The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spex

Feb 2, 2009
So listened to TGOR for the first time in months this morning and caught them smack dab in the middle of calling the John Scott All-Star voting thing a form of bullying. Ok, I said, I can see their point.

Then Steve goes on to say that if Scott plays, he should get on the ice, grab someone and just beat the crap out of them. (I’m paraphrasing, but it was between like 7:10 and 7:30am if anyone wants to check)

So voting someone into the All-Star game as a joke = bullying, but wanting to see that same guy fight someone is ok?

Sent them an email, but they didn’t read it during the time I was listening.

At least they’re consistent…their social commentary is just as bad as their sports commentary.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
So listened to TGOR for the first time in months this morning and caught them smack dab in the middle of calling the John Scott All-Star voting thing a form of bullying. Ok, I said, I can see their point.

Then Steve goes on to say that if Scott plays, he should get on the ice, grab someone and just beat the crap out of them. (I’m paraphrasing, but it was between like 7:10 and 7:30am if anyone wants to check)

So voting someone into the All-Star game as a joke = bullying, but wanting to see that same guy fight someone is ok?

Sent them an email, but they didn’t read it during the time I was listening.

At least they’re consistent…their social commentary is just as bad as their sports commentary.

Im sure that Warne was sincerely hoping that John Scott would beat the hell out of someone at the all star game.

Sounds super serial.

Although c0ome to think of it, that would be the first interesting thing to happen at an all star game in like . . . ever. Ok, add me to the I hope John Scott beats the hell out of someone at the All Star game crowd.

Spex

Feb 2, 2009
Agreed, it would be interesting and I for sure would not look away.

It's just that Steve contradicted himself given that he was talking about bullying a few seconds earlier. Can't really have it both ways

And who knows, he sounded pretty serious. He even revisited it with a caller a few minutes later (don't remember if it was a random caller or the 61 second shoot-out contestant) and they were even throwing around names like Gallagher, Subban, etc.. because as Ottawa fans, I guess we want to see Habs players get jacked at the ASG? :dunno:

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
He played how many games with the Senators? Not 15-20 years right? He played in Atlanta, Ottawa, a bunch of other teams. He was a good, useful, non-elite player. His insights can be great, sure. But he needs to be focused. Less so than Simmer, who still may need speech therapy for that giggling of his, but still.

Player experience isn't so relevant and it's largely overstated.
This is what happens during a game.
Player A faces off against player b, a faceoff event is won. At that point, possession is gained and maintained for X seconds. A shot event ensues. Goal? No or yes. I mean, basically what a guy like White does is tell us what happens behind the scenes, which is fine!
But I'd much rather hear more data points. And even if you're not crazy about the data, Versage has an immense breadth of sports knowledge.

The "I played the game" argument is tired beyond belief. "Your" playing the game does not validate or invalidate any opinions. It just means someone paid you money at some point to do that job, which is a credit to your training. I mean, I'll listen to it for a short time, but without actual analysis it is simply narrative creation, which is tainted by association to the market in which you work.

Just as an example, Yost does a podcast and it's quite excellent. He's never played but the information he gives is fantastic and equally as good as anyone on TSN1200.

well, when to school I generally preferred to be by people that practiced in their field as opposed to straight academics.

As for Yost, not a fan. Didn't like him on hockeybuzz, and that's continued on tsn. To be honest it has to do with his personality as much as it does his writing. I read dry, lifeless stuff all day, I'd much rather read Senschirp or 6thSens (to name a few), then read more dry, lifeless words. Analytics do have a place in the game, but I think they are less than perfect. I find things to be much more accurate for baseball. Maybe I am missing the boat on things, but I think it's just evolving and will continue to be tuned until more accurate.

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
I think if Simmer focused less of his time on Twitter while he is live on the radio and focused more on his on air personality, he would be much more enjoyable to listen to. Versage even called him out for just that last night.

Must be frustrating to try to host a radio show and engage your co-host only to realize that your co-host isn't even listening to what you are talking about because he is too busy trying to create his "brand".

Simmer, you only host a 3 hour show. Twitter will still be there when your show is over.

I don't think it's just twitter he's on he's probably on many other social media sites as well as just texting during the show. It would be annoying for whoever he works with.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Its quite sad that now I listen to more of TSN 1050 and TSN 690 for my hockey talk. The quality of the content is so much better than the crap were stuck with. Plus the quality of insiders that they get on a daily basis like Bobby Mac, Lebrun, Dreger, Ferraro etc while we get the Sens PR piece Gord Wilson. I sometimes go back to check out TSN 1200 and they are always in the middle of the dumbest conversations that are not related to hockey or Sens and sometimes not even sport. It just seems so bush league compared to the rest of the Canadian cities.

The only decent talent on there is Mendes and he's doing something at least interesting with Advanced Charts.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm glad Milo is back in the lineup, now Brennan can shut his little yap about how he doesn't understand why some bone breaks take longer to come back from than others.

I often think he tries to play idiot.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm glad Milo is back in the lineup, now Brennan can shut his little yap about how he doesn't understand why some bone breaks take longer to come back from than others.

I often think he tries to play idiot.

Nah. Being an idiot definitely comes natural to Brennan.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Anyone know why Brad Smyth is now a constant fixture on the pre-game shows?

I have only heard him once, a few weeks ago, and he was not very good at all.

Thoughts?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Anyone know why Brad Smyth is now a constant fixture on the pre-game shows?

I have only heard him once, a few weeks ago, and he was not very good at all.

Thoughts?

Matt Bradley (who wasn't all that insightful in his own right, way too diplomatic) became a scout with the Caps, so there was an open space they've been looking to fill. I guess they graded Smyth passable, so he's on board now. Not great, but better than Murray Wilson.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Matt Bradley (who wasn't all that insightful in his own right, way too diplomatic) became a scout with the Caps, so there was an open space they've been looking to fill. I guess they graded Smyth passable, so he's on board now. Not great, but better than Murray Wilson.

Good info. Matt Bradley was horrible, Smyth didn't seem much better, but I did only listen to him once, so its a small sample size. Not sure how much credibility Smyth has, since I am sure many of the listeners probably had to Google him to find out exactly who he is. I knew he played for the Sens at some point, but really???

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Seems like whenever Simmer, or Mendez are on the post game show it's over real fast. Last night AJ went for ever. AJ and Lee are the Baitman and Robin of post games. :laugh:

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
Seems like whenever Simmer, or Mendez are on the post game show it's over real fast. Last night AJ went for ever. AJ and Lee are the Baitman and Robin of post games. :laugh:

I think that's why Ian doesn't do many post game shows, he doesn't seem to engage the callers as much AJ and Lee does.

Glad to see TSN finally is going to have Burris on. He should be interesting to see if JR can keep the show on the rails with Burris and Simmer. One can only guess what type of subjects Simmer will try to draw Burris into.

North Shop Foreman

Jan 12, 2016
Why the hell should we know the favorite teams of every host on the radio station? Isn't it one of the first rules in sports media that you are impartial; you have no favorite team?

Todd White is the worst! Aside from the fact that his communication skills are grade school level at best, and he never really has any background argument to support his senseless statements, I'd guess over half of what he brings in a 4 hour show is typical inept Patriot bandwagoning.

I'm sure he will enjoy a long career at the same radio station who eliminated shows like Jim Rome because "listeners prefer more local programming" aka 12 hours of Sens talk and what's-our-favorite-team-doing-today?, beginning to end.

Too bad there wasn't an alternative for sports fans in this city.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Why the hell should we know the favorite teams of every host on the radio station? Isn't it one of the first rules in sports media that you are impartial; you have no favorite team?

Todd White is the worst! Aside from the fact that his communication skills are grade school level at best, and he never really has any background argument to support his senseless statements, I'd guess over half of what he brings in a 4 hour show is typical inept Patriot bandwagoning.

I'm sure he will enjoy a long career at the same radio station who eliminated shows like Jim Rome because "listeners prefer more local programming" aka 12 hours of Sens talk and what's-our-favorite-team-doing-today?, beginning to end.

Did u make an account because Todd White stole your girlfriend back in the day?

My respect for him went way up now that i know he's a playboy. Who woulda thought????

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Did u make an account because Todd White stole your girlfriend back in the day?

My respect for him went way up now that i know he's a playboy. Who woulda thought????

lol.

I keep hearing this "they cut Jim Rome out" business.. His full show is played every night. And Dan Patrick is played during the day in the summer months, when they don't do the 12 hours of local programming thing (which I think is great during hockey season. I don't want to hear 3 hours of college football talk from 12-3).

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Let me guess, your next post is going to be "bring back Jungle". :laugh:

North Shop Foreman

Jan 12, 2016
I made an account because corresponding with the radio station becomes a defense of their guy instead of accepting criticism. Therefore, why not go to where all the other pooch-pounders go to complain about things that only really bother them. [mod]

Todd White is a terrible broadcaster, I don't know him personally, that's just an opinion about his professional performance. Furthermore, the fact that the hosts regularly discuss their favorite teams as part of their show is the furthest thing from entertainment in my opinion.

I'm a big Sens fan and I listen to the station for 10 hours a day at work. How much time can you dedicate to the line rushes in practice? Or a bad call by the refs last night? I am a sports fan, not just a Sens fan. I appreciate the break in the middle of the day and diversity that Jim Rome provided. Dan Patrick is unlistenable to me, as a lot of American broadcasters are.

But I'd prefer to listen to sports news that we would never hear otherwise and great interviews on Jim Rome for 3 hours, than everything Todd White doesn't know about for 4 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Henry Burris Co-hosting with AJ and Mendez talking about Nintendo sports games of their youth. #VCRFootball

Awesome.

When Burris retires they better hire him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad