The Office of Strategic Planning - Tank Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Coyotes and Flames win, which means we’re back to 7 points out of a playoff spot. Ducks and Sharks lose though, so they don’t gain ground. Still, 5 and 6 points ahead of those two, and 7 points behind the wildcard spot is a fine place to be for now.

Reactions: physicaIgraffiti

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Tomorrow, Nashville plays Carolina and Winnipeg plays Los Angeles. Those will be good opportunities to keep some distance between us and the playoffs. Chicago doesn’t play until Wednesday, like us.

Buffalo plays Ottawa tomorrow and Montreal plays Detroit, so hopefully Buffalo and Montreal can pad their cushion. New York is the team Chicago plays Wednesday, so a Hawks OT win Wednesday would be big.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

physicaIgraffiti

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2012
I just don't see the sharks catching us. But the ducks have looked decent recently and actually might have a chance. Any points tonight would've been great obviously, but Calgary getting a win is helpful too.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Top 10 should land the Wild a good prospect. Dont f*** around and reach for another Euro blueliner.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, I've got;
Laf
Byf
Stutzle
Rossi
Drydale
Holtz
Raymond
Perfetti
Lundell

as the top 9. I'd be ok with all of them except Drydale, but say he drops to us at 9 you take him, or trade spots with someone. At #10...at this point, hard to say, but a couple more months will add clarity. Last year you'd be thinking Askarov...not so much now.

Anyway, would prefer to be top 9, but there is a lot of competition out there- it's hard to do what Detroit is doing.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
After seeing the Toffoli and Coleman trades, I’m really curious what kind of offers are out there for some of our guys. Sell everyone that isn’t tied down. Brodin, Staal, Foligno, Pateryn, Greenway/Donato, maybe even Hartman.

Reactions: Mickey the mouse

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
On a semi-related note, LA's prospect pool now features Turcotte-Vilardi-Madden-Kupari as centers. Must be nice to have that kind of prospect depth at the most important position in the game.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Well, I've got;
Laf
Byf
Stutzle
Rossi
Drydale
Holtz
Raymond
Perfetti
Lundell

as the top 9. I'd be ok with all of them except Drydale, but say he drops to us at 9 you take him, or trade spots with someone. At #10...at this point, hard to say, but a couple more months will add clarity. Last year you'd be thinking Askarov...not so much now.

Anyway, would prefer to be top 9, but there is a lot of competition out there- it's hard to do what Detroit is doing.
And you can guarantee that at least ONE of those guys in the top 9-if not two- fall to 10-12. We see it in every draft unless I'm nutso and way off the mark.

Now, whether that draft day faller every becomes anything in the NHL is another matter for research.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
After seeing the Toffoli and Coleman trades, I’m really curious what kind of offers are out there for some of our guys. Sell everyone that isn’t tied down. Brodin, Staal, Foligno, Pateryn, Greenway/Donato, maybe even Hartman.
Agreed.

You have to think that as the trade deadline ticks every closer (now 6 days from now) the offers and desperation for a Brodin or Dumba has to go up. As each trade passes, GM's in PO positions or pushes will start to feel that pressure to make something happen, add something to make their team better. And the offers for our guys will get sweeter.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
So many of last years lottery picks are already considered top prospects in the league. Is this draft thought to be as strong? Need Boldy to step up. Figures that the Wild got a guy who has struggled as guys drafted around him are soaring.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
On a semi-related note, LA's prospect pool now features Turcotte-Vilardi-Madden-Kupari as centers. Must be nice to have that kind of prospect depth at the most important position in the game.
You have to draft centers before you can have them.

People panned the JEE pick but given enough time he may develop into a workhorse 2nd line center like Koivu (even if he was pushed up to 1st line on the Wild).

Reactions: 57special

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
We should. Have a surplus of guys who are not in the long term future of the Wild.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
So many of last years lottery picks are already considered top prospects in the league. Is this draft thought to be as strong? Need Boldy to step up. Figures that the Wild got a guy who has struggled as guys drafted around him are soaring.

Boldy HAS been stepping up since they moved him from center to his natural position of LW. 14 pts in his last 13 games.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Need Boldy to step up. Figures that the Wild got a guy who has struggled as guys drafted around him are soaring.
Boldy was played out of position at center... struggled. Moved back to his natural wing position, now has 14 points in 13 games. He's still the dominant wing we drafted. He has stepped up.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Buffalo and Montreal finish below us so we're 10th worst, then get jumped by someone in the lottery. I wouldn't say its likely but it's definitely possible.

Right now there is two types of teams outside looking in:

Detroit, Los Angeles, Ottawa and New Jersey have no chance of making it to the playoffs (and two of them are already moving players).

And then you have Anaheim, San Jose, Chicago, Montreal, Buffalo, NY Rangers, Winnipeg, Nashville all in the next tier, where there is a strong chance they won't make the playoffs and are looking to sell for next season. Winnipeg and Nashville are on the cusp, as they are only three points back (Minnesota is pretty much out looking in).

As it stands, there is a pretty good chance New York, Buffalo and Montreal are done for the season and will try again next season.

So, it's a race to the bottom now and there is a much bigger degree of separation in the East than the West already.

I could see the standings being:

Detroit
Los Angeles
Ottawa
New Jersey
Anaheim
Ottawa (San Jose)
Minnesota
Chicago
Montreal
Buffalo
New York Rangers