The North London thread: Tottenham vs Arsenal

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It wouldn’t surprise me if that reason was that Tottenham was traditionally the Jewish club.

I honestly don't know. That would surprise me though - even if Arsenalfans are often doing their very classy hissing. Just lovely.

Spurs were the first London team to be successful. That might matter.

Spurs - Arsenal is obvious. Not only for geographical reasons, but also down to the corruption leading to Arsenal being promoted in 1919.

Spurs - Chelsea I don't know. It is an odd one to me - especially since Chelsea have been competing more with Arsenal than Spurs the recent years. Obviously recently many Spursfans feel Chelsea took their place in London due to winning the billionaire lottery.

Spurs - West Ham I think is down to teams like Millwall, Charlton and maybe even more Leyton Orient not being PL teams. West Ham have kind of ran out of local rivalries. And even if Arsenal was the big fish that would never really be seen as a rivalry among Arsenalfans in the modern day. Arsenal were just too good compared to WH. However, Spurs were a lot more on par in terms of quality.

Probably books written about this. Unfortunately these things don't really interest me. I love the rivalry with Arsenal - the rest I honestly don't care much about. A team only got one proper rival and now I think it is fair to say Spurs have finally caught up with Arsenal and become a proper rival again.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
That is 100% not true. What are you even talking about?

I guarantee you most fans in the USA who picked Tottenham did so because of Clint Dempsey or Brad Friedel.
Anecdotally this is true of my best friend who became a spurs fan because of Dempsey. And also a little because he wanted to have a rival team from me because we share all other sports.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I honestly don't know. That would surprise me though - even if Arsenalfans are often doing their very classy hissing. Just lovely.
Yeah, I don’t mean that it’s a current thing but traditionally. Also, as a Jew, I think a lot of those things (and chants toward Ajax in Eredivisie) are not motivated by true anti-Semitism. But we’re veering towards politics and it’s best we leave it there.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Antisemitism isn't really politics. Anyway - I don't think that is the reason for the rivalries (or at least not what is sustaining them at the moment). And I agree the hissing is probably more a brain dead way of aggravating than anything else. Still classless.

Reactions: bluesfan94

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
That is 100% not true. What are you even talking about?

I guarantee you most fans in the USA who picked Tottenham did so because of Clint Dempsey or Brad Friedel.

Well I don’t know about the situation in the USA. This seems to be the case in Sweden and europe at least

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
Arsenal are probably the least plastic possible, the huge global fanbase stick by the team no matter how they play, and have been supporters for years. Spurs however, have mostly bandwagon fans who recently started watching football, but they change teams when Spurs bottle it like always.

Arsenal’s stadium is christened “the library” for a reason, their support is made up of lots of people who are not really into football but have jumped on to football’s popularity bandwagon and have chosen to support Arsenal, just look at how many celebrity fans they have, 20 years ago these people would have had no interest in football.

They also wave those wanky flags when they score a goal, nothing organic from the fans just corporate bullshit.

I know this is tongue in cheek but sums up Arsenal fans superbly.

Reactions: Jussi

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Arsenal’s stadium is christened “the library” for a reason, their support is made up of lots of people who are not really into football but have jumped on to football’s popularity bandwagon and have chosen to support Arsenal, just look at how many celebrity fans they have, 20 years ago these people would have had no interest in football.

They also wave those wanky flags when they score a goal, nothing organic from the fans just corporate bull****.

I know this is tongue in cheek but sums up Arsenal fans superbly.

Look it up, there are multiple tests that show that the Emirates are one of the loudest stadiums in England on matchday, but whatever fits your agenda. Guess who finished below Arsenal in those tests? Thats right.

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
Look it up, there are multiple tests that show that the Emirates are one of the loudest stadiums in England on matchday, but whatever fits your agenda. Guess who finished below Arsenal in those tests? Thats right.

I’m not really talking about test for how loud it is for a one off moment, although I could not find any reliable links to back up your claim.

It is more about the atmosphere in general

Bring the Noise: Ranking All 20 Premier League Grounds Based on Fan Atmosphere

Ps - I’m not a Spurs fan and expect they will suffer similar problems in their new stadium.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I’m not really talking about test for how loud it is for a one off moment, although I could not find any reliable links to back up your claim.

It is more about the atmosphere in general

Bring the Noise: Ranking All 20 Premier League Grounds Based on Fan Atmosphere

Ps - I’m not a Spurs fan and expect they will suffer similar problems in their new stadium.

That is a ranking based on nothing, just an opinion

However, this list has Arsenal above Tottenham, and is actually based on decibels.

Another interesting thing to note is that Arsenal had more attendance is against Newcastle in mid season than Spurs had for their opening game, despite Spurs having room for 1000 more spectators, hahahhahahahahahha.

Feel the noise! Wolves fans loudest in Premier League so far

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Emirates has a flawed design - similar to Wembley. I have never ever seen it being listed as especially loud.

The new Spurs stadium is a completely different beast. Unfortunately Spurs fans are not especially loud on a normal day. And the number of good songs that actually works is rather limited.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Atmosphere at the Emirates is often times not great, no.

Arsenal claim attendance vs BATE Borisov was 54,648

Listen, I can understand why a lot of supporters don't show up for an Europe League game against Bate Borisov. What I'm trying to point out is how Arsenal's attendance numbers are completely dishonest. Saying 54k were there when there really was less than 30k says it all...

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Atmosphere at the Emirates is often times not great, no.

Arsenal claim attendance vs BATE Borisov was 54,648

Listen, I can understand why a lot of supporters don't show up for an Europe League game against Bate Borisov. What I'm trying to point out is how Arsenal's attendance numbers are completely dishonest. Saying 54k were there when there really was less than 30k says it all...

Well, we can only believe the attendance figures that we actually have statistics for. According to them, Arsenal have a larger average attendance than Spurs. The Premier League make sure that the figures are legitimate. All clubs are obligated to report tickets sold.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Just a friendly reminder. Today marks the anniversary of 4188 Days since Spurs last won a trophy ( League cup)
10 313 days since an FA cup win
And 26 301 days since Spurs last won the League ( 1961)

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
No need to worry AB13. Every single Spurs game will be sold out this year. Even pre-season. And since the stadium is bigger then...

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
No need to worry AB13. Every single Spurs game will be sold out this year. Even pre-season. And since the stadium is bigger then...

That would be really suprising since it has not happened in the past. Considering all the hype and excitement at Arsenal around the new signings and young talent, I would expect Arsenal to sell out basically ett game though. Since we had a 98% attendance last year in the PL, that is not an unreasonable ask.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I stand by my claim that the atmosphere at the Emirates is rather lacking most games. I'd probably say the same about Spurs new stadium soon though.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That would be really suprising since it has not happened in the past. Considering all the hype and excitement at Arsenal around the new signings and young talent, I would expect Arsenal to sell out basically ett game though. Since we had a 98% attendance last year in the PL, that is not an unreasonable ask.

If by past you mean Wembley that is not really comparable.

Maybe there is a mid week game that doesn't get sold out, but I'm not expecting it.

Can't blame Spursfans for not being desperate to watch some of the poorer teams though. Unlike Arsenal one does get a bit spoiled with high level home games.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
If by past you mean Wembley that is not really comparable.

Maybe there is a mid week game that doesn't get sold out, but I'm not expecting it.

Can't blame Spursfans for not being desperate to watch some of the poorer teams though. Unlike Arsenal one does get a bit spoiled with high level home games.

I don’t think the level of football at home is a good argument to use against Arsenal, considering our home record is better than Spurs home record. Both will probably have among the highest attendance percentages in the league. Spurs had around a 94% attendance per season the last few years at the old Sh*te Hart Lane and so it will probably be somewhere around that. Arsenal have had around 98-99% for the past few seasons.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
3018de12627e486c218616db7ac1a935.jpg

This is why Wembley %""#&" and also the Emirates.

Unbelievably poor design. Which does influence both atmosphere and the view of the game.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I stand by my claim that the atmosphere at the Emirates is rather lacking most games. I'd probably say the same about Spurs new stadium soon though.

Not more lacking than any other top 6 side home stadium, as most are filled with tourists who don’t sing much. Looking at decibel figures, Arsenal are among the loudest in the Prem.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don’t think the level of football at home is a good argument to use against Arsenal, considering our home record is better than Spurs home record. Both will probably have among the highest attendance percentages in the league. Spurs had around a 96% attendance per season at the old Sh*te Hart Lane and so it will probably be somewhere around that. Arsenal have had around 98-99% for the past few seasons.

The level of football? I'm talking about Spursfans having the option of watching Barcelona while Arsenal play Östersund. It might be easier to skip Brighton at home on Sunday when you know Barcelona are coming on Wednesday.

Reactions: Live in the Now

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The level of football? I'm talking about Spursfans having the option of watching Barcelona while Arsenal play Östersund. It might be easier to skip Brighton at home on Sunday when you know Barcelona are coming on Wednesday.

Spurs just don’t have enough loyal fans to fill the stadium every game, Arsenal do. Simple as that. Attendance figures show it. If Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and United all have been able to fill both UCL and PL games every game, why shouldn’t Spurs do it. Might have something to do with a small fanbase?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad