Prospect Info: The Nascent 2020 Draft Thread

The Oilers First Draft Pick in 2020 Will Be From Which League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Was literally just gonna post that haha. Two guys to keep an eye on for sure.

I haven't seen much of Wallinder yet but from the little I've seen he looks very promising. Kinda wish we would've taken a forward last year because Wallinder looks a lot more exciting than Broberg. Just as mobile and excellent of a skater (maybe not the same straight line speed but very smooth overall) and better passer and better offensive instincts.

Niederbach would be an interesting 2nd round pick I think.

Reactions: Soli

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

I haven't seen much of Wallinder yet but from the little I've seen he looks very promising. Kinda wish we would've taken a forward last year because Wallinder looks a lot more exciting than Broberg. Just as mobile and excellent of a skater (maybe not the same straight line speed but very smooth overall) and better passer and better offensive instincts.

I agree with everything you're putting down here. I think Wallinder's got some project to him, but I really like his tools.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I mean given the last couple games, we should basically PIN this thread at the top

JJ... You know we got a bunch of draft nerds here. You really think that's my purpose in posting a highlight of two projected second round picks?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

What do you think of Helge Grans? He's more of a steady two-way D so probably not someone the Oilers will target, but I really like what I've seen of him.

I know I've mentioned him a lot already but Jack Quinn just continues to impress, with 20 goals and 31 points in his last 14 games. He's my favourite player in the draft and my #1 target for the Oilers.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What do you think of Helge Grans? He's more of a steady two-way D so probably not someone the Oilers will target, but I really like what I've seen of him.

I know I've mentioned him a lot already but Jack Quinn just continues to impress, with 20 goals and 31 points in his last 14 games. He's my favourite player in the draft and my #1 target for the Oilers.

I really haven't followed this draft much yet so I don't really have anything to offer on Grans as of now. I do know he has earned a lot of praise from media and people in the know in Sweden and just some week ago there was a lot of scouts in the building watching him play, among them Anaheim's GM and assistant GM.

I think he's definitely a guy that is more highly rated in NHL scouts circles than among regular scouting services. Wouldn't be surprised if he's picked a lot earlier than expected. He's got size, smarts and a solid two-way game (and right-handed to boot). Those types of D are always in demand, and it's worth to keep in mind that this draft is pretty weak on D and there's probably some teams that have him rated as the 2nd best D in the draft, so he could go pretty early.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I agree with everything you're putting down here. I think Wallinder's got some project to him, but I really like his tools.

Yep, he's gonna need some time but his tools are mouth-watering. #1D upside.

While on the subject, here is some footage on him from the JCWC, mostly from a game against an AJHL squad featuring fellow 2020 prospects Carter Savoie and Michael Benning.

Also is anyone clued in on Carter Savoie? Guy has 46 goals and 84 points in 45 games in the AJHL, committed to Denver next season. Obviously he's the brother of phenom Matthew Savoie, but that's about all I know about him. Could he be a good target for the 2nd rounder?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
OHL Prospects: Midseason Media/Scout Poll for 2020

Great stuff from Brock as usual. I really like this ranking.

Glad to see Foerster getting some love.

Interesting to note four people had Perrault outside the top 10.
Nice to see Quinn getting recognition. He's a borderline top-10 prospect in this draft.

I'm surprised to see Evangelista that low. From all accounts he's been much better than Foudy this year.

Have you watched Jan Mysak in the OHL yet? He seems like an interesting option for the Oilers. Very fast and smart, and has been scoring at almost a gpg so far.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Has anyone seen Martin Chromiak play? He's playing on a line with Shane Wright and has 27 points in 20 games since coming over to the OHL. Right-shot and, based on his highlights, has a great one-timer.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This year I hope the team looks at skilled forwards throughout the draft. Even if they have some flaws. Kaliyev is a guy who many shied away from but has really put it together this year. He' be a nice prospect to have now I'd say.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Nice to see Quinn getting recognition. He's a borderline top-10 prospect in this draft.

I'm surprised to see Evangelista that low. From all accounts he's been much better than Foudy this year.

Have you watched Jan Mysak in the OHL yet? He seems like an interesting option for the Oilers. Very fast and smart, and has been scoring at almost a gpg so far.

I've only caught one game and it was on TV, but I think Mysak is the real deal.

He does it all. Above average at basically everything with elite hockey sense and motor.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I would find that hard to believe. Kid is 6'4, 215, skates like the wind and has hands. If he is past 5 that would be a huge shock. I see 3rd at worst.

Fair enough.

Id go Drysdale as LA then Trade Doughty.

Lafreniere
Stuzle
Drysdale

Then Rossi...and I just love the name Perfetti

Rossi
Perfetti

Then gotta love Holtz

Holtz

Byfield

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I've only caught one game and it was on TV, but I think Mysak is the real deal.

He does it all. Above average at basically everything with elite hockey sense and motor.

Thanks guys for bringing up Mysak. I've been salivating over the thought of Jack Quinn, but I think he's rising in rankings while we seem to be rising in the standings.

Stat watching - in 15 games, he has 12 goals and 6 assists. Reading up on Mysak, he sounds really intriguing as an option to play with McDavid. These aren't very recent reports (not since he's arrived in the OHL) but if I was to imagine the type of player I'd look to play with 97...

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Dec. 4th: "Brings a lot of different elements to the party. He skates well, can make plays, is good around the net and thinks the game at a high level."

Larry Fisher - The Hockey Writers - Nov. 19th: "I like him in that range as a mid-to-late first-rounder. And I do like his skill-set as a potential top-six winger."

Ryan Kennedy - The Hockey News - Nov. 10th: "Decided to stay home to play against men, and he’s getting decent minutes early. The points are coming."

Tony Ferrari -Wings Nation - Nov. 4th: "Highly skilled center from the Czech Extraliga who has been producing at a half-point-per-game pace thus far. He is an extremely smart player who flashes his skill whenever given the chance."

Scott Wheeler -The Athletic - Nov. 4th: "I see a player with some exciting raw tools, led by an excellent release, light edge work and slick puck skills in traffic. Once he learns to use his teammates a little more or adds more of a passing element to his game, he’ll be fun to watch."

Sam Cosentino -Sportsnet - Oct. 2nd: "A lengthy audition in the Extraliiga one year ago should allow him to settle in nicely playing against men this season."

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 2nd: "A poised, intelligent forward who anticipates the play as well as anyone in this class. Has already added better speed to his package and will look to continue that trend."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Aug. 19th: "One of the better Czech prospects in recent memory, during a period when the country’s production of high-end talent has grown stagnant. Great touch around the net."

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Thanks guys for bringing up Mysak. I've been salivating over the thought of Jack Quinn, but I think he's rising in rankings while we seem to be rising in the standings.

Stat watching - in 15 games, he has 12 goals and 6 assists. Reading up on Mysak, he sounds really intriguing as an option to play with McDavid. These aren't very recent reports (not since he's arrived in the OHL) but if I was to imagine the type of player I'd look to play with 97...

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Dec. 4th: "Brings a lot of different elements to the party. He skates well, can make plays, is good around the net and thinks the game at a high level."

Larry Fisher - The Hockey Writers - Nov. 19th: "I like him in that range as a mid-to-late first-rounder. And I do like his skill-set as a potential top-six winger."

Ryan Kennedy - The Hockey News - Nov. 10th: "Decided to stay home to play against men, and he’s getting decent minutes early. The points are coming."

Tony Ferrari -Wings Nation - Nov. 4th: "Highly skilled center from the Czech Extraliga who has been producing at a half-point-per-game pace thus far. He is an extremely smart player who flashes his skill whenever given the chance."

Scott Wheeler -The Athletic - Nov. 4th: "I see a player with some exciting raw tools, led by an excellent release, light edge work and slick puck skills in traffic. Once he learns to use his teammates a little more or adds more of a passing element to his game, he’ll be fun to watch."

Sam Cosentino -Sportsnet - Oct. 2nd: "A lengthy audition in the Extraliiga one year ago should allow him to settle in nicely playing against men this season."

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 2nd: "A poised, intelligent forward who anticipates the play as well as anyone in this class. Has already added better speed to his package and will look to continue that trend."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Aug. 19th: "One of the better Czech prospects in recent memory, during a period when the country’s production of high-end talent has grown stagnant. Great touch around the net."

I think he's definitely one of the best potential wingers for McDavid.

Smart, great shot, nice hands, great along the boards and on the forecheck, goes hard to the net. Basically checks every box you want.

And he does stuff like this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad