The NJ Devils Goaltender Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
beginning to think a lot of these goalie arguments are rooted in “NO I’M RIGHT BECAUSE I’M THE SMARTEST DEVILS FAN EVAR”

seriously our goalie situation is trash but we won a game today anyway. arguing about cory and keith, who will likely BOTH be gone in a year, this vehemently to where it borders literal insanity is peak hfdevils.

i mean, why is this a thread again? and for 16 pages? jesus.
I'm not arguing about Keith, he's almost definitely gone next year. Cory hopefully will be too.

Reactions: New Jersey

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
beginning to think a lot of these goalie arguments are rooted in “NO I’M RIGHT BECAUSE I’M THE SMARTEST DEVILS FAN EVAR”

As opposed to any other argument on this forum? Goaltending has been the most questionable position on our team for some time and it’s a lost season.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013

seriously our goalie situation is trash but we won a game today anyway. arguing about cory and keith, who will likely BOTH be gone in a year, this vehemently to where it borders literal insanity is peak hfdevils.

i mean, why is this a thread again? and for 16 pages? jesus.

Many flaws in your statement. I've never seen one person say, I'm the smartest devils fan ever, so listen to me.
The goalie situation isnt trash, the team defensive system is. Stick roy, Brodeur, hasek or any of the true elite goalies in our system, with our little talent on defense and you would see them underperform and struggle (according to those useless and flawed stats that people here strictly judge a goalie on).

To your point of both being gone.. I cant see that happening for a variety of reasons. There are no real options besides blackwood (and I'm not sold like most on here that hes the next savior). You need to keep either cory or kk.... but one of those 2 will be gone.

Get a better defensive system, and talent and both goalies would look 100%better then they do. Besides cory (and even hes limited them), the weak goals haven't been out of the norm for an nhl goalie.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It's a perfectly worthwhile thread but I wish there were a way to ignore Bleed mentioning Cory's save percentage since 2017. It gets cited at least 3 times a week. Everyone either already knows or isn't listening.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Many flaws in your statement. I've never seen one person say, I'm the smartest devils fan ever, so listen to me.
The goalie situation isnt trash, the team defensive system is. Stick roy, Brodeur, hasek or any of the true elite goalies in our system, with our little talent on defense and you would see them underperform and struggle (according to those useless and flawed stats that people here strictly judge a goalie on).

To your point of both being gone.. I cant see that happening for a variety of reasons. There are no real options besides blackwood (and I'm not sold like most on here that hes the next savior). You need to keep either cory or kk.... but one of those 2 will be gone.

Get a better defensive system, and talent and both goalies would look 100%better then they do. Besides cory (and even hes limited them), the weak goals haven't been out of the norm for an nhl goalie.
I just think Cory is finished. I'm not sure there's a way to make him look much better, other than facing 0 shots per game.

It doesn't mean he'll never play a good game again, but I don't think we'll ever see him perform at a respectable level for long term again.

Even in the eye test, he's been probably the worst goalie I've seen this year, although in very limited games. Calvin Pickard has definitely been about as bad or almost as bad though.

Garret Sparks for Toronto has been pretty lousy too, despite save percentage telling me he's not that bad.

You seem to flip flop on Cory though, as yesterday you said you wanted him off the team next year. If he's so average and it's the defensive system, then why yo you want him off the team?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's a perfectly worthwhile thread but I wish there were a way to ignore Bleed mentioning Cory's save percentage since 2017. It gets cited at least 3 times a week. Everyone either already knows or isn't listening.
I've actually cited it since November 2016. It would probably be below .900% if I just started at 2017. But that's a perfectly reasonable time to start counting back from, as this is when his play started downhill and it's 100+ games now. Almost 30% of his total career games played. I wasn't even going to bring it up, until Haak posted that little embedding of his save percentage since last December. With people still wanting to believe Cory will be good again or isn't as bad as these numbers indicate, I really don't think most are reading.

Or they just go ''LOL SaVe PeRcEnTaGe iZZ DuM!'' or talk about how injured Cory has been.

No shit, he's been injured. That pretty much crippled him.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
How many posts do we really need where the core point is "Cory hasn't been good for a while"? I mean Jesus Christ, we know.

It's true and has, frankly, been beaten to death. It's been researched, posted, and posted thirty more times every thread since then. Nobody's mind is blown anymore when you post Cory's stats from December 2017 until now.

What matters is how he plays now. We all know he was hurt and playing hurt. We all know he got serious surgery. We all know it takes a while to rehab from said injury and surgery. The focus on him needs to be what he does starting two starts ago, and what happens after that.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I wasn't even going to bring it up, until Haak posted that little embedding of his save percentage since last December. Will people still wanting to believe Cory will be good again or isn't as bad as these numbers indicate, I really don't think most are reading.

Or they just go ''LOL SaVe PeRcEnTaGe iZZ DuM!'' or talk about how injured Cory has been.

No ****, he's been injured. That pretty much crippled him.

I mean when the devils score 2 goals in a period and people are like why can’t they play that way for Cory?! Like that is preventing him from not being the worst goalie in the league for over a year is a little ridiculous.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How many posts do we really need where the core point is "Cory hasn't been good for a while"? I mean Jesus Christ, we know.

It's true and has, frankly, been beaten to death. It's been researched, posted, and posted thirty more times every thread since then. Nobody's mind is blown anymore when you post Cory's stats from December 2017 until now.

What matters is how he plays now. We all know he was hurt and playing hurt. We all know he got serious surgery. We all know it takes a while to rehab from said injury and surgery. The focus on him needs to be what he does starting two starts ago, and what happens after that.
And how long before we can say ''He is what he is now, time to pull the plug?''. How many more games do we need to see before it becomes acceptable enough to say that? Do we have to wait it out through next year? Or the year after? His age 34 season when he's 2 years removed from surgery and in all likelihood 4 years into decline?

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
And how long before we can say ''He is what he is now, time to pull the plug?''. How many more games do we need to see before it becomes acceptable enough to say that? Do we have to wait it out through next year? Or the year after? His age 34 season when he's 2 years removed from surgery and in all likelihood 4 years into decline?

Give him until the end of the season. We're not playing for the playoffs anyway, and he appears to have finally made some progress on the recovery front.

It's dishonest to say "He is what he is" because for the past two years-ish (Whatever that timeframe is), what "he is" is hurt.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i might not have said this on here but i agree. i don’t think anyone is *preventing* you.
Give him until the end of the season. We're not playing for the playoffs anyway, and he appears to have finally made some progress on the recovery front.

It's dishonest to say "He is what he is" because for the past two years-ish (Whatever that timeframe is), what "he is" is hurt.
Look, he's 33 years old (next month), he's had multiple injuries since the offseason of 2016 (I don't believe the hip was yet an issue) and the play has submarined from the top of the cliff to the bottom of the earth since then. This is a more drastic drop than what happened to Marty at the top of the decade.

I think my main reason for citing these stats is because this is my first reaction when I read ''It's the defense'' or ''He's injured'' or ''You can't buy him out! He might still be good! Our cap! AHHHH!!!!'' or people getting mad at me in a GDT for calling something a bad goal. It's at over 100 games now. Which is roughly 30% (almost) of his total career. He's getting up there in age. I'm not sure a goalie has been as bad as he has for over 100 games and ever returned to anything better than just serviceable again. Not in this era. Jeff Hackett played horribly behind an expansion Sharks team, then had some decent years in a decade span after this, but different situations. An expansion team, he was young and didn't go from being on the best in the game to one of the worst, he never was one of the best before that.

So honestly, I just want Cory gone after this year. I just don't think he can play anymore. I'm a huge non-believer that he'll ever be good again. I give it a 95% chance he's never gonna be good again and somewhere around a 50/50 that he might still be good enough to be an okay or serviceable backup, but no better than that.

As far as playing him the rest of the year? That's fine. I don't care anymore, but I think it would be in our best interest to somehow move on from him after this year. I don't see him getting better than the rate he's been at over the last 100+ games, but I do think there's a chance he'll be better than the .860%-something he's been over the last calendar year, but that's about it.

Rinne bounced back from some poor years, but they weren't quite as poor and I don't think it went over 100 games by then. He's been an .860%-something since the hip problem, but even in the stretch before that, he wasn't what he had been up until a year before that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
signed for 3 more seasons :facepalm:
It ends this June.

Really confident that it's gonna happen.

Maybe August (or whatever the second buyout window is) at the latest.

If he does win one more game, they should just shut him down after that and let him go out on a high note, but he's early 2010's Ricky DiPietro bad at this point. And since I'm supposed to disregard his save percentage since 2016 since he's been injured, even with that Islanders game, he's an .897% the last 3 games since coming back.

Last edited:

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Look, he's 33 years old (next month), he's had multiple injuries since the offseason of 2016 (I don't believe the hip was yet an issue) and the play has submarined from the top of the cliff to the bottom of the earth since then. This is a more drastic drop than what happened to Marty at the top of the decade.

I think my main reason for citing these stats is because this is my first reaction when I read ''It's the defense'' or ''He's injured'' or ''You can't buy him out! He might still be good! Our cap! AHHHH!!!!'' or people getting mad at me in a GDT for calling something a bad goal. It's at over 100 games now. Which is roughly 30% (almost) of his total career. He's getting up there in age. I'm not sure a goalie has been as bad as he has for over 100 games and ever returned to anything better than just serviceable again. Not in this era. Jeff Hackett played horribly behind an expansion Sharks team, then had some decent years in a decade span after this, but different situations. An expansion team, he was young and didn't go from being on the best in the game to one of the worst, he never was one of the best before that.

So honestly, I just want Cory gone after this year. I just don't think he can play anymore. I'm a huge non-believer that he'll ever be good again. I give it a 95% chance he's never gonna be good again and somewhere around a 50/50 that he might still be good enough to be an okay or serviceable backup, but no better than that.

As far as playing him the rest of the year? That's fine. I don't care anymore, but I think it would be in our best interest to somehow move on from him after this year. I don't see him getting better than the rate he's been at over the last 100+ games, but I do think there's a chance he'll be better than the .860%-something he's been over the last calendar year, but that's about it.

Rinne bounced back from some poor years, but they weren't quite as poor and I don't think it went over 100 games by then. He's been an .860%-something since the hip problem, but even in the stretch before that, he wasn't what he had been up until a year before that.

You have every right to believe that he's done and worth buying out, but calling goals "stoppable" when players absolutely snipe wide open in the slot is a bit much.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i'm starting to think cory might never win another game as a devil. no one saw this ending when they traded for him thats for sure.

absolutely you have to buy the guy out. i dont care about the recapture and neither should anyone else. this team is a bottom cap team and it will be until they decide not to be. i dont see any ufa coming here this summer to lift them off the floor and i'm questionable on hall resigning here.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
At this point, I'm just confused. I didn't watch the game last night, but did just watch the NHL condensed recap.

A problem our goalies are facing is that they're being put in positions that even just competent defending would stop from even occurring. Watch the shorty from last night. 5th goal I think. Why the hell is a dude getting chances to wack at a puck after that breakaway. Just miserable.

I'm not even sure what we have in our goaltending anymore. Both Cory and Kinks are playing too deep in their net. This is such a shitshow.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
At this point, I'm just confused. I didn't watch the game last night, but did just watch the NHL condensed recap.

A problem our goalies are facing is that they're being put in positions that even just competent defending would stop from even occurring. Watch the shorty from last night. 5th goal I think. Why the hell is a dude getting chances to wack at a puck after that breakaway. Just miserable.

I'm not even sure what we have in our goaltending anymore. Both Cory and Kinks are playing too deep in their net. This is such a ****show.

Blackwood next year baby. I'm very excited for him, we can all bash keith and cory the rest of the year I don't care. I think Blackwood is the goalie of the future, big athletic goalie who has learned how to be calm in net so he doesn't over commit.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Blackwood next year baby. I'm very excited for him, we can all bash keith and cory the rest of the year I don't care. I think Blackwood is the goalie of the future, big athletic goalie who has learned how to be calm in net so he doesn't over commit.

I am very, very hyped for some Blackwood. I'm glad he doesn't have to try and play behind this clown show.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You have every right to believe that he's done and worth buying out, but calling goals "stoppable" when players absolutely snipe wide open in the slot is a bit much.
He leaves way too much open space like he did on goal 2 last night. And the rebound on goal 4 was abysmal. Looked even worse on replay than in real time. A clean shot from the blue line that bounces either off his chest or out of his glove. It was terrible. He’s cooked. Finished. Time for the glue factory. Good chance he’s the worst goalie in the NHL.

The more I see him the more I’m convinced he’s not actually a poor goalie though. He just looks like a player that isn’t capable anymore.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i’m probably more tired of hearing about how cory’s finished than i am of watching him play at this point

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i’m probably more tired of hearing about how cory’s finished than i am of watching him play at this point
That’s funny. Because I’m almost as tired of having to read every excuse for him. From “He’s not Vezina level but he’s fine” to “The defense is bad” to “He’s been injured” and everything else.

He plays the most important position in the game and he’s arguably the worst in the league at that position. He’s a net negative at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad