The NJ Devils Goaltender Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Hopefully it means they found a sucker to take Kinkaid for AHL filler. Bingo's way out of the playoff hunt now so might as well bring the better guys up here (including Blackwood).

Reactions: mdj12784

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I finally became okay with not having Blackwood up for the rest of the season. So I don't really care if Kinkaid isn't traded. If he is traded, it won't be for anything good. They might even trade him for some AHL guy and the team that trades for him throws him down into the AHL because they have problems with their goalies in the AHL. That's if he is traded.

I don't think he needs to be traded, but I'd like to see very little of him, due to the ''Low-priority'' need to look at him, that I've spoken about.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I finally became okay with not having Blackwood up for the rest of the season. So I don't really care if Kinkaid isn't traded. If he is traded, it won't be for anything good. They might even trade him for some AHL guy and the team that trades for him throws him down into the AHL because they have problems with their goalies in the AHL. That's if he is traded.
Or some team with a top flight starter and their own version of Kinkaid trades for him anyway.

A fifth rounder isn’t really anything good, but it’s more than I thought he’d get.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory over the last month has a 2.28 gaa and a .929 SV. Kinda nuts when you think how absolutely awful he was. I legit didn't think he could even be a backup at one point.
It's .935% after tonight.

I do think he's serviceable still, which I was 50/50 on a month ago. The question now is just how serviceable.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Handing the keys to Blackwood when he hasn't had a full season of playing good professional hockey is a bad idea. That's aside from the obvious, which is having Cory be worth his contract for its duration.
I don't like this way of thinking. The last part, about Cory needing to be worth his contract. This implies that we need to play him the way he's paid. I've read these arguments for years, all over the forums and about players at all positions. It's not just about Cory or a goalie, but players at any position. ''Oh, this guy gets paid $5 million a year, we can't only play him 15 minutes a night. He has to played more than that''. I think this was an argument about Volchenkov and Salvador at the end.

One of the few things I give Hynes credit for, he hasn't seen it that way or gave him starts based on his contract and how much he gets paid. If he did that last year in March, we probably would have missed the playoffs.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Handing the keys to Blackwood when he hasn't had a full season of playing good professional hockey is a bad idea. That's aside from the obvious, which is having Cory be worth his contract for its duration.
I think the plan will be to split the duties pretty evenly between Cory and Mac kind of like they did with Brodeur and Terreri back in 94. If Mac can step it up he can take the reigns by the end of the year.

I also fully expect us to get a decent NHL experienced goalie to sit in Bing (kind of like Lack but hopefully better) just in case.

Reactions: New Jersey

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If Cory can hold up physically he is at least trending back in the right direction which was in doubt for most of the season. If he can maintain this sort of play for a reasonable number of games next season the team should have a chance again next year with some improved team defense and PP.

Reactions: New Jersey

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Cory must feel like a 10 ton weight has been lifted from his shoulders. I can only imagine how much not winning and/or playing well for so long must weigh on a goalie.
He's MOVING like he had 10 tons taken off him. He was SO sluggish getting across the crease before.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's MOVING like he had 10 tons taken off him. He was SO sluggish getting across the crease before.
Yeah, he looked like an old man that came out of retirement early on. Like a 50-something year old that had been retired for years. Curtis Joseph or Ron Tugnutt. Not even when he was being scored on, just during minute to minute play.

I can say he doesn't look like that anymore. His biggest weakness since coming back has been his rebounds, but they were pretty cleaned up tonight, outside of one or two in 3rd period that were a little poor.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Yeah, he looked like an old man that came out of retirement early on. Like a 50-something year old that had been retired for years. Curtis Joseph or Ron Tugnutt. Not even when he was being scored on, just during minute to minute play.

I can say he doesn't look like that anymore. His biggest weakness since coming back has been his rebounds, but they were pretty cleaned up tonight, outside of one or two in 3rd period that were a little poor.
Yeah. The Ginger was moving rather... gingerly before.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It's .935% after tonight.

I do think he's serviceable still, which I was 50/50 on a month ago. The question now is just how serviceable.

I'll admit, there was a stretch there where I thought he was totally finished. My view on it was that he was never going to be what he was when he first got here, which despite what some shmohawks on here says was an elite goalie, but he wasn't this sub .880 goalie either. Hopefully this is the nice medium.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I don't like this way of thinking. The last part, about Cory needing to be worth his contract. This implies that we need to play him the way he's paid. I've read these arguments for years, all over the forums and about players at all positions. It's not just about Cory or a goalie, but players at any position. ''Oh, this guy gets paid $5 million a year, we can't only play him 15 minutes a night. He has to played more than that''. I think this was an argument about Volchenkov and Salvador at the end.

One of the few things I give Hynes credit for, he hasn't seen it that way or gave him starts based on his contract and how much he gets paid. If he did that last year in March, we probably would have missed the playoffs.

That's not what I implied, or at least, not what I was trying to imply. I was trying to say that you want Cory to play like a starting 6 million dollar goalie, not that we should play him until he does.

Reactions: Bleedred

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
if cory plays next year the way he played tonight, his contract becomes an absolute steal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad