OT: The Newer OT Thread III and Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Very impressive way to close out the series by the Raps. I hope they carry that momentum forward through to the next round. Cleveland is formidable, but with a little luck and both Lowry and Derozan firing like this next series there's some hope.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Very impressive way to close out the series by the Raps. I hope they carry that momentum forward through to the next round. Cleveland is formidable, but with a little luck and both Lowry and Derozan firing like this next series there's some hope.

Pretty much. Series shouldn't really have gone 7 games. Not expecting anything except for maybe one win against Cleveland. They're rested and ready. Just hope they give it their all, play loose and have fun. Been a really stressful run to watch so far lol. Tonight was probably the most fun I've had watching and was for sure an exclamation point given it was broadcast nationally in the US as well.

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Pretty much. Series shouldn't really have gone 7 games. Not expecting anything except for maybe one win against Cleveland. They're rested and ready. Just hope they give it their all, play loose and have fun. Been a really stressful run to watch so far lol. Tonight was probably the most fun I've had watching and was for sure an exclamation point given it was broadcast nationally in the US as well.

I'm cheering on the raptors, but no way they can win without a healthy Valanciunas.

that and the fact their interior defense is way better than their perimeter defense. they are going to get badly burned on 3's.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'd be happy to eat my words if I'm wrong but no way the Raptors win more than a game.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Raps got **** on tonight. Really tough game, if anything it should hopefully wake them up. Lowry should probably hang his head low after sniping a few rounds at Cleveland and then following it up with a dreadful performance.

Not sure how to feel about that game considering their game 1 history this postseason.

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
read a newspaper poll this morning where 44% of pot smokers say they drive as well or better when they are stoned.

I wish pot smokers took their impairment a little more seriously.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
read a newspaper poll this morning where 44% of pot smokers say they drive as well or better when they are stoned.

Interesting as well that drivers these days have been shown to speed more under the influence of pot or alcohol. So its impaired PLUS increased speed, distractibility, impulsivity. Not paying attention at all to the road.

What a perfect storm of terrible driving influences.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Raps got **** on tonight. Really tough game, if anything it should hopefully wake them up. Lowry should probably hang his head low after sniping a few rounds at Cleveland and then following it up with a dreadful performance.

Not sure how to feel about that game considering their game 1 history this postseason.

They are in way over their head at this point. There is a reason they were not included in the poll for who could win the NBA Championship. It's been a fun run though, and to make it to the Final Four is an exceptional season.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Washington State has seen a pretty significant increase in fatal deaths where drivers are impaired from it. This is a real issue. The problem is it's also a real issue for alcohol and that's not going to change either.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
lol

The thing is that they actually recognize that they drive worse when they were super stoned. So I think the stats might 1. reflect people who are a. superstoned b. stoned while under the influence of something else and c. stoned last week but still showed up in the test, and 2. an increase in drug testing

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think by legalizing it you open the door to have discussions and awareness campaigns against stoned driving

When it was illegal, people took all PSA against weed as a joke. They saw the "weed will rot your brain and kill you" and "weed and driving isnt good" as the same thing and ignored them

Once we become progressive and say "look, weed isnt so bad and can be use din moderation. But driving while stoned is really bad" I think people will listen

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
They are in way over their head at this point. There is a reason they were not included in the poll for who could win the NBA Championship. It's been a fun run though, and to make it to the Final Four is an exceptional season.

Definitely. Cleveland is just plain better at every position. I'm all for Canadian basketball getting good exposure and they should be happy with the run so far, it will be a bittersweet ending.

Washington State has seen a pretty significant increase in fatal deaths where drivers are impaired from it. This is a real issue. The problem is it's also a real issue for alcohol and that's not going to change either.

Since legalization, I wonder how much of this is police officers now having new and legally admissible testing methods to detect drivers who are using pot, or if they were testing before and there is simply a sharp rise due to availability.

I think by legalizing it you open the door to have discussions and awareness campaigns against stoned driving

When it was illegal, people took all PSA against weed as a joke. They saw the "weed will rot your brain and kill you" and "weed and driving isnt good" as the same thing and ignored them

Once we become progressive and say "look, weed isnt so bad and can be use din moderation. But driving while stoned is really bad" I think people will listen

Great point about being progressive, as a society we are not just having open conversations about weed and alcohol, but all drugs that are available (any drug is available to someone that wants it badly enough).

The discussion needs to shift to a place that everyone should agree on: driving under the influence of any impairing substance is bad. As others have mentioned in the thread, we've followed a fair amount of discussion where high drivers proudly come out from behind the bushes, or worse yet that they claim to be better driving stoned. The substance primarily impairs cognitive ability, I think this is a side effect even habitual users have difficulty escaping. A user is bound to eventually 'accidentally' miss recognizing something while behind the wheel, be it another car, pedestrian, or general road hazard because they are high/drunk/whatever.

http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v31/n10/full/1301068a.html if anyone wants a dry scholarly read, this article is a small study on pot and brain function.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Isn't that exactly how alcohol is handled right now? I don't know if that's good or bad. I'm personally in favour of legalization if only because I naively would hope the extra taxation money might help me as a citizen.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I barely smoke anymore, but they need to legalize it. Personally I think they should legalize almost everything, but of course that would never fly here.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Definitely. Cleveland is just plain better at every position. I'm all for Canadian basketball getting good exposure and they should be happy with the run so far, it will be a bittersweet ending.

Since legalization, I wonder how much of this is police officers now having new and legally admissible testing methods to detect drivers who are using pot, or if they were testing before and there is simply a sharp rise due to availability.

Great point about being progressive, as a society we are not just having open conversations about weed and alcohol, but all drugs that are available (any drug is available to someone that wants it badly enough).

The discussion needs to shift to a place that everyone should agree on: driving under the influence of any impairing substance is bad. As others have mentioned in the thread, we've followed a fair amount of discussion where high drivers proudly come out from behind the bushes, or worse yet that they claim to be better driving stoned. The substance primarily impairs cognitive ability, I think this is a side effect even habitual users have difficulty escaping. A user is bound to eventually 'accidentally' miss recognizing something while behind the wheel, be it another car, pedestrian, or general road hazard because they are high/drunk/whatever.

http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v31/n10/full/1301068a.html if anyone wants a dry scholarly read, this article is a small study on pot and brain function.

Yup. I think the Convo we are having on weed will eventually be had for other drugs in 20 years, so let's have them now. My thinking (which my friends have roasted me before) is that a majority of drugs should be legalized and regulated. Control the drug and control the problem (better). Not going to reduce supply thru drug wars so do it through reducing demand

On the topic of driving high. To many think they can do it. Driving high has no one near the negative stigma driving drunk does. I've been at parties where people prevented a guy from driving at 5 beers, but nothing was said about the super stoned guy who left an hour after. Hell I didn't think it was as bad until recently. We need to separate the issue of smoking weed (not bad) and driving high (bad) and focus on the latter. People these days are numb anti weed psas

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I'd like to know how many people realize when they are sick they are impaired or taking over the counter cold and flu medication are impaired.

On a completely unrelated note and a good one, congrats to CN rebuilding that trestle bridge in 20 days.

It was just one of those things that was like a landmark for me. Pass by it a few times a year, but something neat to see.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Looking for some help!

Tomorrow got to pick up the girlfriend after the Beyoncé concert. I've never drove there before and I'm assuming it's going to be crazy busy. Anyone have suggestions on where to pick her up??

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Looking for some help!

Tomorrow got to pick up the girlfriend after the Beyoncé concert. I've never drove there before and I'm assuming it's going to be crazy busy. Anyone have suggestions on where to pick her up??

Don't pick her up there. Not that its a huge crowd, its not, more like 30-35k in a 60K facility, still, lots of people driving around there trying to move in and out of the area around that time. will be a traffic nightmare which is why public transit including LRT is encouraged to these events. Why not just meet up downtown with her hopping on the LRT with some friends? They'll probably enjoy that more anyway as its a Friday.

Also, being that its a Beyoncé concert and with probably 90% female crowd trying to arrange rides after the show doing pickups is likely to be hell for this concert. Cabs will be impossible as well.

Isn't Beyoncé into equality, and equal rights? Whats all this picking up servicing anyway. :popcorn:;)

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Don't pick her up there. Not that its a huge crowd, its not, more like 30-35k in a 60K facility, still, lots of people driving around there trying to move in and out of the area around that time. will be a traffic nightmare which is why public transit including LRT is encouraged to these events. Why not just meet up downtown with her hopping on the LRT with some friends? They'll probably enjoy that more anyway as its a Friday.

Also, being that its a Beyoncé concert and with probably 90% female crowd trying to arrange rides after the show doing pickups is likely to be hell for this concert. Cabs will be impossible as well.

Isn't Beyoncé into equality, and equal rights? Whats all this picking up servicing anyway. :popcorn:;)

Yea I'm thinking the lrt might be the way to go!!!

And she drove my drunk ass home last weekend so I owe her one hahah

Oct 15, 2008
Lrt will be a nightmare. Have her walk a few blocks and pick her up a few blocks away in the residential sw of the stadium.

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
Looking for some help!

Depends on where you live, whenever I went to shows at either big venue I'd take the lrt to the university and drive/get picked up from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia