OT: The Off-Topic Thread XX: La fiesta española

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Me too, and if I could walk to work I'd be fine. Problem is my dumb ass lives a 25 minute commute (drive) from work on a good day. Throw in weather, morons without winter tires, and the complete lack of winter driver training/testing in our province means on snow days, I don't even bother getting in my car until after 9:00 AM and just work from home until then.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Personally I don’t think Hox loving snow has anything to do with the weather...

giphy.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ugh, rant:

As mentioned earlier, I am in the process of buying a house. Super stressful as hell already and I'm also busy as frack at work and other things. First financing application with a major bank, so smooth, not a hitch and has already submitted a finalized offer to me in far less time than the second offering. I was told I could get me a better deal through a brokerage and I did which I started up a day after the first application. The second deal just needs more documentation which looked kinda weird and annoying, but OK fine, whatever, a grand in cash back incentive and time expected, probably worth it. It was all smooth with the brokerage with the first guy until he brought in another individual to help collecting the documentation... this second guy I swear does the bare minimum and doesn't use logic and he claims the mortgagor is rejecting the info, but I think he's just a jackass. It's literally collecting documentation and relaying it to the mortgagor.

What one major bank accepted with no question this guy claims the other mortgage offer-or doesn't accept because it doesn't spell everything else in black and white on the same page? Dude, you have additional information you can combine the documentation together and it works you friggen moron. Certain requirements I have submitted 3-4 times because this second jackass can't be damned to be clear with the requirements of the information before requesting it. Not to mention the information is so ridiculously in depth, I have serious questions about why they even need that information when the thing they're trying to prove is already on other documentation I submitted (and already accepted by another major bank lender)?

Dude obviously isn't spending the time to explain to the mortgagor the information is acceptable for what they're requesting, because his explanations are stupid as hell.
ie: I can't find your condo on a random condo document website to find proof of condo fees and property address, how do I know the condo corp is the same as the rental property address? How do I know your property exists? ~ Uhh, how about the condo fee schedule I submitted, the circled condo fee on the bank statement I submitted matching the condo fee schedule, the property tax statement I submitted AND the full current year operating budget report WITH letter from condo management company? What the hell do you mean none of that information combined meets the requirements?

ie: OMG, this name isn't you. Is this a fake document? ~ It's the property manager enacting on my behalf I told you about you imbecile.

(Responses obviously slightly embellished with my thoughts)

It's the same fracking conditional conditional mortgage requirement on the second application as the other bank and they're demanding 3-4x more information that is probably only a few signatures short of buying the damn place from me. This second dude also has issues with the basic use of email because "he can't find the attachment" even though everyone else cc'd in the email can see and dl the images (and I know the other broker can see the images because I've sent info to him like that before) and I've had to open the email, download the pics and resend the jpeg in a zip form multiple times just so that he can access it.

After chatting with a buddy who also did more than one application for a mortgage and blew up a "better deal of a few thousand dollars in cash back" with a broker due to similar stupidity, I'm considering that my next email will be to do the same.

I understand that they have their reasons for requesting information, but IMO they're being straight up stupid if one major bank lender accepted and has already approved it, but they do not. A thousand bucks is a solid chunk of change and probably worth this extra effort, but this week is insanely busy for me as busy season and work simultaneously started last week. I don't have time to redo acquiring stuff for them 2-4 times because this dumb scarecrow don't have no brain. What I expected to take 3-5 hours additional for documentation request etc. has already taken like 15 hours this week and is still ticking away. This second application easily is 3x the time required to fulfill and isn't even done yet. One more dumb request and I'm going to be more than happy to take my business elsewhere. What's even more infuriating is that the broker set up the mortgage with another major bank that I actually bank at. There's no damn way the requirements should be so much more stringent and idiotic than the other major bank. I'm so angry at the situation right now, I am seriously considering taking all of my banking and investments to another bank if they ask for one more stupid ass question/document to prove something that I feel like I've already proven 2-3x over this week.

*Sound of steam coming out of Fig's ears*

Sorry for the wall of text. I need to spare the moment to vent on HF so I don't murder an innocent bystander.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Make 1000% sure you know what you're getting into with a mortgage broker. That $1000 cash back might not be worth it in the long run.

As an example, you may not be able to pay additional against the mortgage principle without a penalty. (recorded as a "transaction fee")

Yep. I read the mortgage agreement and compared it to the other agreement. The first mortgage provider (referred by my previous broker who retired) was awesome and always called to clarify and was always happy to discuss and explain things to me, so I know what's going on for the second application. The early payback conditions on the second one are reasonable and comparable to the other bank (slightly restrictive on early payback methods/combinations, but allows for a higher percentage of early payback each year). I also have a business background, so I've run into this stuff before, just perhaps I've never read it as in depth as now.

Fricken incentive, I'm so deep already, I might as well go all the way to make the BS worth it. I'll tell other friends to forget taking a grand or two in incentive, I'll recommend the first mortgagor any day and I'm planning on sending her a thank you for her hard work. Good service deserves recognition. The first broker is also great. I'd consider recommending him specifically, but the second guy helping out... I'm really considering filing a complaint against him.

So I got another stupid response back from the second guy, and boy was I livid, so I replied in not the nicest of tones. One of the weird conditions that the second application requested was for us to prove we had paid off our credit cards in full and to submit proof (no, not just last statement). This is annoying because it takes several business days for payment to clear and charges hit the card way faster than payment, but whatever, for a cash incentive, I'll play ball.

Most statements are negative numbers (overpay just in case), but dumb dude singles out one random statement which shows a negative number <$100. Dude emails me all riled up it's not $0 and there's a balance owing but he will see if the bank will accept it like he's doing me a favor. I emailed back in ALL CAPS that the amount was an over payment (I anticipated over payment by a few hundred would be necessary because we don't suddenly stop using credit cards for like 2-3 business days and with auto withdrawals, something is bound to eff up). I'm generally an exceptionally patient person (hey, we all make mistakes, as long as you are polite and are working towards resolving the issue, I will be glad to even give you extra time to sort things out) and I'll laugh off mistakes like nothing.

This guy though... has been borderline rude/parroting stupid stuff and has been IMO an amazing example of an imbecile at least once a day since last Saturday. My wife complains that even my personal emails are too cordial and business like, but even she's kinda like, "Saw the emails, yeah... that guy is stupid. I get why you're really upset."

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I build fintech software for a mortgage company, so I work pretty closely with different individuals involved in the industry at every level. It's shocking how easy it is to become a broker. I've met several brokers from all sorts of banks who I wouldn't trust to make my coffee, let alone transact the biggest purchase of my life.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I build fintech software for a mortgage company, so I work pretty closely with different individuals involved in the industry at every level. It's shocking how easy it is to become a broker. I've met several brokers from all sorts of banks who I wouldn't trust to make my coffee, let alone transact the biggest purchase of my life.
Tell me more! How can I become an illustrious broker who'd be in-charge of creating these massive expenditures!

"Trust Corpus X. He'll use your bacon to get your house."

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

TL;DR - Fig rants about how this mortgage broker is about the same qualify of service as a typical uneducated computer salesman at Futureshop.

This guy has the academia, he's just crap customer service and really useless at even repeating the basic spec sheet back to you.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
EA-18G Growler (an American carrier-based electronic warfare aircraft) coming in for a landing at Nellis AFB. The Growler is a version of the F/A-18F Super Hornet.
_STD3724 (2).jpg

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Funny, when I take pictures like that, they look fantastic on my phone.

Then I get home and look at them on the computer they look like I drew them with finger paints.

I envy that talent (and likely, equipment) that allows you to take such good photos.
It has a lot to do with 8 bit photos vs 16 or 32 bit. Cell phones are 8 bit and SLR's are 16 and 32 bit. The depth make a huge difference.

I'll be here to explain things to people all day. Even if they already know the explanation.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It has a lot to do with 8 bit photos vs 16 or 32 bit. Cell phones are 8 bit and SLR's are 16 and 32 bit. The depth make a huge difference.

I'll be here to explain things to people all day. Even if they already know the explanation.

Can you dumb it down further and explain the detail bit by bit?

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

ehhhhh... I'm of the opinion that bit depth is highly overrated. It's mostly really important when you're doing heavy processing or trying to recover really overblown highlights or underexposed shadows. Most people can't really tell the difference unless it's a really large photo and the human eye can't resolve more than 12-14 bits.

And I don't think there's any DSLR that produces more than 14 bit RAW files.

Camera sensor size and glass have more to do with crappy cell phone pics than anything.

sensor-chart.jpg

Last edited:

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
ehhhhh... I'm of the opinion that bit depth is highly overrated. It's mostly really important when you're doing heavy processing or trying to recover really overblown highlights or underexposed shadows. Most people can't really tell the difference unless it's a really large photo and the human eye can't resolve more than 12-14 bits.

And I don't think there's any DSLR that produces more than 14 bit RAW files.

Camera sensor size and glass have more to do with crappy cell phone pics than anything.

sensor-chart.jpg
Oh the sensor difference is definitely true, but as an editor, I see a huge difference in 8 bit vs 16 bit. That could be because I deal with it everyday and I do play with the photos.

When a client gives me an 8 bit photo to edit with. UGH!

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It refers to the granularity of colours and detail. Think of trying to show the transition from black to white in 10 shades vs 1000 shades. More bits will make the transition look smoother.

I was making a 8/16/32 bit joke, but flubbed the delivery. :laugh: Great explanation though.

I know about bits and pieces about and sensors and cameras and whatnot. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad