The North London thread: Tottenham vs Arsenal

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I have two good friends who are arsenal supporters, and they've never been too bad about the usual vitriol heading my way as a Spurs fan, but it's picked up a lot over the past couple of years simply because they've unconsciously recognized who the better club are now and are overcompensating

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
I've been reading and learning a lot of history and if we're talking about full EPL glory, then the list would like this...

1. Man United (no arguments from me, they've been the most successful EPL club ever)
2. Arsenal (when Wenger knew what he was doing, he crushed opponents as consistently as USA's military)
3. Chelsea (they've fallen into a disgrace club due to their owner, but at least they were consistently in the top 7)
4. Liverpool (meh, a bunch of random trophies in the 60s nobody considers relevant anymore)
5. Newcastle United (were an unbelievable opponent before money got in the way of winning)
6. Everton (another glory club before money)
7. Spurs (always been consistent in staying in the league, but professional bottlers)
8. Aston Villa (trio of the four)
9. Blackburn (fourth of the four)
10. Man City (probably as plastic as you can get, can sweep any terrible signing under the rug due to their blood money additions)

You should also learn that football in England existed before the EPL was invented and that football still exists outside of the EPL.

Also on topic, given the choice of Arsenal or Tottenham 90% of neutral fans would pick Tottenham. Arsenal are the epitome of a plastic club.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
You should also learn that football in England existed before the EPL was invented and that football still exists outside of the EPL.

Also on topic, given the choice of Arsenal or Tottenham 90% of neutral fans would pick Tottenham. Arsenal are the epitome of a plastic club.

Arsenal are probably the least plastic possible, the huge global fanbase stick by the team no matter how they play, and have been supporters for years. Spurs however, have mostly bandwagon fans who recently started watching football, but they change teams when Spurs bottle it like always.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Huh? Your post intimated that Tottenham was those clubs biggest derby "for a specific reason" (literally what you wrote) and didn't mention Millwall at all, so I'm confused.
My bad, from what I got from your post it suggested that Wst Ham has a different 'biggest rival'.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
My bad, from what I got from your post it suggested that Wst Ham has a different 'biggest rival'.
Well, in this case you're right, Millwall is definitely a bigger derby for West Ham (I don't think Tottenham supporters place the level of importance to West Ham that exists vice versa anyway).

I was more interested in what the reason is that you were alluding to.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Well, in this case you're right, Millwall is definitely a bigger derby for West Ham (I don't think Tottenham supporters place the level of importance to West Ham that exists vice versa anyway).

I was more interested in what the reason is that you were alluding to.
I'm not exactly sure why either, but they must be doing something right if all the main London teams hate them the most despite them being only moderately successful.

Reactions: AB13

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Arsenal are probably the least plastic possible, the huge global fanbase stick by the team no matter how they play, and have been supporters for years. Spurs however, have mostly bandwagon fans who recently started watching football, but they change teams when Spurs bottle it like always.

If their fans mostly consists of bandwagons that just recently started watching how can they already changed teams when Spurs have yet to bottle anything? Your post as usual makes absolutely no sense. The newer Arsenals fans on here are worse than the 2 notorious ones. I miss T M L.

Reactions: bluesfan94

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
If their fans mostly consists of bandwagons that just recently started watching how can they already changed teams when Spurs have yet to bottle anything? Your post as usual makes absolutely no sense. The newer Arsenals fans on here are worse than the 2 notorious ones. I miss T M L.

They started watching 3 years ago and changed because Spurs bottled a title challenge year after year. Seems logical. How on earth is that not logical? Are you just trying to deliberately misunderstand?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They started watching 3 years ago and changed because Spurs bottled a title challenge year after year. Seems logical. How on earth is that not logical? Are you just trying to deliberately misunderstand?
In what world did Spurs bottle a title the past 3 seasons?

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

That is 100% not true. What are you even talking about?

I guarantee you most fans in the USA who picked Tottenham did so because of Clint Dempsey or Brad Friedel.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That is 100% not true. What are you even talking about?

I guarantee you most fans in the USA who picked Tottenham did so because of Clint Dempsey or Brad Friedel.

Nice to see Dempsey doing some good.

Kind of a pointless discussion though. All teams reaching a certain level of success/visibility will always attract "new fans" that won't necessarily be as loyal as fans supporting teams that aren't successful/visible.

Even more pointless coming from an Arsenalfan. Arsenal got a lot more fans worldwide than Spurs and obviously many of those would be the kind of fans AB13 is claiming Spurs got. Obviously just another wind up.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Huh? Your post intimated that Tottenham was those clubs biggest derby "for a specific reason" (literally what you wrote) and didn't mention Millwall at all, so I'm confused.
It wouldn’t surprise me if that reason was that Tottenham was traditionally the Jewish club.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
When you’re not sure what category you fall into

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad