Jun 24, 2012
117223332_10221682511664779_7506949659169696119_n.jpg

NX6rPY7.jpg

Reactions: Ladyfan and Fenway

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Boston's the only place I've ever seen one, and it took me a little while to work out what it was. Seen a few old police phones and boxes, and highway emergency ones, but no other fire ones, either in American cities or elsewhere.

However according to this list from 2010, a few other places in America have retained them, assuming it's accurate. Outside of MA, San Francisco's the only other large city on the list I noticed that's kept a lot of theirs too. It's kind of cool that both places have. Even though they feel rather outdated now that almost everyone has a personal phone, it's nice that something from older days has been retained when so many other things haven't been.

Cities with operating box alarm systems

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

And the college kids haven’t even started to come back...

Those numbers need some context, like the rise coinciding with the opening of a dozen or so free testing sites around the state, the changes in how pending results are being reported and more testing due to increased travel.

He's either intentionally leaving out this key info or doesn't understand it. Either way, it's reckless.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Those numbers need some context, like the rise coinciding with the opening of a dozen or so free testing sites around the state, the changes in how pending results are being reported and more testing due to increased travel.

He's either intentionally leaving out this key info or doesn't understand it. Either way, it's reckless.

What are the hospitalization rates?? Thats prob the only one we should be concerned about. Are those going up to?? I really havent been paying attention since mid May. Thats when I noticed alot of people stopped giving a shit.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I’m not an ammonium nitrate expert but that’s a lot of ammonium nitrate

Can’t believe only 30 dead came from an explosion of that magnitude. I wish the injured the best in their recovery, 3000 is a big number and I’m sure the first responders/nurses/doctors are beyond tired at this point
The number who were killed will rise. There are people missing.

That was horrible to watch. Looks like a fire sparked the explosion.

That amount of ammonium nitrate is nuts.

I hope they can figure out why this happened.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Idk if this is true, but I spoke to someone in Lebanon and they claimed the government stored it unsafely and forgot about it.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Idk if this is true, but I spoke to someone in Lebanon and they claimed the government stored it unsafely and forgot about it.
Heard this as well from CNN who was quoting Reuters

It is so sad. I wish there was a way to help but given the strained relationship between the US and Lebanon, I don't think it is possible.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The more I think about it, if reports are true, this feels a lot closer to "murder" than "negligence."

Negligence is forgetting to put the trash out. Not "whoopsie, guess we didn't store that extremely flammable substance correctly, sorry!!"

Reactions: BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The more I think about it, if reports are true, this feels a lot closer to "murder" than "negligence."

Negligence is forgetting to put the trash out. Not "whoopsie, guess we didn't store that extremely flammable substance correctly, sorry!!"
I agree. It may be and probably was an accident but you just cannot let stuff like that happen.

It doesn't seem to be any kind of bomb .

Whatever caused it those poor people. :(

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

First- it shows positive test rates are going up which wouldn’t happen under the “more testing makes more rona” line of thinking.

Second - this is just the city of Boston not “around the state” so maybe hold off on who’s reckless for leaving out what until we check ourselves...

Reactions: Ladyfan

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
First- it shows positive test rates are going up which wouldn’t happen under the “more testing makes more rona” line of thinking.

Second - this is just the city of Boston not “around the state” so maybe hold off on who’s reckless for leaving out what until we check ourselves...

Both of these points were addressed in my post.

1. Rates are going up because their changes to the method of reporting caused it. We discussed this here yesterday or the day before.

2. Several of the new testing sites are being included in the boston numbers even if they aren't located in Boston proper.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Pete Hamill, the Brooklyn-born bard of the five boroughs and eloquent voice of his beloved hometown as both newspaper columnist and best-selling author, died Wednesday morning. He was 85.

Hamill passed away in New York-Presbyterian/Brooklyn Methodist Hospital, where he was taken after a Saturday fall that fractured his right hip, said his brother and fellow ex-Daily News columnist Denis Hamill. His elder sibling underwent emergency surgery, but his heart and kidneys failed four days later in the intensive care unit, said Denis Hamill.

“The truly great Pete Hamill died this morning,” tweeted Dan Barry, columnist at The New York Times. “Newspaperman, novelist, mentor to so many, citizen of the world. I once wrote that if the pavement of New York City could talk, it would sound like Pete Hamill. Now that city weeps.”

Legendary journalist and writer Pete Hamill dead at 85 after fall

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Both of these points were addressed in my post.
Nnnnnope

Pete Hamill, the Brooklyn-born bard of the five boroughs and eloquent voice of his beloved hometown as both newspaper columnist and best-selling author, died Wednesday morning. He was 85.

Hamill passed away in New York-Presbyterian/Brooklyn Methodist Hospital, where he was taken after a Saturday fall that fractured his right hip, said his brother and fellow ex-Daily News columnist Denis Hamill. His elder sibling underwent emergency surgery, but his heart and kidneys failed four days later in the intensive care unit, said Denis Hamill.

“The truly great Pete Hamill died this morning,” tweeted Dan Barry, columnist at The New York Times. “Newspaperman, novelist, mentor to so many, citizen of the world. I once wrote that if the pavement of New York City could talk, it would sound like Pete Hamill. Now that city weeps.”

Legendary journalist and writer Pete Hamill dead at 85 after fall
Big fan of his - tough loss

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
98% of my town is without power. I got mom’s generator working but mine is a lost cause. I’ll check in from time to time but it looks like it will be days before power is restored

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
98% of my town is without power. I got mom’s generator working but mine is a lost cause. I’ll check in from time to time but it looks like it will be days before power is restored
yeah. it sucks. Luckily ours came back on at 4am. I didnt sleep at all because when the wind stopped around 11pm it got so warm and muggy in the room without any AC.
also I was thankful I was able to take a shower this morning as well before work. If power wasnt up by 6am I was going to the local spring fed pond to wash up before work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino