The Official Horrible Trade Proposals Thread Part 4: Shots, Shots, Shots, Shots, Shots EVERYBODY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
His past shouldn’t matter. A team with Pesce and Slavin should know that.

It was obvious from both Slavin and Pesce's first seasons on the ice that they were Super Good, especially for being 4th and 3rd round picks respectively. It's not yet clear to me that Kapanen is Super Good.

Anyways, just thought the idea would be enticing. He may not be an ideal 1st liner but he’s a better option than a Tofolli type of reclamation project. I don’t think a player like Kap is available unless the team is unbalanced like Toronto so I’m not sure there are too many other options.

That's my point. I'm not interested in any of those options. I'm not interesting in trading talent for talent, because you can't trade for top line talent unless you find a sucker -- and frankly, we've been the sucker more often than not lately.

I'd rather that we just suck for a while and build a pipeline, and let Charlotte compete for a Calder or two. Make those kids hungry winners. I've seen a decade of this shit. I'm ready for a real rebuild. I'm ready to Trust the Process.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
It was obvious from both Slavin and Pesce's first seasons on the ice that they were Super Good, especially for being 4th and 3rd round picks respectively. It's not yet clear to me that Kapanen is Super Good.

That's my point. I'm not interested in any of those options. I'm not interesting in trading talent for talent, because you can't trade for top line talent unless you find a sucker -- and frankly, we've been the sucker more often than not lately.

I'd rather that we just suck for a while and build a pipeline, and let Charlotte compete for a Calder or two. Make those kids hungry winners. I've seen a decade of this ****. I'm ready for a real rebuild. I'm ready to Trust the Process.

That’s fair. One issue I see though is that Carolina is too good right now to be in contention for a Hughes/Kakko type. I’m not sure that a few 13-15 overall type picks is a competitive rebuild unless you get lucky and strike gold like Barzal or Pastrnak.

Trading a Faulk/Hamilton/Pesce type for a quantity package gives you at least one A prospect/top 6 roster player under 25, plus a likely 1st and another piece. More importantly, it’s just enough to slide you down the standings for a year or two.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
That’s fair. One issue I see though is that Carolina is too good right now to be in contention for a Hughes/Kakko type. I’m not sure that a few 13-15 overall type picks is a competitive rebuild unless you get lucky and strike gold like Barzal or Pastrnak.

If we stockpile 3 firsts and 3 seconds for a couple of years, the likelihood of striking gold goes way up.

Trading a Faulk/Hamilton/Pesce type for a quantity package gives you at least one A prospect/top 6 roster player under 25, plus a likely 1st and another piece. More importantly, it’s just enough to slide you down the standings for a year or two.

I agree that trading a Faulk/Hamilton/Pesce for a quantity package may be good, but I'd rather see it in picks than in players at this point. If Toronto were willing to trade Kap+1st+something for Pesce, I'd consider it. I just don't think they will.

I mean, how are the Leafs built? A lot of homegrown kids, and when the time was right, one stud free agent. Except that you're Toronto, which makes it way easier to get that stud free agent.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
They potentially have the forwards needed in the organization. Be patient. Svechnikov is 18. Necas is 19.

The Skinner trade was a mistake. However, it's something that they should not overreact to. Doing something rash isn't going to result in a good outcome. Neither forcing a trade for a forward nor tearing it down is the right idea.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
They potentially have the forwards needed in the organization. Be patient. Svechnikov is 18. Necas is 19.

The Skinner trade was a mistake. However, it's something that they should not overreact to. Doing something rash isn't going to result in a good outcome. Neither forcing a trade for a forward nor tearing it down is the right idea.

When does the patience run out, though?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
When does the patience run out, though?

Seeing more NHL talent drain from the roster in exchange for futures doesn't necessitate even more patience?

This organization is in a better position as a whole than its been in for a while. The future core of a strong defensive team with enough offense (Aho, Teravainen, Svechnikov and Necas) to complement it is there. I'm not engaging in blind optimism here. 11 of the 22 forwards selected in the Top 2 from 2000-2014 hit 78 points in a season by D+4. Necas is a legit, skilled center prospect.

If and hopefully when they pan out, the shift from the fringes to talk about a cup window will be shockingly quick.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I don't watch or follow Toronto outside of the Nylander saga and their upcoming cap crunch (mostly because I think it's funny and I hate a lot of their fans on here) but based on our last game against them I would much rather target Kapanen than Nylander.

It seems like that trade thread is coming around some with several Leafs posters stating it would be Kap + for Pesce; who knows what the plus would be but if we could get Kap + 1st I would say do it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It’s possible, but maybe his mean was always a little deflated by shooting luck.

Remember he’s put up these totals while playing very little PP time and spendings much of the season on an ice cold 3rd line.

Put him on a PP1 unit with Aho and Svechnikov and I bet there would be some fireworks.

Yes, until this season, Kapanen has only seen 4th line time with Plekanec and Boyle as his centre and Martin on the LW.

This season is the first time he’s actually had a chance in the top 9 and on the powerplay.

Just wanted to provide that context.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’m fine with acquiring a player like Kapanen too, as a complimentary piece, not the piece to solve our scoring woes. TOR fans expecting Pesce need a cup of wake the f*** up.

For Kadri, yeah, I’d move Pesce. For Kapanen, Faulk is the centerpiece, but I’d want more from the TOR side. That not work for boy wonder Dubas? f*** off then.

It’s not like other teams don’t need quality RD as well. It’s obvious we’re not going anywhere this season. So if there are no hockey deals out there, wait til the deadline, unload Faulk and/or Hamilton then for a crapload of assets and welcome savior Fox.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Stop entertaining Kapanen. Toronto fans are literally asking for Slavin or Hamilton. Kapanen is not a piece that any team in the NHL should overpay for. Toronto desperately needs cheap wingers so they aren’t trading him for a bargain.

Kapanen is on a 53 point pace playing with Matthews and Tavares. He’s a 40 point speedy winger in Carolina who will suffer from the same issue as all Carolina wingers which is a lack of Centers.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If Toronto would give us Kap and a 1st, I'd be happy to move on from Hamilton.

If the Canes want to move Hamilton then there are 29 other teams to deal with.

The Canes can’t move a piece that significant without getting at least a potential top-6 C in the deal. I’d rather move Hamilton for Carter or RNH than Kapanen + 1st if you are looking at that sell-low value range.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
If the Canes want to move Hamilton then there are 29 other teams to deal with.

The Canes can’t move a piece that significant without getting at least a potential top-6 C in the deal. I’d rather move Hamilton for Carter or RNH than Kapanen + 1st if you are looking at that sell-low value range.

RNH I could get on board with. I'm not a big fan of trading for aging players even if they are an improvement now. Our future is going to be built around Aho (21), Necas (19), and Svech (18). It will take more patience that many of the fanbase may not be able to stomach but I would much rather add young, upcoming players to give us a long window of contending.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If we are trading Pesce or Slavin we must be getting a guaranteed 1st liner who will be leading the team in scoring season after season, and has proven to make everyone on the ice better when he's in. Elite trading chips deserve to bring back elite talent.

Kapanen isn't that guy. I'd trade Faulk or Hamilton, a prospect, and picks for him. If they demand Slavin or Pesce, tell them to pound sand and hang up the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad