OT: The Newer OT Thread III and Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah i'm getting blasted with those pop ups too and this morning I got one telling me its being update on May 30th despite my constant clicking no or closing the pop ups. Itsbloody annoying

What will happen is one day you'll get a slightly different message saying when will you download windows 10. Not if, when, and it makes you schedule it. I foolishly (I guess) pressed ignore message option and then next time I cam to computer I was on a screen where I had to download before my computer would load.

Tons of people are complaining about this.

The weirdest thing is windows is more like going back to windows 7. They've done away with a lot of the Windows 8 page navigation stuff. They put back the start menu. Really all it seems like is a fullscale surrender by Windows to go back with what they had in the first place before they introduce the "new coke"

Really Microsoft could have saved a lot of time and aggravation and just continued the Windows 7 direction. Which they've now done anyway.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
What will happen is one day you'll get a slightly different message saying when will you download windows 10. Not if, when, and it makes you schedule it. I foolishly (I guess) pressed ignore message option and then next time I cam to computer I was on a screen where I had to download before my computer would load.

Tons of people are complaining about this.

The weirdest thing is windows is more like going back to windows 7. They've done away with a lot of the Windows 8 page navigation stuff. They put back the start menu. Really all it seems like is a fullscale surrender by Windows to go back with what they had in the first place before they introduce the "new coke"

Really Microsoft could have saved a lot of time and aggravation and just continued the Windows 7 direction. Which they've now done anyway.

Funny thing is I currently have Windows 7 :laugh:

I dont understand how they feel this kind of pestering is good marketing. I'm aware of the new product and I'll acquire it when I feel I need to. On top of that I'll most likely be replacing my current laptop anyway.

It seems like such a waste of time effort and resources on their part.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

I dont understand how they feel this kind of pestering is good marketing. I'm aware of the new product and I'll acquire it when I feel I need to. On top of that I'll most likely be replacing my current laptop anyway.

I'm envious. One of the times I had to do a reformat I had no option but to load 8. Would've preferred to stay with 7 obviously. Wow, you managed to avoid the whole Windows 8 cluster****. Still wondering what that was trying to be. Sure wasn't suited for a basic homecomputer.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

I think they realize that they had such a hard time getting people away from XP that they are doing everything in their power not to have the same issues.

In their books it makes their lives significantly easier to have people mad in the short term by being tricked into using Windows 10, but not having to support an outdated OS. For the most part people are not going to stop using Windows (and switch to a Mac for example) over something like this, so they will just take a bunch of complaining but if they have a huge number of people (particularly lower knowledge users) using the newest OS it's much easier for them from a support perspective.

Sure, there are a number of people who can use Windows 7 and will keep it updated and patched fully so it's not a security issue. However, there are WAY more people who won't do that and will let it slip into a wide open and easy to break OS that has issues. So they fool most of the population into using it and it clears up a ton of headaches for themselves (sure they get some PR mess out of it but relative to the mess that they had with people refusing to upgrade from XP - and still NOT upgrading from XP - it's well worth it).

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
why do you run on the road?

Depends. Sometimes it's in much better condition than the sidewalk, sometimes it's because there are vehicles backed out onto driveways and it's easier to just stay on the road. Sometimes there is no sidewalk at all.

Probably if there was a great piece of sidewalk that ran the entire way I would stay on the sidewalk though.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
can you elaborate? when I go for runs I usually am on the edge of the road, not on the sidewalk, depending on the neighbourhood

In the worst neighborhoods running on the center line or merging onto the freeway might be safer..;)

why do you run on the road?

Thanks for asking. Risky habit. How do you run on roads with parked cars all over the place? Its one thing for a cyclist to do this but bicycles are moving faster and are not supposed to be on the sidewalk (unless multiuse trail or kids cycling)

Running on roads makes less sense except maybe from the perspective that the asphalt could have more give to it than concrete sidewalks. That said though it makes much more sense to be running in fields, parks, ravines, where theres more terrain and trails that offer more give than concrete sidewalks.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
not a runner. cyclist.

i was walking with my friend who is an avid runner the other day. the subject came up about why exactly some runners choose to run on roadway over the sidewalk. he said that the reason he and many others do this is because the road is smoother than the sidewalk. i literally stopped in my tracks.

we make roads smooth for cars and force runners off the sidewalks. why do we accommodate cars more than we accommodate pedestrians?

i admit that i am very militant in my belief that the city belongs to the pedestrian first and foremost but i was genuinely befuddled at this notion. why do we have smooth roads and bumpy sidewalks?

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
not a runner. cyclist.

i was walking with my friend who is an avid runner the other day. the subject came up about why exactly some runners choose to run on roadway over the sidewalk. he said that the reason he and many others do this is because the road is smoother than the sidewalk. i literally stopped in my tracks.

we make roads smooth for cars and force runners off the sidewalks. why do we accommodate cars more than we accommodate pedestrians?

i admit that i am very militant in my belief that the city belongs to the pedestrian first and foremost but i was genuinely befuddled at this notion. why do we have smooth roads and bumpy sidewalks?

Roads are for cars. Sidewalks are for pedestrians. How hard is it to figure out?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Roads are for cars. Sidewalks are for pedestrians. How hard is it to figure out?

I don't run in highly urban areas a lot of the time though, so in a situation where there are really good sidewalks I would probably run on the sidewalk a lot more.

Right now though, running against the traffic on roads is by far the best option for much of my own running.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

Jordan sad face meme should be on Bettman, no? Sad face for NBA because of the later start time? Pregame show for G7 starts at the same time of the SCF, and it's first G7 in WCF since 2002. I'm pretty sure the ratings will crush the G1 of the SCF.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Jordan sad face meme should be on Bettman, no? Sad face for NBA because of the later start time? Pregame show for G7 starts at the same time of the SCF, and it's first G7 in WCF since 2002. I'm pretty sure the ratings will crush the G1 of the SCF.

Haha, yeah that's the joke. Bettman sees that the games are on at the same time...hence he turns into sad Jordan.

Bad timing for ratings for the NHL to face that game on the 30th.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Haha, yeah that's the joke. Bettman sees that the games are on at the same time...hence he turns into sad Jordan.

Bad timing for ratings for the NHL to face that game on the 30th.

lol I didn't see the NHL logo in the background of the second pick... thought it was supposed to be David Silver. I'm going to pvr G1 and try to watch both.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
not a runner. cyclist.

Heres another one for you that I've addressed with the City. Front car garages, winter climate, the bane of all sidewalk users as every one of them has a sloped sidewalk which is conducive to cars, but not walking on when its icy. People have slopped, twisted ankles at this and other non uniform sidewalk configurations and yet they persist in the sloped driveways instead of level sidewalk. If anything tells you what the city designs things for its that. There should be a continuous curbed sidewalk regardless of drive way. People that need a front driveway can buy the recycled rubber curb ramp.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Explain sloped sidewalks accommodating front car driveway then. As I just mentioned with bit of insanity in a winter climate. Those are either icy in winter, pools of water in the spring, and in no way accommodate walking. These like I say are instances wherein even sidewalks are made to cater to driver instead of pedestrian. Stuff like that should deserve a rethink. Its actually more expensive to have those driveway slopes instead of regular curb sidewalk as well. Yet we pay for this? Why? Any resident in the city with a front faced drive should have the same front sidewalk, i.e. curbed, as everybody else.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Explain sloped sidewalks accommodating front car driveway then. As I just mentioned with bit of insanity in a winter climate. Those are either icy in winter, pools of water in the spring, and in no way accommodate walking. These like I say are instances wherein even sidewalks are made to cater to driver instead of pedestrian. Stuff like that should deserve a rethink. Its actually more expensive to have those driveway slopes instead of regular curb sidewalk as well. Yet we pay for this? Why? Any resident in the city with a front faced drive should have the same front sidewalk, i.e. curbed, as everybody else.

TBH, my real beef is with the design of cities in Alberta. I've lived in a town in New Brunswick where the city counsel realized years ago that building a network of paved walking/cycling trails was a good idea and took care of many of the problems mentioned here. They made the developers of neighborhood incorporate these trails as part of their design and made sure it connected with existing trails. The end result over time as the city expanded was an excellent network of paved trails that allows anyone to walk or bike anywhere in town away from motorists. That way cars could move freely & park without sacrificing space for pedestrians and cyclists.

However, here in Alberta it seems until recently that neighborhoods were designed to slap in as many houses on a piece of land as possible without adding the necessary infrastructure for cyclists and pedestrians. It doesn't make sense to me that cities allow builders to build a bunch of townhouses with no driveways (or very small driveway) and think there will be enough room for cyclists and pedestrians when everyone parks their vehicles on the side of the road.

One of my pet peeve as a cyclist is when groups of joggers are running 2 or 3 wide on the road and making me come to a complete stop because traffic is coming up behind me and i'm the one who gets squeezed out when there's a perfectly good sidewalk on the other side of these godforsaken parked cars. Another pet peeve is a single runner with earbuds who can't hear nothing running all over the place and can't hear me or cars coming behind them. Some pedestrians are idiots. Just like some cyclists and motorists are idiots too.

There simply isn't enough room on the road for oncoming traffic, cyclists, parked cars and runners. I get it that the sidewalks suck in the winter time and are poorly designed or in poor condition but at some point we need to draw the line somewhere. Having lived in a town with a little foresight, I much prefer a solution that puts cyclists and pedestrians on its own infrastructure rather than figuring out how all these groups of users are supposed to share the same space. Roads are built for cars so keep it that way. Get cities to build better infrastructure for cyclists and pedestrians. Obviously, a big city like Edmonton won't be able to adapt in dense areas like city centre and older areas that were built 50 years ago. However, i don't think there's much of an excuse in most residential & newer areas to exclude paved trails for pedestrian and cyclists.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
TBH, my real beef is with the design of cities in Alberta. I've lived in a town in New Brunswick where the city counsel realized years ago that building a network of paved walking/cycling trails was a good idea and took care of many of the problems mentioned here. They made the developers of neighborhood incorporate these trails as part of their design and made sure it connected with existing trails. The end result over time as the city expanded was an excellent network of paved trails that allows anyone to walk or bike anywhere in town away from motorists. That way cars could move freely & park without sacrificing space for pedestrians and cyclists.

However, here in Alberta it seems until recently that neighborhoods were designed to slap in as many houses on a piece of land as possible without adding the necessary infrastructure for cyclists and pedestrians. It doesn't make sense to me that cities allow builders to build a bunch of townhouses with no driveways (or very small driveway) and think there will be enough room for cyclists and pedestrians when everyone parks their vehicles on the side of the road.

One of my pet peeve as a cyclist is when groups of joggers are running 2 or 3 wide on the road and making me come to a complete stop because traffic is coming up behind me and i'm the one who gets squeezed out when there's a perfectly good sidewalk on the other side of these godforsaken parked cars. Another pet peeve is a single runner with earbuds who can't hear nothing running all over the place and can't hear me or cars coming behind them. Some pedestrians are idiots. Just like some cyclists and motorists are idiots too.

There simply isn't enough room on the road for oncoming traffic, cyclists, parked cars and runners. I get it that the sidewalks suck in the winter time and are poorly designed or in poor condition but at some point we need to draw the line somewhere. Having lived in a town with a little foresight, I much prefer a solution that puts cyclists and pedestrians on its own infrastructure rather than figuring out how all these groups of users are supposed to share the same space. Roads are built for cars so keep it that way. Get cities to build better infrastructure for cyclists and pedestrians. Obviously, a big city like Edmonton won't be able to adapt in dense areas like city centre and older areas that were built 50 years ago. However, i don't think there's much of an excuse in most residential & newer areas to exclude paved trails for pedestrian and cyclists.
They are done that way to make things more affordable. If you want to move to an area that has more infrastructure then you need to look around. There are areas that have trails throughout them others have nothing.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
As a runner I just assume everyone is going to try and kill me. That seems to keep me on my toes.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Very little priority seems to be put on pedestrians, multi trailer users, commuters. I'll cite this. Even in the building of the Century Park LRT line one would figure, being that its an alternate transportation mode, that the line and its right of way/underpasses would also allow a transportation ribbon for cyclists, multi users. Instead its a hodge podge terrible corridor for cyclists that has the bike trail switching at times from the west to east section of the corridor and not an effective commuter option at all. Opportunity missed. Doubt they get it right for the Valley line corridor either. Even though myself and many others have lobbied for parallel multi-user ROW.

These are huge opportunites lost in establishing effective ROW pedestrian/vehicle corridors and once they are completed there is no going back to do it right.

Also, we're moving in the wrong direction. When Whitemud Freeway was established in the West end decades ago several pedestrian bridges were built to traverse it. Yet when the last parts of the south section of Whitemud were completed not one pedestrian overpass has been established east of 111st. Not one.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
This is crazy but there were 10 inches of hail 1 km from my house last night and my yard never got any of it - just lots of rain. I got lucky as I had just planted a new perennial bed and the plants got a lot of water but didn't get crushed by hail.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Very little priority seems to be put on pedestrians, multi trailer users, commuters. ...

Even worse, they built the new square at the Leg, meant specifically for pedestrians, and do a terrible job with East - West flow. Flower gardens at both 108th and 107th basically screw up anybody crossing streets. Then they have thrown two parking lot barriers (ugly and old) to block traffic on either side of the dancing lights. Style over substance design followed by ugly and crappy substance to mess up the style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad