game" argument is tired beyond belief. "Your" playing the game does not validate or invalidate any opinions. It just means someone paid you money at some point to do that job, which is a credit to your training. I mean, I'll listen to it for a short time, but without actual analysis it is simply narrative creation, which is tainted by association to the market in which you work.

Just as an example, Yost does a podcast and it's quite excellent. He's never played but the information he gives is fantastic and equally as good as anyone on TSN1200.
I got to say I like what White brings to the station. Having a voice who was in the locker room and can break down plays is valuable in understanding his point of view. He's no Gary Galley but he's not dumb either. He's a smart thoughtful guy and I love him. :dainty:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I got to say I like what White brings to the station. Having a voice who was in the locker room and can break down plays is valuable in understanding his point of view. He's no Gary Galley but he's not dumb either. He's a smart thoughtful guy and I love him. :dainty:

Agree here, I like what White brings to the station and lots of time for him. If TSN1200 has issues, it's not with Todd White.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
I also enjoy what Todd White brings to the table. His insight and behind the scenes anecdotes as a former player are very entertaining. Sure beats listening to T-SNORE.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Someone is trying to argue that the likes of Yost brings more to the table than Todd White? Yikes, I don't know what to say but that this board jumped the shark for me. Maybe the bloggers do have it right these days, start with an outrageous premise and fill with fluff to support, seems to be the extent of discussion these days.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Someone is trying to argue that the likes of Yost brings more to the table than Todd White? Yikes, I don't know what to say but that this board jumped the shark for me. Maybe the bloggers do have it right these days, start with an outrageous premise and fill with fluff to support, seems to be the extent of discussion these days.
Yost does an excellent jobs showing statistical facts but it doesn't come close to actually playing the game. It's part of the story just not the whole story.

It's like a chemist breaking down a recipe but he still isn't a chef.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I think if Simmer focused less of his time on Twitter while he is live on the radio and focused more on his on air personality, he would be much more enjoyable to listen to. Versage even called him out for just that last night.

Must be frustrating to try to host a radio show and engage your co-host only to realize that your co-host isn't even listening to what you are talking about because he is too busy trying to create his "brand".

Simmer, you only host a 3 hour show. Twitter will still be there when your show is over.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I like having people with different backgrounds giving their opinions.

I don't want to hear 3 former players, and I also don't want to hear 3 hockey statisticians.

Agreed. There are some things that only players know, or have that certain 'feel' when watching a game, that a pure analyst doesn't. At the same time, the professional analyst can compile, analyze and relate data in a way than most players can't. You need a nice mix of both.

I also really like the idea of talking more general hockey. Other Canadian teams in particular....but not the "leafs suck!" kiddie stuff. Actual, honest talk. There are nearly 700 players in the league now...it's hard to keep up wit all the up-and-coming talent, surprise players, and such around the league. There should always be a priority on the Sens, of course, but there are still 29 other teams out there to talk about.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

We're going to have to agree to disagree.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Wow, Lloyd looks milkman creepy in that one.

Looking at those six photos; can't help thinking: Three of these things are not like the others ... There's a song in there somewhere.

Bonk has a point as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad