The Office of Strategic Planning - Tank Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's that time of year. The trade deadline approaches and the Wild haven't exactly positioned themselves to make a run for it this year. Word is that Guerin is at least thinking about selling if not necessarily committed to it. Dreams of high draft picks begin to dance through the minds of Wild fans...

Please keep the tank talk in this thread: watching the standings, doing the lottery math, and lamenting those icky, short sighted wins.

It's a valid topic and up for discussion, but as the season wears on it tends to seep into every thread and derail things. There's some wiggle room for this in trade and prospect discussion threads, but GDTs in particular are for discussing the game at hand and the play of the team.

Off-topic tank talk that's found outside of this thread will likely be moved here or deleted.

Have at it.

Reactions: TaLoN and Wild11MN

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I do think this thread was a good Idea. Just for clarification, is tank talk allowed in the general discussion to moderate extent. That meaning, if we're talking about where the team is going to end up, etc. or should it stay exclusively in this thread?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I do think this thread was a good Idea. Just for clarification, is tank talk allowed in the general discussion to moderate extent. That meaning, if we're talking about where the team is going to end up, etc. or should it stay exclusively in this thread?
In the trade and prospect threads, it can be a natural thing to discuss to some extent. Hard to talk about selling players in trade without it.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am also worried that instead of tanking, we will just end up armored personnel carrier'ing. Big diff.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Where there's a Dubnyk, there's a way
It's possible, and It would put us at the 50 points in 50 games threshold we've been working towards. I will be interested to see if a loss there could trigger Guerin to makes some moves soon.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yes, the Wings will be a big challenge for us. Losing to them... that takes a complete dedication to losing. I don't know if we're up to it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's possible, and It would put us at the 50 points in 50 games threshold we've been working towards. I will be interested to see if a loss there could trigger Guerin to makes some moves soon.

I have very little faith in Guerin making moves before the deadline. What I'm hoping is that we don't go on some streak like the two games we just had against Tampa and Dallas that fools Guerin into thinking he shouldn't be selling high on Zucker and Brodin.

A smart plans for further than just 4 months ahead.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Some-interesting Pro-Tanking ideas here:
players that could be moved, or are likely to be talked about
-Brodin
-Zucker
-Dumba

what teams would make sense for those given players?

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I have very little faith in Guerin making moves before the deadline. What I'm hoping is that we don't go on some streak like the two games we just had against Tampa and Dallas that fools Guerin into thinking he shouldn't be selling high on Zucker and Brodin.

A smart plans for further than just 4 months ahead.
I'm not super worried about it. I think Guerin know's that this team isn't doing anything this year. The question that arises is if he'll wait to make moves until the draft. He'll want to put his stamp on the team eventually, but doing it at the deadline would improve the tank

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm not super worried about it. I think Guerin know's that this team isn't doing anything this year. The question that arises is if he'll wait to make moves until the draft. He'll want to put his stamp on the team eventually, but doing it at the deadline would improve the tank

Would also allow us to get better value, when you have so many teams shopping for players like Brodin and Zucker. In the offseason you'll have less suitors. At least for Brodin, anyway.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Toronto's 1st has to be interesting. If we move Brodin to Carolina, I think that needs to be our main focus. Toronto is currently not in a playoff spot, and although I think they make their way in, if the pick is 17th to 18th, that can become a nice player. I think one of Zary, Bourque, Mercer, or Gunler will be available in that range.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Toronto's 1st has to be interesting. If we move Brodin to Carolina, I think that needs to be our main focus. Toronto is currently not in a playoff spot, and although I think they make their way in, if the pick is 17th to 18th, that can become a nice player. I think one of Zary, Bourque, Mercer, or Gunler will be available in that range.

Would love to do Brodin for Toronto's 1st+

I do think we should hang on to Dumba until the offseason if/when a top 6 center becomes available.

Move Zucker for best offer, don't really need him going forward.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Would love to do Brodin for Toronto's 1st+

I do think we should hang on to Dumba until the offseason if/when a top 6 center becomes available.

Move Zucker for best offer, don't really need him going forward.
I think a team like Buffalo would be a good fit for Zucker. They need help at the forward position and want to make the playoffs this year. I wonder if they wouldn't be OK moving their first. I think that value would be a little in our favor, but Zucker is worth a mid-1st and they're slated to pick 10-12ish. Dumba for Monahan or Domi in the summer would be my preferred move.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think a team like Buffalo would be a good fit for Zucker. They need help at the forward position and want to make the playoffs this year. I wonder if they wouldn't be OK moving their first. I think that value would be a little in our favor, but Zucker is worth a mid-1st and they're slated to pick 10-12ish. Dumba for Monahan or Domi in the summer would be my preferred move.

I would be okay with adding to Zucker to get their 1st. Not much, mind you, but something we won't miss? Sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad