The Next Step In Kadri's Evolution

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's not a cherry picked stat. It's the posters opinion and he may have a point that it's the next step he can take. The premise of the thread is basically what can he improve.

A stat is a stat, not an opinion. An opinion may be that a particular stat is relevant but to me, zeroing in on any one stat is cherry picking by definition.

To me the whole premise of the thread is dumb as there are probably a dozen or more players on our team who I would hope for improvement from before Kadri. Considering Kadri's age and the fact that he's already at such a high level, maintaining that level would be more than anyone can ask for. As an example, the same goes for JT, he's the same age as Kadri and I'd be thrilled if he can maintain his level as a ~top 10 player, not looking for any "evolution" from him either.

JMHO.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
A stat is a stat, not an opinion. An opinion may be that a particular stat is relevant but to me, zeroing in on any one stat is cherry picking by definition.

To me the whole premise of the thread is dumb as there are probably a dozen or more players on our team who I would hope for improvement from before Kadri. Considering Kadri's age and the fact that he's already at such a high level, maintaining that level would be more than anyone can ask for. As an example, the same goes for JT, he's the same age as Kadri and I'd be thrilled if he can maintain his level as a ~top 10 player, not looking for any "evolution" from him either.

JMHO.
I think it's 100 % valid. No one is more directly affected by JTs signing than Kadri. So evolution is inevitable for Kadri and JT, as JT will now be a #2c potentially for the first time in his career. Players always need to evolve.

Reactions: Pookie

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Not to nitpick but IMO if you can score 30+ goals and do it more than once you're a star level player, especially if you are driving offense rather than leeching off a great player, like Moulson with Tavares. Though everyone defines star differently. For me I also separate star vs superstar/franchise player.

Kadri is also kinda unique in the sense that he has clout from being a minority and only Muslim player. That's given him a strong following and dedicated fanbase.
stars don't have career high's of 61 points and 30 assists. the only thing noteworthy he has done is score 30 goals in back to back seasons. he also doesn't drive the offence whatsoever. that should have been clearly evident when marner was placed on his line and uplifted his production.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
stars don't have career high's of 61 points and 30 assists. the only thing noteworthy he has done is score 30 goals in back to back seasons. he also doesn't drive the offence whatsoever. that should have been clearly evident when marner was placed on his line and uplifted his production.

Here's some food for thought. Hungry?

Marner with Kadri: 5.58 GF/60, 2.09 GA/60
Marner without Kadri: 2.83 GF/60, 2.91 GA/60

Still hungry? Kadri also scored 30 the previous year when he wasn't playing with Marner.

It's almost like when you put two stars together and they mesh well they both see increases in production. Cool!

Reactions: IPS and 1specter

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Still hungry? Kadri also scored 30 the previous year when he wasn't playing with Marner.

It's almost like when you put two stars together and they mesh well they both see increases in production. Cool!
Anish showed a long time his opinions are pretty bad and not grounded in fact, no point in arguing with him.

Also Kadri leads the league in power play G/60 by a considerable margin over the last two seasons.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Anish showed a long time his opinions are pretty bad and not grounded in fact, no point in arguing with him.

Also Kadri leads the league in power play G/60 by a considerable margin over the last two seasons.

True, I was trying to politely educate but you're right. My ignore list has only 2 people on it, I've been toying with the idea of not being so reluctant to use that option but I just may change that, watch the list rapidly grow to 20 or so and see if I enjoy this place more.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Your job is not to drive offense as a shutdown center

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Who drove the offence for him and his line during the 16-17 season?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

i wasn't disputing that. i was disputing that kadri isn't a star, which is true. he needed someone to help him produce, and stars don't need that. marner isn't a star either. he's a very good player that will probably be a star in the future.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
i wasn't disputing that. i was disputing that kadri isn't a star, which is true. he needed someone to help him produce, and stars don't need that. marner isn't a star either. he's a very good player that will probably be a star in the future.

Star is a subjective term.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Why do you keep spewing blatantly false nonsense?

Kadri scored 32 goals and 61 points playing primarily with Leo Komarov and Connor Brown. How in the holy f*** does he need "someone to help him produce."

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why do you keep spewing blatantly false nonsense?

Kadri scored 32 goals and 61 points playing primarily with Leo Komarov and Connor Brown. How in the holy **** does he need "someone to help him produce."

Maybe he means that without any line-mates at all he wouldn't score much?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'm not disagreeing about who he is or isn't as a player, to be clear. I think the same type of argument could be made about Matthews too. But that is not the premise of this thread. Is it cherry picking if the poster says he may not be a good passer at this stage of his evolution? The stats do back up that position. The premise of the post is what is the next step in his evolution, and I happen to think there may be some merit to what the poster said. It's another step he could take in his evolution. Which would make the Leafs even more deadly.

I'm just so looking forward to puck drop running these guys 1-3!
Liked by the same biased post again
Kadri is a good passer. One stat doesnt change that. Its like me saying Matthews is a terrible goal scorer based on PP goals.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This would be an excellent reply if one were trying to provide a rebuttal to someone attacking Kadri, which was NOT the case.

The premise of this thread is "what is the next step in Kadri's evolution". The poster had his opinion as to what he thought Kadri could improve. Why the rush to defend? It's the poster's opinion. I don't think he is wrong, he could become even better if he became a touch more unpredictable.

Are we just going to say "Nothing, he's the best that ever lived?" The whole premise is what is or should be next step in his evolution. There really should be zero need to defend.
Nobody said he was attacking, but the poster that liked your post attacks him all the time.
That opinion is wrong, thats why the rush to defend. Look at old Kadri threads, and then you will understand the fans defend him from irrational critics.
Are we just going to go "Kadri is the worst thing ever"

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Kadri's a fine passer, one cherry picked stat is not an argument. I'm more than happy with his #1C level production with tough usage over the last two years and would be more than happy if he can maintain that level for another year or two or three but hey, if you think there may be another stage coming in his "evolution" that's great, I hope you're right.
Liked

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
to a certain degree it is. most people wouldn't think a 60 point guy or a 50 point guy is a star.
Kadri is 17th in goals scored over the last two seasons. He's literally in the top 3% of goal scorers. Hell, he only has one less goal than Tavares who is considered a bonafide star and borderline franchise player.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Again....we are in a thread asking what is the next step Kadri could/should take in his evolution. The poster said become a better passer. Is this truly an illogical reason? The premise of the thread is to ask what can he improve to be even better that he is now. The poster wasn't saying he sucks.

I really think people need to stop rushing to defend, and to remember what the title/premise of this whole thread is. This is an opinion based thread on what people think he could do to be better. Whether you or I disagree, people are allowed to present their opinions.
So your saying the supporters of a player shouldnt defend him?
Then I will go the opposite, the critics shouldnt criticize a player.
If people are allowed to present their opinion, then why are you going after the posters who are defending the player? Isnt that also an opinion?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It's not a cherry picked stat. It's the posters opinion and he may have a point that it's the next step he can take. The premise of the thread is basically what can he improve.
It is a cherry picked stat. The poster has been downgrading Kadri based on things that dont make sense. The premise of the thread is what he can actually improve, not what the poster makes up that Kadri can improve on. Its not the same thing.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Kadri is 17th in goals scored over the last two seasons. He's literally in the top 3% of goal scorers. Hell, he only has one less goal than Tavares who is considered a bonafide star and borderline franchise player.
Liked

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad