OT: The New Thread About Nuthin

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I remember this song being played on WNEW FM New York radio, music was a little quiet then, it was the calm before the storm (Grunge) Jesus Jones, The Radiators, Michael Penn, Mathew Sweet, all kind of 1 hit wonders
I listened to the Dave Herman Rock n Roll Morning show back then, but Dave would get arrested later on for hooking up with minors online and was thrown in jail where he killed himself...

check WFMU out of jersey city.. three chord monte is solid

and the shows are archived to listen

WFMU's Summer 2021 Program Schedule - Table

most recent show……

RIP Dusty Hill: Three Chord Monte with Joe Belock

Last edited:

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Women's Olympic golf was a lot of fun. With the charge Inami made it's a shame there were no fans. They would have went ballistic in the playoff.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I remember this song being played on WNEW FM New York radio, music was a little quiet then, it was the calm before the storm (Grunge) Jesus Jones, The Radiators, Michael Penn, Mathew Sweet, all kind of 1 hit wonders
I listened to the Dave Herman Rock n Roll Morning show back then, but Dave would get arrested later on for hooking up with minors online and was thrown in jail where he killed himself...

Wow had no idea that happened with Herman. I was a big WNEW fan. Muni Elsis Ne’er (both of them). I have a memory from 1980 of Muni making an announcement that Lennon’s new single was going to be premiered on WNEW. (Lennon was friendly with some of the older DJs). I remember waiting fir it and I recall listening to it. My thought was the riff was repetitive and it didn’t rock and I was a bit disappointed. Of course as a kid I couldn’t relate to the music of a 40 year old man. I think it may have been Watching the Wheels but I know the first single was Just Like Starting Over. I did find some evidence online at some point that it may have been Watching the Wheels so maybe Muni was wrong calling it a single? In any event it wasn’t much later that Lennon was shot. What might have been. If you want a fun rabbit hole google Lennon 1981 tour and read some of the speculation and interviews that will pop up.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Wow had no idea that happened with Herman. I was a big WNEW fan. Muni Elsis Ne’er (both of them). I have a memory from 1980 of Muni making an announcement that Lennon’s new single was going to be premiered on WNEW. (Lennon was friendly with some of the older DJs). I remember waiting fir it and I recall listening to it. My thought was the riff was repetitive and it didn’t rock and I was a bit disappointed. Of course as a kid I couldn’t relate to the music of a 40 year old man. I think it may have been Watching the Wheels but I know the first single was Just Like Starting Over. I did find some evidence online at some point that it may have been Watching the Wheels so maybe Muni was wrong calling it a single? In any event it wasn’t much later that Lennon was shot. What might have been. If you want a fun rabbit hole google Lennon 1981 tour and read some of the speculation and interviews that will pop up.
I still listen to Dennis Elsis on the Beatles channel on Sirius XM, he has guests on from those days and they talk about the 70's like it was last year, every single detail. The story about Dave Hermann is just what I read here and there and might not be 100% accurate but its basically what happened.
I remember when John released Double Fantasy and the song "Woman" reminded me too much of a Neil Young song at the beginning, someone in the band mentioned it and John called Neil to ask if it was cool, and Neil was like "if John Lennon wants to use my riff for his song, its fine with me", (something like that)

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
I still listen to Dennis Elsis on the Beatles channel on Sirius XM, he has guests on from those days and they talk about the 70's like it was last year, every single detail. The story about Dave Hermann is just what I read here and there and might not be 100% accurate but its basically what happened.
I remember when John released Double Fantasy and the song "Woman" reminded me too much of a Neil Young song at the beginning, someone in the band mentioned it and John called Neil to ask if it was cool, and Neil was like "if John Lennon wants to use my riff for his song, its fine with me", (something like that)

I had never made that connection. To my ears it sounds like he’s stealing half the riff. Thanks for sharing this. I will add that as someone married for over 25 years who still very much loved his wife Woman is a much more meaningful song to me now. I can understand those who say he was overrated or a has been by Double Fantasy but having listened to Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey over the past few years I think those songs have largely aged well and a few are really special. Woman is one as are Nobody Told Me (which would have been a Ringo song if John lived and I’m curious if there would have been an overdubbed bass part) and I’m Losing You. I wish they had released the Cheap Trick version of I’m Losing You as a single to alternate from the album track. The version with them rocks a bit harder and would have been nice to have all those years ago….

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I had never made that connection. To my ears it sounds like he’s stealing half the riff. Thanks for sharing this. I will add that as someone married for over 25 years who still very much loved his wife Woman is a much more meaningful song to me now. I can understand those who say he was overrated or a has been by Double Fantasy but having listened to Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey over the past few years I think those songs have largely aged well and a few are really special. Woman is one as are Nobody Told Me (which would have been a Ringo song if John lived and I’m curious if there would have been an overdubbed bass part) and I’m Losing You. I wish they had released the Cheap Trick version of I’m Losing You as a single to alternate from the album track. The version with them rocks a bit harder and would have been nice to have all those years ago….
yeah it is half the riff (the very beginning) and I remember the reaction back in 81 from people I hung out with, everyone was kind of disappointed with the songs, too much lovey-dovey for a young teenager to appreciate, we were all looking for Cold Turkey part 2 etc!! John was a family man now, no longer the Beatle or angry pop-star.
Never heard Cheap Tricks version of I'm Losing You, I'm gonna check it out though as I like how Cheap Trick covered other songs.

My3Sons

Sponsor
yeah it is half the riff (the very beginning) and I remember the reaction back in 81 from people I hung out with, everyone was kind of disappointed with the songs, too much lovey-dovey for a young teenager to appreciate, we were all looking for Cold Turkey part 2 etc!! John was a family man now, no longer the Beatle or angry pop-star.
Never heard Cheap Tricks version of I'm Losing You, I'm gonna check it out though as I like how Cheap Trick covered other songs.

Even better - it’s Lennon and Tony Levin playing with them. Worth a listen.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Even better - it’s Lennon and Tony Levin playing with them. Worth a listen.
yeah I checked out the other versions, I like em better actually than the original! Theres a version with John signing and Cheap Trick and Tony Levin as the session musicians and then I heard Cheap Tricks own version, good stuff thanks.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
were you going to the ear doctor! I dont hear it with Iron Butterfly
but people say these two songs are similar to Come As You Are
I found this too
Why was Kurt Cobain reluctant to release Come As You Are?

Both Kurt, the band and their management were a little weary of releasing Come as You Are due to its similarity to Eighties. A single from the punk legends Killing Joke.

Those bass lines sound extremely similar to me.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm determined to catch a decent fish on a homemade lure this year (non fly). I think I'll have some opportunities with this one. Spooks are an all time great lure.

232736306_10126027837960974_3475117583853578207_n.jpg

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm determined to catch a decent fish on a homemade lure this year (non fly). I think I'll have some opportunities with this one. Spooks are an all time great lure.

232736306_10126027837960974_3475117583853578207_n.jpg
Some black dots and a pink stripe and that would be a perfect baby rainbow.

But by the blue back it looks you are trying to create a herring? Even still I would put a gill plate and a black dot on the gill plate...I think those things are triggers to induce strikes. But I'm a little on the compulsive side.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Some black dots and a pink stripe and that would be a perfect baby rainbow.

But by the blue back it looks you are trying to create a herring? Even still I would put a gill plate and a black dot on the gill plate...I think those things are triggers to induce strikes. But I'm a little on the compulsive side.

Given that this is a top water, any pattern is almost purely aesthetic. I wasn't really going for anything in particular if I'm honest. I could have just kept the wood grain and it would likely catch fish.

But I do appreciate the feedback. I am far from an artist and that part of the lure making process is what is going to take me the longest to get the hang of. Next crankbait I'll pull up an image of a sunfish or something and try to duplicate it.

This guys YouTube channel is great to watch. He makes some beautiful lures and documents the process. But here is proof of fish not caring much about topwater realism:

Reactions: JimEIV

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Given that this is a top water, any pattern is almost purely aesthetic. I wasn't really going for anything in particular if I'm honest. I could have just kept the wood grain and it would likely catch fish.

But I do appreciate the feedback. I am far from an artist and that part of the lure making process is what is going to take me the longest to get the hang of. Next crankbait I'll pull up an image of a sunfish or something and try to duplicate it.

This guys YouTube channel is great to watch. He makes some beautiful lures and documents the process. But here is proof of fish not caring much about topwater realism:

I once used a deep sea lure in my local reservoir to catch large mouth bass, all my friends were laughing, but I said "big bait catches big fish" within minutes I had an 18" bass on my line, all my friends were amazed !!!

Reactions: TheUnseenHand

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Oh geeze "I appreciate the feedback". Might as well just tell me to go f*** myself.

That's ok. Do appreciate the work and your style.

Reactions: The 29th Pick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad