OT: The Newer OT Thread III and Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
It's not small indie films like Yoga Hosers (and the predecessor Tusk) that have hurt Depp's career. It's continuous big budget Hollywood bombs like The Lone Ranger, Transcendence and Mordecai.

I actually didn't mind the lone ranger. thought he played his role quite well.
I know it was a bomb, but the critics seemed to hate it before seeing it.

didn't bother with those other two. Depp has had quite an eclectic career.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Very interesting that Pearl Jam moved their Toronto concert from yesterday to today so that the Raps could play last night.

Curious how a decision like that was made.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Very interesting that Pearl Jam moved their Toronto concert from yesterday to today so that the Raps could play last night.

Curious how a decision like that was made.

They no longer hate ticketmaster?

They're no longer first listers and reduced to do as they're told status and collaborating with Beyoncé, Kanye West?

They want a return to making money and will sell out and collaborate with Justin Bieber or the devil to do so..

Was that a rhetorical question?;)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Of course, but it's all of it. He's done a slew of terrible movies both big and small the past few years.

And please don't anyone tell me Tusk was good. I watched the entire thing. Was absolutely ridiculous, and he was *intentionally* terrible in it.

Black Mass was a major disappointment by most people's standards and even though he put forth an IMO great performance as Whitey Bulger, it was largely overlooked and the movie was just mediocre.

I think the last good thing I saw him in, both performance and movie was Sweeney Todd. Guy was a great actor in his prime but I guess his best days are behind him now.

His portrayal in Sweeney Tood was predictable as forgettable.

How could anybody not like him in The Rum Diary which was another HST yarn and has been the gist of his best work. Watch it if you haven't.

Depp sold out long ago and it was movies like Sweeney Todd, Alice, Pirates (he actually did that franchise well) that did it.

However, he's too intelligent, and interesting not to land on some good scripts and performances in his twilight. But a little less mad hatters please..

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
They no longer hate ticketmaster?

They're no longer first listers and reduced to do as they're told status and collaborating with Beyoncé, Kanye West?

They want a return to making money and will sell out and collaborate with Justin Bieber or the devil to do so..

Was that a rhetorical question?;)

They lost the lawsuit and lack other options.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
They lost the lawsuit and lack other options.

Yeah. both.

I liked Pearl Jam but they were in the where are they now file? With Eddie Vedder trying to market anywhere he can. For being part of a grunge movement that was so much the antithesis to pop music industry he sure has relented in a lot of ways. If he was singing duets with Barbra Streisand I'd hardly be surprised at this point.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Yeah. both.

I liked Pearl Jam but they were in the where are they now file? With Eddie Vedder trying to market anywhere he can. For being part of a grunge movement that was so much the antithesis to pop music industry he sure has relented in a lot of ways. If he was singing duets with Barbra Streisand I'd hardly be surprised at this point.

part of getting older I suppose. priorities change.
seems most of us rage less against the machine and more just exist as part of it.
they can't all be like Henry Rollins.

Heck, I'd now rather raise my feet onto my couch than go out and raise hell.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How ****ing stupid is this Travis Vader? Caught stealing copper wire and a truck, and fails a drug test.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
How ****ing stupid is this Travis Vader? Caught stealing copper wire and a truck, and fails a drug test.

It's utterly ridiculous. This guy dumb as a bag of hammers and a career criminal to boot. How he was out on bail and isn't in prison yet is beyond me.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
This may be controversial. I've never cheered for a Calgary team but I'm cheering for them against the Saskatchewan Rush this weekend. I can't overlook the Rush owner moving the team. Speaking of which, the Riders have become my most hated team.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Going to see the Elton John Ballet thats in town tomorrow night, has anyone seen it yet? Called Love Lies Bleeding.

Edit: Definitely not my cup of tea, but both people I went with are pretty big ballet fans and liked it. So if any of you are in the mood to watch some dancing and prancing check it out sometime.

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Going to see the Elton John Ballet thats in town tomorrow night, has anyone seen it yet? Called Love Lies Bleeding.

Edit: Definitely not my cup of tea, but both people I went with are pretty big ballet fans and liked it. So if any of you are in the mood to watch some dancing and prancing check it out sometime.

ballet is one of those things I just don't "get"
I just don't enjoy it. to me, it's the soccer of the dance world.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Toronto Raptors, off to the ECF, against Lebron James and the Cavs. First time in franchise history. Plenty of room on the bandwagon folks!

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Toronto Raptors, off to the ECF, against Lebron James and the Cavs. First time in franchise history. Plenty of room on the bandwagon folks!

Pretty envious of Toronto... two big playoff runs in two major sports back-to-back.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
hedley, and carly rae Jepsen on a double bill barely scratch 8K at rexall. People keep telling me the music industry is fine and these type of acts can do headline shows. lol

meanwhile Beyoncé, who I keep hearing is a superstar has around 30K tickets sold at Commonwealth. About 30K short of a sellout.

Man, when all the dinosaurs of rock either all retire or die who's going to be selling out arenas and stadiums here?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Assuming this is the same show I saw a couple of years ago, I really quite enjoyed it. I'd never seen ballet before and Elton John is pretty hit and miss for me.

But it really worked well together and I remember coming away thoroughly impressed.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
hedley, and carly rae Jepsen on a double bill barely scratch 8K at rexall. People keep telling me the music industry is fine and these type of acts can do headline shows. lol

meanwhile Beyoncé, who I keep hearing is a superstar has around 30K tickets sold at Commonwealth. About 30K short of a sellout.

Man, when all the dinosaurs of rock either all retire or die who's going to be selling out arenas and stadiums here?

If "all the single ladies" had dates. It would have been a sellout. :sarcasm:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Pretty envious of Toronto... two big playoff runs in two major sports back-to-back.

No shame in tagging on from out west here. This ain't hockey. I've been cheering for this team since 95, paying close attention since '98-99... it's not a deep Oilers playoff run while I'm living in the home city, but for me it's an easy next best thing. Yeah it's got to be fun being in Toronto. The Raptors have been criminally underrated, if not altogether ignored by the sports media south of the border. Flat out refuse to give them credit, particularly ESPN. At least the Jays have some history so they have a following across the country here and people are aware of the Jays down south. Raptors have been pretty underwhelming for the greater part of the past 20 years, and people aren't as big on basketball here as in other parts of the country. This is a huge run they're on. I hope people start watching because they're a blood and guts team with some humble, likeable players.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
No shame in tagging on from out west here. This ain't hockey. I've been cheering for this team since 95, paying close attention since '98-99... it's not a deep Oilers playoff run while I'm living in the home city, but for me it's an easy next best thing. Yeah it's got to be fun being in Toronto. The Raptors have been criminally underrated, if not altogether ignored by the sports media south of the border. Flat out refuse to give them credit, particularly ESPN. At least the Jays have some history so they have a following across the country here and people are aware of the Jays down south. Raptors have been pretty underwhelming for the greater part of the past 20 years, and people aren't as big on basketball here as in other parts of the country. This is a huge run they're on. I hope people start watching because they're a blood and guts team with some humble, likeable players.

Its basketball, who cares?

Just not a huge sport in WC anyway.

I prefer to ignore anything emanating from the center of the universe in anycase.

But the NBA doesn't even register in Canada. Hardly anybody outside of Toronto is even interested.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/canadians-dont-care-about-thenba/article30015716/

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
ballet is one of those things I just don't "get"
I just don't enjoy it. to me, it's the soccer of the dance world.

I'm right there with you, it's not something that speaks my language nor something I'd make an effort to plan on my own. They sure did sweat the small stuff to make a good show. Some of the outfits were grand :laugh:

Assuming this is the same show I saw a couple of years ago, I really quite enjoyed it. I'd never seen ballet before and Elton John is pretty hit and miss for me.

But it really worked well together and I remember coming away thoroughly impressed.

It was fun to go with people that get excited over ballet and Elton John. A few refreshments helped too! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany