OT: The New Thread About Nuthin

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Oh geeze "I appreciate the feedback". Might as well just tell me to go f*** myself.

That's ok. Do appreciate the work and your style.

:laugh:

No, I seriously do appreciate it! I really want to get better at that part of the hobby. Right now it's about getting the right shape and the right action, learning where to place the weight and the hooks, and learning to control the airbrush (which is tougher than I thought it would be). But I do really like super realistic baits and would love to be skilled enough one day to make one. I'm no where close to that level yet.

Reactions: JimEIV

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I’m glad to say my middle son has enjoyed watching Kentucky Fried Movie. Airplane can’t be far away. Maybe even American Werewolf in London and a rewatch of Animal House
I never saw KFM but remember my neighbors going to see it at the drive-in back in 77? 78? also remember TV commercials for Mr Mikes Mondo Video, I think it was the guy from SNL that made that play-dough character (Mr Bill?) that would always get crushed or cut in half. But once Animal House/Blues Brothers/Airplane/Caddyshack/The Jerk/Naked Gun came out I started seeing them, maybe because they came out on VHS tapes and I had a VCR remember them!!!
OK I like stupid movies that make me laugh!
and good for your Son(s) that they can see/enjoy the lighter side of life.

Reactions: My3Sons

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Not sure if anyone else is into bbq smoking...smoked a full 15lb brisket between yesterday and today. Probably came down to 9-10ish lbs after I trimmed the fat. Separated the point and flat...that shit was an adventure on its own watching youtube videos as I attempted to figure out how to find the separation point. Turned the point into burnt ends and they came out f***en incredible, the brisket itself came out too dry. Think I trimmed too much fat off of it in my attempt to be a butcher.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Not sure if anyone else is into bbq smoking...smoked a full 15lb brisket between yesterday and today. Probably came down to 9-10ish lbs after I trimmed the fat. Separated the point and flat...that shit was an adventure on its own watching youtube videos as I attempted to figure out how to find the separation point. Turned the point into burnt ends and they came out f***en incredible, the brisket itself came out too try. Think I trimmed too much fat off of it in my attempt to be a butcher.

i make smoked/dry cured sausages in january every year in my smokehouse….apple and some cherry wood

but as for bbq...someone gave me a small smoker and have been wanting to do an overnight brisket since i got it but with covid really? why would i go through the trouble if i cant have people over to enjoy it….

soon enough though…..look forward to seeing people again as strange as that sounds from a recluse like me

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Not sure if anyone else is into bbq smoking...smoked a full 15lb brisket between yesterday and today. Probably came down to 9-10ish lbs after I trimmed the fat. Separated the point and flat...that shit was an adventure on its own watching youtube videos as I attempted to figure out how to find the separation point. Turned the point into burnt ends and they came out f***en incredible, the brisket itself came out too dry. Think I trimmed too much fat off of it in my attempt to be a butcher.

What temperature did you cook it at? Try to keep it no higher than 225 if you can make that work. If you over trim the fat you can layer a bunch of fatty bacon on top of it. Also you can finish it off by wrapping it in foil and putting a bunch of butter on top when you do that.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
What temperature did you cook it at? Try to keep it no higher than 225 if you can make that work. If you over trim the fat you can layer a bunch of fatty bacon on top of it. Also you can finish it off by wrapping it in foil and putting a bunch of butter on top when you do that.

ya in the low 200s

nice…... slow and low

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

I stuck around 225 but it had stretches where it ended up pushing 250. Definitely want to give it another try since it ended up with great taste but too dry, so I'll see if trimming it better ends up with better results.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I stuck around 225 but it had stretches where it ended up pushing 250. Definitely want to give it another try since it ended up with great taste but too dry, so I'll see if trimming it better ends up with better results.

Trimming will help a lot. Fat cap s definitely important. Foil wrap finish for the last couple of hours helps also.

Reactions: The Devil In I

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
My wife sent me a TikTok video of how to cook a brisket in the oven. The grocery store near us always has pastrami and corned beef brisket but never just plain ol’ brisket. I think I have to get there earlier to avoid the rush.

I’m no meat expert but I believe the fat gives the brisket juice. There’s no fun in having lean brisket.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
My wife sent me a TikTok video of how to cook a brisket in the oven. The grocery store near us always has pastrami and corned beef brisket but never just plain ol’ brisket. I think I have to get there earlier to avoid the rush.

I’m no meat expert but I believe the fat gives the brisket juice. There’s no fun in having lean brisket.

damn right the juice! you like the juice!

Reactions: RangerDoggo

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.

I was watching a cooking show on TV a few years ago and they went into a NYC meat-aging room and showed the steaks etc, most cuts were surrounded by thick fat and they were saying that the best steaks have a lot of fat on them, it creates a better tasting, juicier steak. I always thought a lean piece with all the fat trimmed was the way to go, but its too dry that way (probably healthier though)

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

For me, I find myself less likely to dry out the brisket when I cook it hotter for a shorter time so I’ve been doing brisket at about 275.

I do trim my brisket fat pretty aggressively. The outside fat mostly doesn’t render. The dryness/juiciness internally is mostly coming from the intramuscular fat. I do like a little fat on top for taste though.

My best briskets have come when I:
  • Dry brine the brisket the day before
  • Take brisket directly from fridge to smoker
  • Wrap when the stall starts at 160. I like to wrap in butcher paper but foil works too, just slightly different end products but both good
  • I’ve tried pouring melted waygu beef tallow on my butcher paper when wrapping…and maybe it helped add a depth of flavor? It didn’t hurt
This weekend I’m thinking of making poor man’s burnt ends. Smoking a chuck roast like a brisket, cubing, and finishing in sauce until caramelized.

This is my odd shaped brisket from last month and some poor man burnt ends.
B81FBA6A-B000-4698-9366-35B27BEFEFCE.jpeg
5DCAAFD1-23E8-46A1-A422-5FF2F86CCCE6.jpeg

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I was watching a cooking show on TV a few years ago and they went into a NYC meat-aging room and showed the steaks etc, most cuts were surrounded by thick fat and they were saying that the best steaks have a lot of fat on them, it creates a better tasting, juicier steak. I always thought a lean piece with all the fat trimmed was the way to go, but its too dry that way (probably healthier though)

a nice thick ribeye with marble….salt and pepper and a hot flame

4 minutes a side …that is all

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
For me, I find myself less likely to dry out the brisket when I cook it hotter for a shorter time so I’ve been doing brisket at about 275.

I do trim my brisket fat pretty aggressively. The outside fat mostly doesn’t render. The dryness/juiciness internally is mostly coming from the intramuscular fat. I do like a little fat on top for taste though.

My best briskets have come when I:
  • Dry brine the brisket the day before
  • Take brisket directly from fridge to smoker
  • Wrap when the stall starts at 160. I like to wrap in butcher paper but foil works too, just slightly different end products but both good
  • I’ve tried pouring melted waygu beef tallow on my butcher paper when wrapping…and maybe it helped add a depth of flavor? It didn’t hurt
This weekend I’m thinking of making poor man’s burnt ends. Smoking a chuck roast like a brisket, cubing, and finishing in sauce until caramelized.

This is my odd shaped brisket from last month and some poor man burnt ends. View attachment 460481 View attachment 460482
that bottom plate is making my mouth water

Reactions: Devils731

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
My parents live near a deli and they have a lean pastrami and brisket. The menu does say that they don’t recommend it. There’s no fun in eating a stacked sandwich with dry meat. The juiciness is the point!

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
My parents live near a deli and they have a lean pastrami and brisket. The menu does say that they don’t recommend it. There’s no fun in eating a stacked sandwich with dry meat. The juiciness is the point!
they actually dont recommend it lol !!!
some people (customers) demand certain cut/trimmed meat I guess

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra

Ah man smoking is so awesome. My brother has been working with his buddy for the last few years running a smoking and BBQ operation. The usual stuff, ribs, pulled pork, brisket, etc. One of my favorites are these jalapeño and cheese sausages that they smoke. They do a ton of parties, markets and stuff. They came in 1st place in pulled pork and people’s choice at the contest they had at the Meadowlands a few weeks ago. They’ve got this giant ass smoker that they tow around on a trailer. It’s great when I visit where they’re set up, I just hang out, drink beers and taste test stuff haha.

He said for the brisket he trims some of the fat but not all, definitely leave some on there. He also injects it with beef broth and bourbon, not sure what the rub is, some of the stuff they won’t tell me lol. Then low and slow, almost 20 hours at around 225-245 for a 20 pounder. Once it stalls at 160 wrap it with butcher paper for the rest of the way. It’s sooooo good, super juicy and can cut it with a fork.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Ah man smoking is so awesome. My brother has been working with his buddy for the last few years running a smoking and BBQ operation. The usual stuff, ribs, pulled pork, brisket, etc. One of my favorites are these jalapeño and cheese sausages that they smoke. They do a ton of parties, markets and stuff. They came in 1st place in pulled pork and people’s choice at the contest they had at the Meadowlands a few weeks ago. They’ve got this giant ass smoker that they tow around on a trailer. It’s great when I visit where they’re set up, I just hang out, drink beers and taste test stuff haha.

He said for the brisket he trims some of the fat but not all, definitely leave some on there. He also injects it with beef broth and bourbon, not sure what the rub is, some of the stuff they won’t tell me lol. Then low and slow, almost 20 hours at around 225-245 for a 20 pounder. Once it stalls at 160 wrap it with butcher paper for the rest of the way. It’s sooooo good, super juicy and can cut it with a fork.

sounds great you lucky bastard

Reactions: JK3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad