The North London thread: Tottenham vs Arsenal

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Finishing above us isn’t something to glorify. Doesn’t matter if you don’t win trophies. Actually being proud of finishing above us in the table without winning a single piece of silverware at all is genuinely one of the most pathetic things I have ever heard. Spurs fans are the only ones in the world that would pine proud of that.

Considering that "St. Totteringham's day" is a thing, I found this whole excerpt extremely hypocritical.

Thanks for the laughs as always though.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
oh but it was for arse fans when spurs were **** so be prepared to take yr medicine for a long time :thumbu:

When you do it consistently for decades, it becomes a funny joke, but nothing more than that.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Considering that "St. Totteringham's day" is a thing, I found this whole excerpt extremely hypocritical.

Thanks for the laughs as always though.

St Totteringhams day was a funny joke but not a serious thing. Not something we glorified or really celebrated at all.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I think most rational sports fans would be rather pleased finishing above their arch rivals of similar stature. Schadenfreude my friend.

St Totteringhams day was a funny joke but not a serious thing. Not something we glorified or really celebrated at all.
Why can you lot "joke" about finishing above us but we can't do the same back? Once again, hypocritical.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

This is one game I specifically loved because we finished ahead of Spurs. I then always follow up the fond memory with the fact that we finished second to Leicester in a year that for the first have was talked of begin wide open. The closest Arsenal has gotten to a prem title in a while and we were not even that close..

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

This is one game I specifically loved because we finished ahead of Spurs. I then always follow up the fond memory with the fact that we finished second to Leicester in a year that for the first have was talked of begin wide open. The closest Arsenal has gotten to a prem title in a while and we were not even that close..

You may have loved the result, but had Arsenal not finished above Spurs it might have expedited the Arsene Wenger experience. If anything that bought him another year.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
You may have loved the result, but had Arsenal not finished above Spurs it might have expedited the Arsene Wenger experience. If anything that bought him another year.

You're wrong. The FA Cups, finishing top 4, Kroenke's cheapness and Gazidis' incompetence is what extended Wenger's time.

Reactions: AB13 and Cassano

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
There was not way he was being sacked that year

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Or it means your stadium is built to capture noise.
Which is all well and good but that’s something that has an impact on the game, so it’s still meaningful. Now, given that we know Emirates isn’t built to do that with its gentle slopes, that means we’re back into looking at Arsenal, who’s mid table with average noise, as having good fans.

Reactions: AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I think most rational sports fans would be rather pleased finishing above their arch rivals of similar stature. Schadenfreude my friend.

Why can you lot "joke" about finishing above us but we can't do the same back? Once again, hypocritical.

You can joke about it, but not glorify it and use it as an argument for being a big club. You need to win 12 Leagues and 6 FA Cups, along with 2 Leagues in our backyard and an unbeaten title before talking about a power shift.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Arsenal has not legitimately competed for the Prem since like 08-09 yet I see a lot of cockiness from the fans. Not sure why.

Ohhh the lovely double standards! Very strange comment since Tottenham have not legitamately challenged for the Prem either. Not once, ever, since the Prem was founded in 1992!

15-16? We were very close to Leicester until Giroud decided to go on a huge goal deought late. Tottenham could also be considered to have challenged then I guess, but by your supposed standards, Spurs have not either challenged. So Spurs really can’t say more than us

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
You can joke about it, but not glorify it and use it as an argument for being a big club. You need to win 12 Leagues and 6 FA Cups, along with 2 Leagues in our backyard and an unbeaten title before talking about a power shift.

Not a single Spurs supporter on here is arguing that Spurs have a richer history, so I still don't understand why you keep bringing it up.

But it's 2019 now. Spurs have been gaining a lot of ground over the past decade and are a top ten club in current day. I'd call that a big club. You can't keep living in denial.

In terms of Arsenal Vs Spurs I'd argue that Spurs have been the better team for the past three years. That because of Spurs rapid progression and Arsenal's mismanagement as of late. I think the league results and european results prove that.

But I wouldn't be the least surprised if we got passed soon again sadly. I was rather impressed by Arsenals transfer business this summer and I think they have the best academy crop in England. Whilst I think Spurs near future is extremely unpredictable.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Not a single Spurs supporter on here is arguing that Spurs have a richer history, so I still don't understand why you keep bringing it up.

But it's 2019 now. Spurs have been gaining a lot of ground over the past decade and are a top ten club in current day. I'd call that a big club. You can't keep living in denial.

In terms of Arsenal Vs Spurs I'd argue that Spurs have been the better team for the past three years. That because of Spurs rapid progression and Arsenal's mismanagement as of late. I think the league results and european results prove that.

But I wouldn't be the least surprised if we got passed soon again sadly. I was rather impressed by Arsenals transfer business this summer and I think they have the best academy crop in England. Whilst I think Spurs near future is extremely unpredictable.

I agree with most of what you said, and I also think we have been worse for three seasons now, although I do expect that to change very soon. I dont think you have progressed either, you have regressed over a couple of seasons now.

I don’t think you are not a top 10 club, top 15 is probably more reasonable. And without the fans and history, you can’t be a big club, titles, honours and fans are what make a big club. Looking at club size, you are not even a top 10 club in England. City and PSG are not big clubs, not even close to it, even though they are top 10 clubs comfortably.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Arsenal has a much much much richer history.

This decade they have been comparable.

This half of a decade, Spurs have been better.

I think that should sum up this argument.

This decade, Arsenal have finished above Spurs 7 times, Spurs above Arsenal 3 times. Arsenal have won 3 FA Cups ( and 3 community shields but I would probably not consider that a proper trophy) Spurs have not won anything. Would not call that comparable. But otherwise, you are right. Spurs have been better from 2017-2019, but that is the first time in over 30 years that you can really say that.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
This decade, Arsenal have finished above Spurs 7 times, Spurs above Arsenal 3 times. Arsenal have won 3 FA Cups ( and 3 community shields but I would probably not consider that a proper trophy) Spurs have not won anything. Would not call that comparable. .

Only 9 years this decade. As far as the PL goes, it's 6-3 but each club has the exact same average finish in the standings, 4th. Arsenal has a total of two more points in the table over the 9 years.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Only 9 years this decade. As far as the PL goes, it's 6-3 but each club has the exact same average finish in the standings, 4th. Arsenal has a total of two more points in the table over the 9 years.

2009-10 - 2018-19 is 10 seasons. 7-3 Arsenal. 11 more points. 2 points was false for those 9 years by the way, the difference was 6 points. That is irrelevant though but don’t lie to exaggerate.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
2 points was false for those 9 years by the way, the difference was 6 points. That is irrelevant though but don’t lie to exaggerate.

I'm not lying. My count was off, it's actually 4 points, so your math is off too, ass.

Spurs
62 pts
total-640

Arsenal
total-644

4 points over 9 years. The difference is a point every 85 games.

Reactions: AB13

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
2009-10 - 2018-19 is 10 seasons. 7-3 Arsenal. 11 more points. 2 points was false for those 9 years by the way, the difference was 6 points. That is irrelevant though but don’t lie to exaggerate.

You don't need to lie to exaggerate.

A bit much saying someone is lying when it might as just be an honest mistake. As an Arsenalfan you should know about honest mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad