OT: The Newer OT Thread III and Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'm quite glad that the city is going to let the rodeo go.
looks like the cowboys were offered a chance to show loyalty to the city and get an incredible deal and didn't want it.
be interesting what the mayor says.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/05/04/edmonton-mayor-don-iveson-expected-to-announce-citys-decision-to-not-bid-for-canadian-finals-rodeo

"The old purse, at Northlands, was $1.589 million. Our offer was two million. The old total for the stock contract was $540,000. Our offer was $750,000. The housing fee or rights fee for the event at Northlands was $68,000. Our offer was $300,000.”
“Through OEG and the city contributions, we were able to get the purse/stock contract up to $3.25 million.

“The total proposal went from a value of $3.1 million to $4.46 million. Above that, in the last offer, we added 100% of the merchandising.

“I put together a TV deal very similar to the one I used to build the World Junior,” said the former president of Hockey Canada.
He said the plan included to provide suites and loge hospitality areas for the families, a family room at arena level for them and more.
“It would have been the same calibre of facilities for them that we provide the Oilers.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I don't want the rodeo to leave but Edmonton has done all it can with a 44-per-cent increase in financial considerations. It does bother me that Saskatoon seems likely to get the rodeo, after the ****ing Riders taking almost all of the Eskimos' coaching staff and some key players. Anyway....

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't want the rodeo to leave but Edmonton has done all it can with a 44-per-cent increase in financial considerations. It does bother me that Saskatoon seems likely to get the rodeo, after the ****ing Riders taking almost all of the Eskimos' coaching staff and some key players. Anyway....

The only reason they are going to get it is because no one else is putting a bid in. Even Saskatoon, is having doubts.

It's rather funny to be honest.

I wonder if this will be like Earls, where the CFR comes begging back only to get less money than what was being offered.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

New Chili Peppers is not bad.

I can already tell it's not produced by Rick Rubin, it actually has tolerable sound quality.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The only reason they are going to get it is because no one else is putting a bid in. Even Saskatoon, is having doubts.

I wonder if this will be like Earls, where the CFR comes begging back only to get less money than what was being offered.

Earls pretended to come begging back. There is nothing that they have said that any of the beef they buy will come from Canada, and if it does Canadian farmers will still have to pay an American middleman to get their fancy sticker on it.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

too late perhaps. there is already another plan in place with PBR.

whatever happened to Calgary making a bid for the CFR?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Crazy weather.

multiple times so far this spring where its gotten to 28C, beautiful weather, and a drop to 0- 10C within a 24hr period. With every instance featuring hammering winds and incredibly different pressure systems, and wait for it, no rain..never really rain. Even the 3 apparent *rainy* days last week yielded mere mm's of rain. Hardly a trace.

Its like a weather rollercoaster of crazy. I sure hope they're not seeing this 60km/hr wind tunnel in Ft McMurray right now.

I'd rather see rain than this wind **** starting fires all over the province in already tinder dry conditions.

Its May 8 and ground and soil conditions are bone dry. people that haven't been watering lawn have dead grass. When is it ever this dry in spring.

Also, the dry conditions are so severe there is a fire ban ACROSS the province and a current ban on ANY rec ATV or offroad use.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Next. Without rain in next 2weeks this year will also be another unprecedented agricultural disaster for the province. You literally can't even seed without enormous watering. These dry conditions support nothing. Not even worth planting for farmers.

So we have here in the province an Oil price disaster, and ongoing economy collapse.
Add no new pipelines to transport that Oil anyway.
Now add massive Ft Mc production shutdowns that will be of unknown length and with this fire likely burning until snowfall.
Forestry being impacted by forests burning up all over the province.
Agriculture screwed yet another season.

I would say when it rains it pours but we actually use some of that.

Man, this province is just getting hammered with the worst fortune.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Next. Without rain in next 2weeks this year will also be another unprecedented agricultural disaster for the province. You literally can't even seed without enormous watering. These dry conditions support nothing. Not even worth planting for farmers.

So we have here in the province an Oil price disaster, and ongoing economy collapse.
Add no new pipelines to transport that Oil anyway.
Now add massive Ft Mc production shutdowns that will be of unknown length and with this fire likely burning until snowfall.
Forestry being impacted by forests burning up all over the province.
Agriculture screwed yet another season.

I would say when it rains it pours but we actually use some of that.

Man, this province is just getting hammered with the worst fortune.

And our taxes are going up.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
And our taxes are going up.

All of them. man..

Anyway, anybody check outside? 24hrs ago it was 28C on the deck, drinking wine, mighty fine, beautiful night, no wind.

This evening it is 5C as I speak, 50-60K gusting winds and things flying around.

All this variation within 24hrs.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
All of them. man..

Anyway, anybody check outside? 24hrs ago it was 28C on the deck, drinking wine, mighty fine, beautiful night, no wind.

This evening it is 5C as I speak, 50-60K gusting winds and things flying around.

All this variation within 24hrs.

Today was certainly a fun bike ride. Heh.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
so there were about 50 complaints to police on the weekend in Edmonton for people using their backyard fire pits.

what selfish idiots. how could anyone this that's ok? grrrrrrr

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
so there were about 50 complaints to police on the weekend in Edmonton for people using their backyard fire pits.

what selfish idiots. how could anyone this that's ok? grrrrrrr

I heard that. I just couldn't believe it. I honestly don't know what rock you are living under to not know this. I'd say maybe you were out of country and didn't realize, but even then this news is all over the place.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I heard that. I just couldn't believe it. I honestly don't know what rock you are living under to not know this. I'd say maybe you were out of country and didn't realize, but even then this news is all over the place.

Firstly, I at first misread your post and thought you were calling out Gord for hiding under a rock, but now realize your talking about the people with their fire pits :laugh:. Secondly, I was shocked people were that stupid to have a fire when they called a province wide ban on fire. Wow. What morons. I hope they got fined heavily. :shakehead

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Firstly, I at first misread your post and thought you were calling out Gord for hiding under a rock, but now realize your talking about the people with their fire pits :laugh:. Secondly, I was shocked people were that stupid to have a fire when they called a province wide ban on fire. Wow. What morons. I hope they got fined heavily. :shakehead

The news I heard was they were going to remind people they can't have fires. Not sure if that included a fine or just a warning. Should be a fine though. Wasting tax payers dollars to remind you that you are an idiot should be offset with a fine.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The Forest Fire Prevention Act over here in Ontario has some pretty hefty fines.

I'd guess Alberta's equivalent is around the same. Likely somewhere around $500 for starting a fire during a fire ban.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Hopefully some folks who have been slammed with joblessness can find a little work doing construction in Fort Mac in the near future. That's about the only upside to this whole disaster.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Hopefully some folks who have been slammed with joblessness can find a little work doing construction in Fort Mac in the near future. That's about the only upside to this whole disaster.

I remember when Hurricane Andrew hit Florida back in the 90s there were lots of news reports of people trying to get homes rebuilt and it was huge gongshow. Insurance would pay claims but you couldn't find any builders to do the reconstruction. Fraudsters saw an opportunity and moved in posting as qualified builders from another states taking payment to rebuild homes and only doing 10-20% of the work before bolting to another town and doing the same scam all over again.

Hopefully, things don't happen in that manner in Fort Mac and people don't start forking out their cash out of desperation to the first warm body that says they can build a house. However, i remember in the boom years (~2006-2014) here in AB hearing lots of out of province builders coming to Alberta to take advantage of the hot economy and leaving mid-project.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Should take this opportunity to recommend everybody understand your home insurance policy. Companies talk about covering things like hotels and rent until you can get back into your home. But it may not be as much as you think.

When I lost my condo due to the flooding caused by putting a fire out above me, I learned that my upper limit was 50% of my insured contents, not my condo. At 10 months, when I could move back into my own place, I was getting close to paying out of my own pocket.

Probably don't need to revisit your dollars insured every year, but don't go too many years without validating what you have insured with what you need insured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad