OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Tornado warning now just a watch.

It just started raining and is a wee bit windy. we need rain.

I just had a root canal. Glad that is over

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The shutdown is why you have far less deaths than us in Mass. While it sucks, it's the right thing to do. America as a collective is underwater with this virus in cases and deaths because we didn't lock down across the board and several states barely locked down for any significant time before reopening with no precautions.

I think the approach to eradicate local outbreaks with targeted draconian efforts is the right one, otherwise in 2 months the whole country will end up being locked down.

I'm in a small province in a "bubble" with 3 others, and the cases are almost at zero, all travel related, and any infections are contract traced to death, and locations are massively tested when necessary. We can live with this thing, but the key is to keep the numbers low (not at zero), and deal with them harshly when they do pop up.

Australia is being watched, not because you're doing a bad job, but because the rest of us are trying to get a handle on how to deal with a second wave.

You're both probably right. There is harm, both short and long-term, in both directions, but bunkering down again is the lesser of two evils - as long as it works.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You're both probably right. There is harm, both short and long-term, in both directions, but bunkering down again is the lesser of two evils - as long as it works.

To me when faced with a choice between money and human lives, I pick human lives every time. Money comes and goes. Economies are cyclical in that they go up and down. While a downturn can be trouble, you can't replace the lives lost and experiences of humans, as well as the impact a family faces when losing a member.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I think you mean watch. If you got a warning you best go hide in the basement b/c it means a tornado is on the ground in your area

youre right.

tornado watch

tropical storm warning.

my ipad going off like a slot machine

Best description I've seen: :laugh:

gwcc-cupcake_orig.png

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
In non-storm news...

This is scary shit.

The first angle was crazy enough. I saw this one a few hours ago and couldn’t believe my eyes. Direct proof of how technology can really bring the horror of destruction to the forefront.

Feel terrible for all the innocent souls who this has affected.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
To me when faced with a choice between money and human lives, I pick human lives every time. Money comes and goes. Economies are cyclical in that they go up and down. While a downturn can be trouble, you can't replace the lives lost and experiences of humans, as well as the impact a family faces when losing a member.

It's not that simple. Since restrictions first started in March, youth self-harm is up, domestic violence is up, mental health referrals have increased, education has been compromised, and it has been much more difficult for people to receive assessment and treatment of other illnesses, some of whom will die as a result. Contraction of the economy means less jobs, less income and less money for the government to spend on essential services, education and infrastructure. This means more people who live in poverty, who will raise children in poverty, many of whom, especially with reduced state support, will live lives tainted by crime, drugs, lack of security, poor education and few opportunities. Minority groups will inevitably be the hardest hit by these factors.

So long-term lockdowns still mean that some people die and a larger percentage of the population will live low-quality, compromised lives than would otherwise have been the case. I still believe they are preferable to the number of virus-related deaths that would otherwise result. But we can't pretend that it's just lives vs money - lives will be lost and deeply impacted either way. That's the dilemma of this thing.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
These last few months thanks to social media I have gotten a first row seat to watching a bunch of people have mental break downs. Its why I am thankful I am employed and have stayed busy.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m not an ammonium nitrate expert but that’s a lot of ammonium nitrate

Can’t believe only 30 dead came from an explosion of that magnitude. I wish the injured the best in their recovery, 3000 is a big number and I’m sure the first responders/nurses/doctors are beyond tired at this point

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I’m not an ammonium nitrate expert but that’s a lot of ammonium nitrate

Can’t believe only 30 dead came from an explosion of that magnitude. I wish the injured the best in their recovery, 3000 is a big number and I’m sure the first responders/nurses/doctors are beyond tired at this point

Unfortunately I think we’ll see those numbers rise. Some of the videos I’ve seen are incredible. Not sure how this was allowed to happen...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Unfortunately I think we’ll see those numbers rise. Some of the videos I’ve seen are incredible. Not sure how this was allowed to happen...

Yeah I feel like there would be a lot of safeguards in place to prevent against fire if you know you’re gonna have that much combustible material in one place. Do not understand how this happened as well. Hopefully it wasn’t intentional

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My friend Heather was in Boston over the weekend and she was puzzled as she saw these all around the city.

She is from Chicago and never saw a fire alarm box before.

Is Boston the only city that has kept them?

116799868_574620373233875_76127549594638203_n.jpg

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad