The North London thread: Tottenham vs Arsenal

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Zzzzz

Spurs will sell out the new stadium. So don't really see your point.

But I have to give Arsenalfans credit. Watching games at that stadium is rather boring - still you do show up in decent numbers.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
There is no way you can consider the atmosphere at the Emirates on par with the atmosphere at Anfield.

Anfield is quiet during small games, and only loud during Youll Never Walk Alone and when Liverpool win. During big games nothing beats Anfield, but Anfield is nowhere close to what it used to be against bottom 6 sides. Anfield has also been invaded by disintrestrd tourists. If Liverpool are losing Anfield turns very quiet quickly.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That is a ranking based on nothing, just an opinion

However, this list has Arsenal above Tottenham, and is actually based on decibels.

Another interesting thing to note is that Arsenal had more attendance is against Newcastle in mid season than Spurs had for their opening game, despite Spurs having room for 1000 more spectators, hahahhahahahahahha.

Feel the noise! Wolves fans loudest in Premier League so far
Atmosphere isn't just about how loud a place is.

Also, I'm not sure I buy that noise rating anyway. Chelsea and City among the top 4? Heh.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Zzzzz

Spurs will sell out the new stadium. So don't really see your point.

But I have to give Arsenalfans credit. Watching games at that stadium is rather boring - still you do show up in decent numbers.

We play extremely entertaining high scoring games and attacking football so boring is the wrong word. We win basically most home games too, we have a comparable home record to Liverpool.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Arsenal play extremely entertaining football?
Not really, too much build up from the back to retain position and start again if it doesn't work out, but less likely to get killed on the counter which Wenger never learned from. Take the pros with the cons I guess, but I don't see people whining here about Barca playing the exact same way...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not really, too much build up from the back to retain position and start again if it doesn't work out, but less likely to get killed on the counter which Wenger never learned from. Take the pros with the cons I guess, but I don't see people whining here about Barca playing the exact same way...
A lot of people have complained about how Barca play right now (mostly Barca fans) but the difference in quality and execution between the two teams is...substantial.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A lot of people have complained about how Barca play right now (mostly Barca fans) but the difference in quality and execution between the two teams is...substantial.
I don't disagree, but lets also be honest and conclude that Barca's golden age is gone. Sure they keep winning the La Liga title, but that club's hopes is similar to PSG and that Europe matters more. Barca won the CL in 2015 and then they didn't win anything since 2010. It gets worse, if you get rid of their golden age CL titles then they've only won two one in 1992 and the other in 2015. Besides Messi, all they are now is a hype club similar to Arsenal getting players based on their past and not really their future.

They'll always be able to get the top players because of the club's aura and that they are insanely wealthy, but I don't get this "well, they're Barca so they get a pass in the football they play". If that's the case, then lets give AC Milan a pass for the last decade of failure since they were a better team than Barcelona for a large portion of existence.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
There is a 0% chance Man City is 4th in any crowd measurement. They struggle to sell out regularly. That list is trash.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't disagree, but lets also be honest and conclude that Barca's golden age is gone. Sure they keep winning the La Liga title, but that club's hopes is similar to PSG and that Europe matters more. Barca won the CL in 2015 and then they didn't win anything since 2010. It gets worse, if you get rid of their golden age CL titles then they've only won two one in 1992 and the other in 2015. Besides Messi, all they are now is a hype club similar to Arsenal getting players based on their past and not really their future.

They'll always be able to get the top players because of the club's aura and that they are insanely wealthy, but I don't get this "well, they're Barca so they get a pass in the football they play". If that's the case, then lets give AC Milan a pass for the last decade of failure since they were a better team than Barcelona for a large portion of existence.

They won the treble twice within this decade. and lol to the rest of it, De Jong, Umitit, Lenglet, Arthur and Semedo were bought within the last few season. Not a single player there has hit their prime.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Barcelona is still a top 3 team in the world, and I was just saying they aren't given a free pass. Not sure what you're going on about there.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Antisemitism isn't really politics. Anyway - I don't think that is the reason for the rivalries (or at least not what is sustaining them at the moment). And I agree the hissing is probably more a brain dead way of aggravating than anything else. Still classless.
Agreed on the first statement, although it’s sadly changing. But yeah, I think it could be the starting point of a rivalry and once a rivalry takes root, it’s hard to remove.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
There is a 0% chance Man City is 4th in any crowd measurement. They struggle to sell out regularly. That list is trash.
Saying a list based on averaging decibel recordings is trash because it doesn’t conform to your priors is a pretty good indication you should update your priors.

The better argument is that the list was early in the season and didn’t encompass the whole season

Reactions: AB13 and Cassano

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
De Jong is secondary market lol? Umtiti when healthy is better than Langlet and a top 5 defender.
De Jong isn't, but Ajax got the most money for him based on one hype-full season even though he is a solid player. Umtiti is overrated, not even close is he a top 5 defender. However, with that said he is still a very capable #5 and definitely had an upward trajectory right before the World Cup in my book (injuries have killed that momentum though).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
De Jong isn't, but Ajax got the most money for him based on one hype-full season even though he is a solid player. Umtiti is overrated, not even close is he a top 5 defender. However, with that said he is still a very capable #5 and definitely had an upward trajectory right before the World Cup in my book (injuries have killed that momentum though).

Doesn't matter how much money they got him for and it wasn't hype its his talent that turned heads. So, yeah, De jong, Umitit and others are not secondary players. They would walk into any team starting lineup.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Saying a list based on averaging decibel recordings is trash because it doesn’t conform to your priors is a pretty good indication you should update your priors.

The better argument is that the list was early in the season and didn’t encompass the whole season

"Measuring decibels" tells you more about engineering than it does about a crowd. It's not really useful. The implication with this was that it can be used to measure crowd support, to which my comment about their attendance comes from.

Reactions: Cassano and YNWA14

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
"Measuring decibels" tells you more about engineering than it does about a crowd. It's not really useful. The implication with this was that it can be used to measure crowd support, to which my comment about their attendance comes from.
It tells you about how loud a crowd is. And if you have fewer people and the crowd is louder, that seems to imply more rabid fans.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
817 days since arse last finished above spurs in the prem
you keep living in the past tho, that's all you got :thumbu:

Finishing above us isn’t something to glorify. Doesn’t matter if you don’t win trophies. Actually being proud of finishing above us in the table without winning a single piece of silverware at all is genuinely one of the most pathetic things I have ever heard. Spurs fans are the only ones in the world that would pine proud of that. You don’t see us bragging about finishing above United every season except one since Fergie left. And that is litteraly only three seasons, not long at all. You want to ignore finishing below us every year without exception for over 2 decades before that, and for most years in your excistence? Last season is just as much in the past as 10 years ago. All in the past. The past is obviously relevant it is what makes a football club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad