The NJ Devils Goaltender Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The Devils can't have a higher than 30% chance at a top 2 pick. They never had a realistic shot at finishing last overall, so decrease that even further.

This team is still quite bad and gets outshot every night. They will continue to lose games. Cory Schneider will go back to being meh, if not terrible.

I mean they did have a shot. Ottawa was only two points "ahead" of them at one point IIRC.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Ahahahaaa this thread now.

tEz4rFD.gif

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Also I love the posts in here about how we're preparing to miss out on a good pick if we win games when the only 2 times we've won the lotto have been during our 2011 tear with Kovy leading the charge and in 2017 when we were slated to pick 7th and everyone panicked when we beat Philly in OT in that one game.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I mean they did have a shot. Ottawa was only two points "ahead" of them at one point IIRC.

Ottawa is a much worse team and they're going to be losing larger pieces at the deadline. Anything is possible but Ottawa is going to be really, really bad - they're at least losing Duchene and probably Dzingel.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Ottawa is a much worse team and they're going to be losing larger pieces at the deadline. Anything is possible but Ottawa is going to be really, really bad - they're at least losing Duchene and probably Dzingel.
Only thing for the Sens is they don't have their 1st round pick, so they aren't going to get much for their putrid season.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I never understood the "not a lot of miles on him" argument. He may not have a lot of NHL miles, but it's not like he didn't play in the minors and in college. Are NHL games that much tougher on the body than the other leagues?

They probably are (You're playing against the best players in the world, after all), but even besides that point, he didn't play in a ton of NHL games before he got here. Only 98 over 5 (4.5 if you count the lockout) seasons with the Canucks, to be exact. His first season with us was his first NHL season where he broke 40 GP.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Also I love the posts in here about how we're preparing to miss out on a good pick if we win games when the only 2 times we've won the lotto have been during our 2011 tear with Kovy leading the charge and in 2017 when we were slated to pick 7th and everyone panicked when we beat Philly in OT in that one game.

You don't need me to explain the statistics behind it, do you?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
You don't need me to explain the statistics behind it, do you?

No you don’t, but you’re ultimately rooting for losses if the better draft pick is your priority or concern.

I get we’re all infatuated with the best prospects, but it is a pointless exercise to fret over wins and losses when the fate is now more than ever determined by the bounce of ping pong balls.

It is actually significantly more important we hope we have a goaltending solution in house so that we don’t have to worry about that on top of all of our other holes.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Pretty hard to argue re: Schneider 'Oh, he was hurt before he had the hip surgery' and 'This guy's got less wear on him compared to other goalies his age'.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Seriously, 1 1/2 games is all it took?
Assuming he looks this good for the remainder of the year or averages pretty solid numbers from now until the end of the year. I’m in a wait and see mode, but I definitely don’t believe Cory is elite or even good anymore. I am hoping he’s on par with Marty from 2013-2014 or so. Which wasn’t a good goalie anymore, but at least was serviceable and wouldn’t hurt you much if he was your backup and wasn’t playing 40 games like he did.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Realistic options for the the offseason regarding the goalies

1. Imo the most plausible scenario * is cory stays and blackwood takes kks place. Kk gets a starters role elsewhere
* that's only if cory doesnt just implode after his 1 game and a half win streak..

2. If cory relapses again this seaosn, I could see them buying him out and go with a kk/blackwood tandem. Obv this scenario would need kk to agree to a deal as a starter.

3. Blackwood is used as part of a trade package to get a better player for us. Leaving cory/Kk tandem as a 1a,1b (similar to the isles goalie situation this year)

Goaltending has not been the major issue this year... despite what most here think. The defensive system of leaving guys wide open, screening the goalies, or just being out of position is 75% of the issue. Offense also has been lackluster this season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Realistic options for the the offseason regarding the goalies

1. Imo the most plausible scenario * is cory stays and blackwood takes kks place. Kk gets a starters role elsewhere
* that's only if cory doesnt just implode after his 1 game and a half win streak..

2. If cory relapses again this seaosn, I could see them buying him out and go with a kk/blackwood tandem. Obv this scenario would need kk to agree to a deal as a starter.

3. Blackwood is used as part of a trade package to get a better player for us. Leaving cory/Kk tandem as a 1a,1b (similar to the isles goalie situation this year)

Goaltending has not been the major issue this year... despite what most here think. The defensive system of leaving guys wide open, screening the goalies, or just being out of position is 75% of the issue. Offense also has been lackluster this season.
I don’t think it’s plausible that Kinkaid gets a starters deal next year. I think that dream is over. No one is signing him to be the starter. If he’s a starter next year, it will be because either the team he signed with had injuries or he somehow outplayed the starter who looks to be falling apart. Much like what happened to David Rittich this year taking over for a broken down Mike Smith in Calgary and much like him taking the job from a breaking down Cory last year. No one is signing him to be a starter in the NHL. He played himself out of that. You can say save percentage means nothing, but NHL GM’s look at that stuff. Especially if they’re gonna sign someone to be their starter.

And I don’t see any way both Schneider and Kinkaid are here again next year. Chances would appear to be astronomically low of that happening as of this moment.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I’m all in on the Cory Comeback Tour. I’d happily take a healthy and good Schneider next season than moving up a draft slot or two. I dont think we’re getting one of the top 2 spots.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yes. They’ll mix him sometimes once the roster limits are lifted.

I doubt it unless KK somehow gets traded or Bingo's eliminated from the playoff chase. They don't want to bring him back here to have him sit or play backup games.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
I doubt it unless KK somehow gets traded or Bingo's eliminated from the playoff chase. They don't want to bring him back here to have him sit or play backup games.
Binghamton is 11 points out of the last playoff spot with 21 games remaining and the team currently in that last playoff spot has two games in hand. Binghamton's magic number is 58.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it's dumb that Hynes won't say who is playing tomorrow and he's really dumb if he sits Cory while he's on a hot streak.

I thought it was stupid to call Cory back up just to put him on the bench as the backup against the Kings after his last AHL game, which was pretty good. I did understand a bit though, just because Kinkaid has been good against the Kings.

The only rationale to not playing Cory tomorrow would be to not give him too many games while he's still ''Healing''. As long as he's on this hot streak, there's no reason not to play him in what's a non-back to back tomorrow night. Especially since Keith looks like he might be cooked for the season at this point.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I think it's dumb that Hynes won't say who is playing tomorrow and he's really dumb if he sits Cory while he's on a hot streak.

I thought it was stupid to call Cory back up just to put him on the bench as the backup against the Kings after his last AHL game, which was pretty good. I did understand a bit though, just because Kinkaid has been good against the Kings.

The only rationale to not playing Cory tomorrow would be to not give him too many games while he's still ''Healing''. As long as he's on this hot streak, there's no reason not to play him in what's a non-back to back tomorrow night. Especially since Keith looks like he might be cooked for the season at this point.
I thought CS could only do a 5 game conditioning stint in Binghamton and he had to come back? And that it is not up to Shero and Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad