OT: The New Thread About Nuthin

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Jim I got that Black Sabbath tribute album when it came out was a little bit disappointed in it though. I remember it was released shortly after the Led Zep tribute album Encomium, which had some good covers
220px-Encomium.jpg

I'll tell you what got me pumping more iron in the gym (my garage) was Dirt by AIC, that was a heavy album
Dirt_%28Alice_in_Chains_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Reactions: JimEIV and RyGuy

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Saw the Jungle Cruise movie, it was entertaining enough, like a mix of the Pirates and Mummy movies. CGI was absolutely putrid in some spots though.

This isn't a spoiler but the opening with the Disney castle starts off with a re-done version of nothing else matters and there's a longer version later on, apparently Metallica did it themselves, I like it but was just so unexpected to hear this come over the Disney Castle lol...

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
My3Sons said:
My kids were talking about vinyl records making a big comeback. I understand from people that supposedly can tell the difference that vinyl is a richer sound or fuller or somehow more. It’s funny to me because as a kid I felt albums were so fragile and prone to little scratches that would lead to noise artifacts. Cassettes we’re ok but a bit hissy. When CDs came out I was in heaven. The best sounding one to me when they first came out was Peter Gabriel’s album from 1982. The drums on Lay Your Hands on Me were so clean and powerful. It was a game changer for me. I can’t imagine going back to a vinyl record.

I have some friends who do this, a lot of bands release limited prints with different art and covers, they look cool but I have no interest in it.

I'm not a collector, I love digital media and the fact that it takes up virtually no room without having to find room and organize things. Same goes with movies and comics. I know some people enjoy the collection aspect of comics but if I actually had been buying physical comics for as long as I've been reading I'd have several rooms looking like a store instead of a house lol It's an absolute waste to me especially cause a lot of this stuff doesn't even hold it's value.

I don't even own a single blu-ray, dvds were the last media I've actually bought but this stuff all becomes obsolete pretty quickly nowadays. 4k is already being pushed out now. For me you just end up with a bunch of stuff that takes up room that isn't worth selling and makes ya feel wasteful to just throw out lol

Reactions: My3Sons

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
OK Lets continue, the other thread about nothing was HOT lately !!

getting back to the old thread you mentioned CDs vs vinyl…….

anyways, im an LP guy and one thing i noticed was that london calling is not a great sounding record in terms of the the recorded sound…its off in some way

… there was a remastered release on CD years later (which i borrowed from my brother just to listen) and i found it as bad for completely different reasons….way too slick and the stereo mix was not at all what i was used to hearing

with its warts ill stick to the LP

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ
Jim I got that Black Sabbath tribute album when it came out was a little bit disappointed in it though. I remember it was released shortly after the Led Zep tribute album Encomium, which had some good covers
220px-Encomium.jpg

I'll tell you what got me pumping more iron in the gym (my garage) was Dirt by AIC, that was a heavy album

Haha. Last night I was slaving in the kitchen trying to make dishes using all the veggies in our garden and listened to Master Of Reality followed by Dirt. 2 of my all time favorite albums.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
getting back to the old thread you mentioned CDs vs vinyl…….

anyways, im an LP guy and one thing i noticed was that london calling is not a great sounding record in terms of the the recorded sound…its off in some way

… there was a remastered release on CD years later (which i borrowed from my brother just to listen) and i found it as bad for completely different reasons….way too slick and the stereo mix was not at all what i was used to hearing

with its warts ill stick to the LP
I dont like the new re-mixed versions of any song/album really, definitely too slick, and they take out those little nuances like hearing the singer chewing gum, or I remember on Physical Graffiti (vinyl) before Black Country Woman you could hear an airplane in the background and one of the band members said "nah leave it" then the song started, on the CD they cleaned it up and removed it, but I liked it! I guess for new fans it didn't matter cause they never heard it anyway. Yeah I hate when they "remaster" things

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I dont like the new re-mixed versions of any song/album really, definitely too slick, and they take out those little nuances like hearing the singer chewing gum, or I remember on Physical Graffiti (vinyl) before Black Country Woman you could hear an airplane in the background and one of the band members said "nah leave it" then the song started, on the CD they cleaned it up and removed it, but I liked it! I guess for new fans it didn't matter cause they never heard it anyway. Yeah I hate when they "remaster" things

nirvana unplugged …the feedback on the mic at one part during the bowie cover (around 1:58)

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
220px-Encomium.jpg

Maybe tomorrow morning at the gym I'll listen to Alice in Chains.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
nirvana unplugged …the feedback on the mic at one part during the bowie cover (around 1:58)
yeah I just went and listened to it, and especially with live music, those little sounds are part of the song, you wanna hear that stuff, its like when you see a photoshopped picture of someone and they removed the lines and wrinkles from their faces, it's just a bunch of bologna!

Last edited:

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Maybe tomorrow morning at the gym I'll listen to Alice in Chains.
It was a brand new album by a band I didnt really know, thats one reason I loved it, plus it reminded me of Sabbath and Zepplin etc, it really pumped me up, plus MTV was playing songs off that album at the time, remember MTV !!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It was a brand new album by a band I didnt really know, thats one reason I loved it, plus it reminded me of Sabbath and Zepplin etc, it really pumped me up, plus MTV was playing songs off that album at the time, remember MTV !!
Another dead singer from that time frame...

I remember my wife showed me a post from Reddit, I think it was after Chris Cornell died that said something to the effect "Eddie Vedder singing " I'm still alive" just seems like bragging at this point"

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Another dead singer from that time frame...

I remember my wife showed me a post from Reddit, I think it was after Chris Cornell died that said something to the effect "Eddie Vedder singing " I'm still alive" just seems like bragging at this point"
thats messed up, yeah Kurt, Layne, Chris and also Scott Weiland, all gone
in a weird way it reminds me of a skit on SNL from the 70's where John Belushi was walking through a graveyard stopping by all the headstones and they were all the other members from SNL, and he commented on all of them, but he was the first to go, kind of ironic

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
220px-Encomium.jpg

I'm going to take that AIC gym advice today.

I'll just go pandora though.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
My issue with covers is do they offer something I enjoy apart from the original. I struggle to hear covers of Led Zeppelin material that I find worthwhile. Same for Sabbath. I’ve typically found the original still holds up. Beatles stuff is old enough and can be roughed up to offer something different. Like Gary Clarke’s Come Together. Nirvana’s Bowie cover unplugged had that different atmosphere. I am pretty sure I posted the Bowie cover of See Emily play which updated the sound and production to mid 1970s versions and really changed the song for me and also suggested to me the direction Syd Barrett would have gone if he hadn’t struggled with mental illness.

Reactions: RyGuy

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
My issue with covers is do they offer something I enjoy apart from the original. I struggle to hear covers of Led Zeppelin material that I find worthwhile. Same for Sabbath. I’ve typically found the original still holds up. Beatles stuff is old enough and can be roughed up to offer something different. Like Gary Clarke’s Come Together. Nirvana’s Bowie cover unplugged had that different atmosphere. I am pretty sure I posted the Bowie cover of See Emily play which updated the sound and production to mid 1970s versions and really changed the song for me and also suggested to me the direction Syd Barrett would have gone if he hadn’t struggled with mental illness.
yeah finding a good cover of Sabbath is hard, I mean Ozzy's voice is just the right fit for Black Sabbath
good Zepplin covers are hard to find, I do like the Stone Temple Pilots version of Dancing Days, with the acoustic guitar mixed in.
A cover that completely changed a song and was a huge hit was Manford Mann's cover of Blinded By The Light
here's another cover that was totally the artists own vision of the Stones classic

oh people seem to like this cover more than the original Nine Inch Nails song

here's a HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY version of Come Together by Soundgarden, I used to crank this up in the car dealer I worked at in the 90's and half the place wanted to kill me!

Last edited:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm borderline more a fan of Disturbed's version of The Sound of Silence than I am Simon and Garfunkel's. And I really like Simon and Garfunkel.

Reactions: Darkauron

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
I'm borderline more a fan of Disturbed's version of The Sound of Silence than I am Simon and Garfunkel's. And I really like Simon and Garfunkel.

Agreed. Feels like the overall vibe of the disturbed song fits more with the lyrics. Obviously on a whole different level than that, but I think the same cane be said about Jimi's cover of AATW.

This is longer, but it's definitely one of my favorites.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014

I'm finally on my holiday yay! QOTSA should start finally releasing something new, been waiting for what seems like an eternity

Reactions: The Grinder
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad