The North London thread: Tottenham vs Arsenal

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
They are both tied with 0 Champions League titles.

You mean these clubs got a strong and big base real fans that support their team even if they have not won the billionaire lottery?

As a Spursfan I am kind of obliged to "hate" Arsenal, but at least it is a real club - even if they are not really from North London. Sadly I rather see Arsenal win than City or Chelsea.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean, a lot of teams have won the CL without billionaire owners or 'cash infusions' (as though Spurs and Arsenal are poor).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You mean these clubs got a strong and big base real fans that support their team even if they have not won the billionaire lottery?

As a Spursfan I am kind of obliged to "hate" Arsenal, but at least it is a real club - even if they are not really from North London. Sadly I rather see Arsenal win than City or Chelsea.
City and Chelsea are very much real clubs.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Hey, if you guys want to make a thread dedicated to betting odds for when any current Chelsea manager is going to be fired and who the replacement is go for it. I'm just saying, you guys are tied in that head to head matchup.

Just some friendly banter.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I mean, a lot of teams have won the CL without billionaire owners or 'cash infusions' (as though Spurs and Arsenal are poor).

Sure. But no Spursfan and hardly any Arsenalfan would argue their team is on par with RM, Barcelona, BM etc.

Liverpool is the only team that has not been one of the giants or cash rolled by some owner that has won the CL in quite a few years.

The only team "smaller" than Arsenal to have won the CL is arguably Porto. And no team historically "smaller" than Spurs have probably ever won the CL - considering football was different back when teams like Red Star could win it. So I don´t think it is so odd the two teams haven´t won it. What is odd is the level of support those two teams are still getting and generating.

Obviously the initial comment is just to wind people up. Hopefully no Spursfan will bite.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Other than the Sharks, I think I've come to care more for Spurs than any other of my teams.

And yet, this thread is going to be so gross. LOL

I'm just glad that Liverpool aren't Arsenal or Chelsea. I admire the hell out of what they did and I actually like Liverpool because they played so wonderfully last year. If that shit went on with either of those two clubs......couldn't imagine it.

Reactions: YNWA14

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Let me preface this by saying that I think every Spurs supporter is very aware of Arsenal's richer history. We've been reminded of it too many times. But that doesn't mean that Spurs history is lacking or anything. I find it discredited too often.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm just glad that Liverpool aren't Arsenal or Chelsea. I admire the hell out of what they did and I actually like Liverpool because they played so wonderfully last year. If that **** went on with either of those two clubs......couldn't imagine it.

That's exactly how I feel about Tottenham, they aren't them. The last few years of reading absolute garbage takes about Liverpool (particularly from one group) when the team finally had good quality again made me this way.

History is one thing, but it's small consolation for the present when you've been living through the present and been disappointed for so long. I am quick to point out that history would have been absolutely no consolation for losing that second final in June. There's only so long that a person can fall back on that.

Reactions: robertmac43

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
I would just like us to win the league at Spurs new stadium too. It's starting to be a little bit boring singing about how we won the league at White Hart Lane. Eh, who am i trying to fool here? It's still just as hilarious!

Did i just started a beef now?

Reactions: AB13

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yes but who's mightier?
City and Chelsea are very much real clubs.
I've been reading and learning a lot of history and if we're talking about full EPL glory, then the list would like this...

1. Man United (no arguments from me, they've been the most successful EPL club ever)
2. Arsenal (when Wenger knew what he was doing, he crushed opponents as consistently as USA's military)
3. Chelsea (they've fallen into a disgrace club due to their owner, but at least they were consistently in the top 7)
4. Liverpool (meh, a bunch of random trophies in the 60s nobody considers relevant anymore)
5. Newcastle United (were an unbelievable opponent before money got in the way of winning)
6. Everton (another glory club before money)
7. Spurs (always been consistent in staying in the league, but professional bottlers)
8. Aston Villa (trio of the four)
9. Blackburn (fourth of the four)
10. Man City (probably as plastic as you can get, can sweep any terrible signing under the rug due to their blood money additions)

Reactions: AB13

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
17-Laughing-Really-Hard-Gif.gif

Reactions: Cassano

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Funny how how city is blood money, Chelsea is a disgraceful owner and Arsenal’s owner who’s in bed with the waltons is by all accounts a white saviour. Lol

The point of my post was the fact that the clubs definitely existed prior to oil money.

Reactions: Gecklund

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Funny how how city is blood money, Chelsea is a disgraceful owner and Arsenal’s owner who’s in bed with the waltons is by all accounts a white saviour. Lol

The point of my post was the fact that the clubs definitely existed prior to oil money.

This is Evilo's point - which I find to be a very poor one.

There are degrees of things. I don't think any billionaire should own a football club, but I would separate between the owners of Spurs (that I know better than the owner of Arsenal, Utd, Liverpool etc.) and the owners of PSG, City and Chelsea. So saying that the owner of Spurs might not be all that (or Evilo's argument that Utd got "unethical" money due to their sponsorship agreement with Chevrolet) doesn't mean it is a lesser evil than the three worst ones (at least the worst among the high profiled owners). It seems like you are making the point that don't criticize City because the others are bad too. Very strange way of reasoning in my opinion.

There is another aspect as well. You might have bad people owning a team without it influencing the sport much. I am a Canucks fan (unfortunately) and based on what I know about he owners I have very little positive to say about them, but they are not influencing how the NHL is working much. If the owners and City, PSG and Chelsea haven't poured money that should have gone elsewhere into football I wouldn't have minded it so much. I still wouldn't have liked the owners, but at least they are not ruining things for proper football clubs they way they are now doing (I know Evilo and others will disagree with me there).

My stand is pretty simple. Money generated by the football club should be spent on the team and infrastructure. Nothing more and nothing less. If you for altruistic reasons want to give football money then give it to kids or infrastructure. Spending it to inflate salaries and transfer fees is just unnecessary.

Anyway - a discussion for another thread. I think Arsenal got a better owner than PSG, City and Chelsea. I don't know why people disagree to that, but I recognize they do. And they probably don't understand how I can separate between them - a point I can't really explain much better than I have tried to do.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Almost all big football clubs have gone into massive amounts of debt to finance their team at some point. Trying to take the holier than thou route with regards to money in the game is pretty pointless now. They've all got their hands dirty.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Arsenal are obviously one million times mightier. 45 total titles, 13 Leagues, the only unbeaten title since the 20th century, 13 FA Cups, the most titles in the oldest active competition in football history, a bunch of legendary players like Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Adams, Pires, Campbell and Seaman. Don’t forget the massive global fanbase with a huge following all around the globe, and a much larger club worth than Spurs. Arsenal have a lot more money too, just looking at financial records prove that. Sadly the owners aren’t very keen on spending it.

Spurs have throughout large parts their history been an irrelevant mid table club at best. 2 League titles, 0 Premier League titles, 8 FA cups and a very small fanbase full of some plastics who started supporting Tottenham in 2016 because they enjoyed the cinderella story of a small clubs rise from mediocrity ( if you can call winnings nothing a cinderella story). Spurs have had a few decent players in the past but nothing close to their nightly neighbours.

Comparing Arsenal to Spurs in a club size context is like comparing Barcelona to Espanyol.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I've been reading and learning a lot of history and if we're talking about full EPL glory, then the list would like this...

1. Man United (no arguments from me, they've been the most successful EPL club ever)
2. Arsenal (when Wenger knew what he was doing, he crushed opponents as consistently as USA's military)
3. Chelsea (they've fallen into a disgrace club due to their owner, but at least they were consistently in the top 7)
4. Liverpool (meh, a bunch of random trophies in the 60s nobody considers relevant anymore)
5. Newcastle United (were an unbelievable opponent before money got in the way of winning)
6. Everton (another glory club before money)
7. Spurs (always been consistent in staying in the league, but professional bottlers)
8. Aston Villa (trio of the four)
9. Blackburn (fourth of the four)
10. Man City (probably as plastic as you can get, can sweep any terrible signing under the rug due to their blood money additions)

Good list, but Spurs should be below City, Villa and Blackburn just looking at trophies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad