Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I almost wonder if there will be a massive market for him now? Even if reinhart and stamkos stay.

There is
Guentzel. Marchy. Tarasenko. Bert. Debrusk. Kane. On the market.

Mitch is the best here. But there are free wallet options.

I guess he would be traded after UFA anyway due to SB. But it’s a winger heavy class

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Our stars have proved nothing. 8 years of them crapping the bed in the playoff and you think they will magically turn it around.
Marners own team mates ripping on him on the bench should tell you all you need to know

Unfortunately it’s the 4 amigos for 1 more year. Serious question here, are you comfortable giving Marner 12 plus for 8 more years?
No

Reactions: Racer88 and Trapper

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marchand said while mic’s up in the regular season he was going after Mitchy, and he was just useless in the playoffs.

Now that Marchand has said the dirty part out loud, does anyone think Marner (Matthews) will ever be able compete in the playoffs?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I almost wonder if there will be a massive market for him now? Even if reinhart and stamkos stay.

There is
Guentzel. Marchy. Tarasenko. Bert. Debrusk. Kane. On the market.

Mitch is the best here. But there are free wallet options.

I guess he would be traded after UFA anyway due to SB. But it’s a winger heavy class
You're getting a much different player in Marner compared to basically all but Kane. And even then Kane is more of a short term solution whereas Marner is a guy you're locking up as a core piece in his prime

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I think we all know the answer
Genuinely - I don't know the answer, which is why the next 12 months will be really fascinating.

Think it's easy to say he values money after the way the previous negotiations were handled, but at this stage of his career have his priorities changed? We know players of this generation care a hell of a lot more about their personal legacy than previous eras.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Have you guys seen the realistic trade options due to Gary Bettmans horribly ran league? How is trading Marner still a thing?

If he doesn't put up points at least he will help limit the opp to 1-2 goals in elimination games so that the rest of the team can win it offensively. You're not going to find that impact with the tier of players you're diving into by trading him. If Leafs were up 3-1 heading into the 3rd from game 5 and onwards you already know we're not blowing that lead the way we played. Marner going head to head with tough QoC is a significant reason for that. Pasta sucks when he has to face Marners line, for example (Yeah yeah OT, I'm talking overall)

But then again half this place thinks the soft ass Canes can beat the Leafs in a playoff Series so not gonna waste my breath trying to convince people otherwise.

But Phillip Danault's cap hit is only 5.5 and he would be tasked with the same job.

Again, I think all 4 are back, unless one of them just can't handle the Toronto pressure.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Marchand said while mic’s up in the regular season he was going after Mitchy, and he was just useless in the playoffs.

Now that Marchand has said the dirty part out loud, does anyone think Marner (Matthews) will ever be able compete in the playoffs?
On Overdrive yesterday, O'Neill and Strudwick talked about the playoffs being an exercise in finding out who has the fortitude to compete at this time of year. You can't hide in the playoffs, and guys figure out very quickly who is comfortable in this environment.

Marchand chirping Marner feels like a guy who has a perfect gauge on Marner's appetite for this sort of competition & battle.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

According to David Pagnotta of the Fourth Period, the Nashville Predators are actively investigating the possibility of acquiring Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mitch Marner. Pagnotta believes the Predators have been in communication with general manager Brad Treliving about a possible trade involving Marner, and you have to admit that the return is quite enticing. That’s because Nashville could seriously consider swapping star goalie Juuse Saros as the centerpiece of a package return to the Maple Leafs.

Pagnotta isn’t the only one suggesting such a move. Kevin McGran of the Toronto Star also wonders if a deal could be done with these two massive pieces in play.

Chatter has pointed to Saros’ desire to move on from Nashville and a move to a competitive club could be what he’s looking. GM Barry Trotz would have to be careful and what he needs to offer to acquire Marner in this potential blockbuster trade:

“The Leafs would want more in return than just Saros. Maybe centre Colton Sissons or defenceman Dante Fabbro would need to be included. The Predators also have nine picks in the first five rounds this year, and five in the first three next year if Treliving is looking for a way to restock the prospects pool.”
Kevin McGran

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1715953687829.png

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=161740

What will it take to UFA sign him ?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Again, I think all 4 are back, unless one of them just can't handle the Toronto pressure.

Elliotte Friedman implies Toronto's “Core 4” is breaking up​

Are we seeing the beginning of the end in Toronto?

"If you are Marner or Marner's representatives you have to recognize the possibility that by simply saying they are not going to do certain things contract-wise, whether it's the number or the structure or whatever you want to make it that you're going to have to consider going elsewhere. I think right now we are in the unwinding phase, and I would expect in the next week or two that some of these conversations are going to take place.

There are teams out there that are going to start asking Toronto, 'Okay, if Marner is available, what are we looking at here?' As I've said before, going back to last summer with Nylander, teams know that Toronto is looking for the best defenseman that they can possibly get. So who's out there via trade and what are some of these teams willing to do. That's what I think the next month before the draft is going to be all about."

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
On Overdrive yesterday, O'Neill and Strudwick talked about the playoffs being an exercise in finding out who has the fortitude to compete at this time of year. You can't hide in the playoffs, and guys figure out very quickly who is comfortable in this environment.

Marchand chirping Marner feels like a guy who has a perfect gauge on Marner's appetite for this sort of competition & battle.
Yup. It's hard to understand why some people still seem to think that bringing back Marner would be a good thing. Like I'm just at a complete loss for words.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yup. It's hard to understand why some people still seem to think that bringing back Marner would be a good thing. Like I'm just at a complete loss for words.
Let’s hope if he does waive, he at least gives us a few teams (Nashville, Vegas, Utah, whatever) so we can at least get some kind of bid package instead of 1 team saying this or nothing.

Reactions: myleafs

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Let’s hope if he does waive, he at least gives us a few teams (Nashville, Vegas, Utah, whatever) so we can at least get some kind of bid package instead of 1 team saying this or nothing.
If Marner has moved past the idea of returning next year, I suspect his camp won't be too choosy on destinations. They will want to create a market to drum up the next contract - if not for greed, at least to save face with an increase.

They will need to allow for the team's that are most interested in him, and probably would want more than one bidding.

Could be very helpful to the Leafs securing a proper return.

Reactions: Trapper

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
View attachment 872230
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=161740

What will it take to UFA sign him ?
I’d want more than Saros coming back, like who is your top rated D prospect?
Chances are Marner maintains his regular season output for the most part, goalies can crap the bed much faster.
I’m not completely sold on Saros. I don’t want Jonathan Bernier part 2.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I’d want more than Saros coming back, like who is your top rated D prospect?
Chances are Marner maintains his regular season output for the most part, goalies can crap the bed much faster.
I’m not completely sold on Saros. I don’t want Jonathan Bernier part 2.

Moldendyk I believe is their top D prospect. Drafted last year 24th overall.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I’m willing to take just about anything just to get Marner off this team. Not a huge fan of having to pay big money to a goalie though. If it takes $8mil/year to keep Saros, I would rather get other pieces/picks
Saros has just 1 year left at 5M. That is tricky to navigate. I'd rather that though than have him long term

Reactions: egd27

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
every reasonable retool involves moving on from Marner.

he has to go.

for the team AND HIMSELF.

can you imagine the shitshow of his postgames with him shitting the bed not wanting to play for a team that isn't interested in him ?

Save yourself Mitch. Your agent is garbage.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad