Prospect Info: The Nascent 2020 Draft Thread

The Oilers First Draft Pick in 2020 Will Be From Which League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Swedish newspaper (RANKING: Här är juniorerna som tagit SHL med storm) just sent out their mid-season grades on SHL junior players, some things that may be of interest to some here:

Eligable for 2020 NHL entry draft

Holtz, 17: 3/5
Djurgarden - 23 GP 7 G 4 A 11 pts
U20 Djurgarden - 2 GP 7 G 2 A 9 pts
U20 team Swe - 15 GP 4 G 4 A 8 pts

Started very strong before struggling a lot for several weeks. Lately he has looked much better so it was unfortunate that he injured himself in his last game. Considering his age though it is very impressive that he is able to play at this level and hold a place on the regular roster in Djurgarden.

Raymond, 17: 2/5
Frolunda - 19 GP 3 G 2 A 5 pts
U20 Frolunda - 5 GP 2 G 4 A 6 pts
U20 team Swe - 15 GP 3 G 3 A 6 pts

Has been in and out of the team all season and has never managed to lock down a regular place on the roster. Raymond has not looked as good as many were expecting this season so far. In U20 WC he also had some trouble showing his worth. There is no doubt of the great talent that he has, but by the look of things right now, this season will bring down his draft value come next summer.

Gunler, 18: 3/5
Lulea - 34 GP 2 G 7 A 9 pts
U20 Lulea - 2 GP 2 G 1 A 3 pts

One of the most skilled forwards in Swedish junior hockey, and it is still a mystery how he did not get a place on team Sweden in the U20 WC (maybe something we are not aware of happened behind closed doors). Gunler has shown to be a great playmaker and also in possession of a good shot and next season one should expect 30+ points in the SHL.

Oberg, 19: 3/5
Orebro - 24 GP 3 G 2 A 5 pts
U20 Orebro - 7 GP 8 G 3 A 11 pts
U20 team Swe - 7 GP 2 G 0 A 2 pts

One of the biggest exclamation points in the SHL this season and was really successful in the U20 WC some weeks ago. Oberg has taken over Behrn Arean and has become a favorite among the fans this season. He has found a good role on the team and his place on the roster is not in question even once Orebro strengthen their top end with the arrival of Kovacs.

... not 2020 draft-related:
Philip Broberg, 18: 2/5
Skelleftea - 27 GP 0 G 4 A 4 pts
U20 team Swe - 14 GP 1 G 2 A 3 pts

Started off his SHL career flying high and put up quite a show for the audience in his first games when he time and time again rushed up the ice in some stunning performances. After that Broberg has fallen back a bit, and since then we have not seen very much offensively.
However, it is very clear that Broberg has developed his defensive game under the coaching of Tommy Samuelsson, and he has become much more mature in that aspect of the game.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Swedish newspaper (RANKING: Här är juniorerna som tagit SHL med storm) just sent out their mid-season grades on SHL junior players, some things that may be of interest to some here:

Eligable for 2020 NHL entry draft

Holtz, 17: 3/5
Djurgarden - 23 GP 7 G 4 A 11 pts
U20 Djurgarden - 2 GP 7 G 2 A 9 pts
U20 team Swe - 15 GP 4 G 4 A 8 pts

Started very strong before struggling a lot for several weeks. Lately he has looked much better so it was unfortunate that he injured himself in his last game. Considering his age though it is very impressive that he is able to play at this level and hold a place on the regular roster in Djurgarden.

Raymond, 17: 2/5
Frolunda - 19 GP 3 G 2 A 5 pts
U20 Frolunda - 5 GP 2 G 4 A 6 pts
U20 team Swe - 15 GP 3 G 3 A 6 pts

Has been in and out of the team all season and has never managed to lock down a regular place on the roster. Raymond has not looked as good as many were expecting this season so far. In U20 WC he also had some trouble showing his worth. There is no doubt of the great talent that he has, but by the look of things right now, this season will bring down his draft value come next summer.

Gunler, 18: 3/5
Lulea - 34 GP 2 G 7 A 9 pts
U20 Lulea - 2 GP 2 G 1 A 3 pts

One of the most skilled forwards in Swedish junior hockey, and it is still a mystery how he did not get a place on team Sweden in the U20 WC (maybe something we are not aware of happened behind closed doors). Gunler has shown to be a great playmaker and also in possession of a good shot och next season one should expect 30+ points in the SHL.

Oberg, 19: 3/5
Orebro - 24 GP 3 G 2 A 5 pts
U20 Orebro - 7 GP 8 G 3 A 11 pts
U20 team Swe - 7 GP 2 G 0 A 2 pts

One of the biggest exclamation points in the SHL this season and was really successful in the U20 WC some weeks ago. Oberg has taken over Behrn Arean and has become a favorite among the fans this season. He has found a good role on the team and his place on the roster is not in question even once Orebro strengthen their top end with the arrival of Kovacs.

... not 2020 draft-related:
Philip Broberg, 18: 2/5
Skelleftea - 27 GP 0 G 4 A 4 pts
U20 team Swe - 14 GP 1 G 2 A 3 pts

Started off his SHL career flying high and put up quite a show for the audience in his first games when he time and time again rushed up the ice in some stunning performances. After that Broberg has fallen back a bit, and since then we have not seen very much offensively.
However, it is very clear that Broberg has developed his defensive game under the coaching of Tommy Samuelsson, and he has become much more mature in that aspect of the game.

I would love to snag Gunler if he ends up making it to the 15-20 range where he keeps getting ranked for some reason.

He seems way too good to go that late.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What do you guys think about Jacob Perreault around 20th?

I'm not a big fan. Great shot/release, but he's not really someone who drives play and I don't think he has the best hockey sense.

Also, despite being listed as a center in lots of places, I don't think he's actually played any center in the OHL.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
In the 13 to 20 range where we likely end up I’m looking mainly at two guys - Holloway and Gunler. Both seem a step above the others in that range imo.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I would love to snag Gunler if he ends up making it to the 15-20 range where he keeps getting ranked for some reason.

Agreed. He's a pure sniper and would be a steal in our range.

I'm not a big fan. Great shot/release, but he's not really someone who drives play and I don't think he has the best hockey sense.

Also, despite being listed as a center in lots of places, I don't think he's actually played any center in the OHL.
I don't disagree with your description of him, but is that a bad thing? A winger with a great shot and strong skating would be a really good add. We're not really expecting a line-driver where we'll be picking.

Admittedly I haven't watched much of him, though.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
In the 13 to 20 range where we likely end up I’m looking mainly at two guys - Holloway and Gunler. Both seem a step above the others in that range imo.
I think both would be good picks. I've also got my eye on Connor Zary if we're picking a bit higher.

I like fellow Germans Lukas Reichel and John-Jason Peterka too, but I'm not sure if they'd be targets for us that high.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't disagree with your description of him, but is that a bad thing? A winger with a great shot and strong skating would be a really good add. We're not really expecting a line-driver where we'll be picking.

Admittedly I haven't watched much of him, though.

I think there would be better options.

I don't like drafting guys who haven't shown the ability to create their own offense that early in the draft.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I think there would be better options.

I don't like drafting guys who haven't shown the ability to create their own offense that early in the draft.
That's fair. There are definitely players I'd prefer, namely Gunler, Holloway, and Zary.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I've never seen him play to be honest, but he's been getting pretty good reviews. Sounds like he is probably the best of the pack in SHL, if you consider league play and this season only.

I would have loved to see him in the U20ies.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I've never seen him play to be honest, but he's been getting pretty good reviews. Sounds like he is probably the best of the pack in SHL, if you consider league play and this season only.

I would have loved to see him in the U20ies.
He's definitely below Raymond and Holtz right now. His playmaking and two-way game isn't on the level of the other two, and keep in mind he's a late birthday as well. There also seems to be some sort of rift between him and Team Sweden's coach.

Nevertheless, he'd be a great pick for us. He's a very smart player whose shot is up there for best in the draft class.

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
He's definitely below Raymond and Holtz right now. His playmaking and two-way game isn't on the level of the other two, and keep in mind he's a late birthday as well. There also seems to be some sort of rift between him and Team Sweden's coach.

Nevertheless, he'd be a great pick for us. He's a very smart player whose shot is up there for best in the draft class.
Yeah I thought so, because despite what I read about their play for their respective teams in the SHL, I still see both Holtz and Raymond ranked higher by everyone.
I have to find a way to watch a couple of games with Gunler.

Edit: About the coach, he is nowadays infamous for his "head-scratchers" when it comes to the roster. I know they won't fire him, but I think it's time for him to go.

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
My 1st round rankings, separated into tiers:

1. Alexis Lafreniere

2. Quinton Byfield
3. Tim Stutzle
4. Marco Rossi
5. Jamie Drysdale
6. Lucas Raymond
7. Alexander Holtz
8. Cole Perfetti

9. Anton Lundell
10. Noel Gunler
11. Connor Zary
12. Yaroslav Askarov
13. Dylan Holloway
14. Dawson Mercer

15. Jacob Perrault
16. Jeremie Poirier
17. Hendrix Lapierre
18. Rodion Amirov
19. Jack Quinn
20. Brendan Schneider
21. Kaiden Guhle
22. Helge Grans
23. Jan Mysak
24. Justin Barron
25. Zion Nybeck

26. John-Jason Peterka
27. William Wallinder
28. Lucas Cormier
29. Mavrik Bourque
30. Jake Neighbours
31. Lukas Reichel

Reactions: Aerchon and LaGu

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
My 1st round rankings, separated into tiers:

1. Alexis Lafreniere

2. Quinton Byfield
3. Tim Stutzle
4. Marco Rossi
5. Jamie Drysdale
6. Lucas Raymond
7. Alexander Holtz
8. Cole Perfetti

9. Anton Lundell
10. Noel Gunler
11. Connor Zary
12. Yaroslav Askarov
13. Dylan Holloway
14. Dawson Mercer

15. Jacob Perrault
16. Jeremie Poirier
17. Hendrix Lapierre
18. Rodion Amirov
19. Jack Quinn
20. Brendan Schneider
21. Kaiden Guhle
22. Helge Grans
23. Jan Mysak
24. Justin Barron
25. Zion Nybeck

26. John-Jason Peterka
27. William Wallinder
28. Lucas Cormier
29. Mavrik Bourque
30. Jake Neighbours
31. Lukas Reichel

Thanks for your thoughts! For those of us not as attuned to the prospects, I like not just seeing the rankings, but also how people see any talent grouping and drop-offs in talent.

I wonder what our pick 15-20 + Puljujarvi could get us...your third tier?

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Thanks for your thoughts! For those of us not as attuned to the prospects, I like not just seeing the rankings, but also how people see any talent grouping and drop-offs in talent.

I wonder what our pick 15-20 + Puljujarvi could get us...your third tier?

I think the best thing would be to keep our first and then trade Pulju for either an NHL ready winger, a similar prospect, or a late 1st. Based on how well he's doing in the Liiga, I think we can get a late 1st for him.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think the best thing would be to keep our first and then trade Pulju for either an NHL ready winger, a similar prospect, or a late 1st. Based on how well he's doing in the Liiga, I think we can get a late 1st for him.

Or maybe if we are in the 20th range we can used Puljujarvi to move up to the 12 to 15 range

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Ken Holland joined Bob Stauffer for a radio hit today.

One of the more interesting insights was hearing Holland talk about the 2020 draft.

- Probably looking at forwards with the 1st rounder. (Take home, they're keeping the 1st rd pick)
- But if BPA is a defenseman, they'll consider that regardless of organizational strength.
- Holland says you can always turn a defenseman into a forward.

While I agree with the Nashville approach in principle, I've seen this regime take a project defenseman over a sublime playmaking forward. It only works in practice if they're able to identify BPA and their defenseman can hold perceived value beyond our organization.

Tune in next time, when I bestow the virtues of drafting my favourite project defenseman, Helge Grans and William Wallinder.

---

Bob McKenzie & TSN's midseason draft rankings coming out Thursday.

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

One of the more interesting insights was hearing Holland talk about the 2020 draft.

- Probably looking at forwards with the 1st rounder. (Take home, they're keeping the 1st rd pick)
- But if BPA is a defenseman, they'll consider that regardless of organizational strength.

While I agree with the Nashville approach in principle, I've seen this regime take a project defenseman over a sublime playmaking forward. It only works in practice if they're able to identify BPA and their defenseman can hold perceived value beyond our organization.

Tune in next time, when I bestow the virtues of drafting my favourite project defenseman, Helge Grans and William Wallinder.

---

Bob McKenzie & TSN's midseason draft rankings coming out Monday.
Give me Noel Gunler!

Fast, good size, has a rocket. Would be the perfect winger for Connor

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

---

Still waiting for all those forwards to come rolling in from Gustasfsson, Marino, Petry, and Schultz to name a few.

I think history has proven repeatedly flooding our organization with strong defense does nothing but line the pockets of other teams for little return.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Or maybe if we are in the 20th range we can used Puljujarvi to move up to the 12 to 15 range

I wouldn't mind this honestly, there's going to be some great talent in that range.

Or perhaps even packaging JP + our 2nd to get a 1st in return. Drafting a couple forwards in the first round could go a long way.

I can see the 2nd being traded for help at the deadline though.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

---

I actually really like Helge Grans. We should obviously be looking at a forward, but Grans would be a good pick in the late-1st for most other teams.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Noel Gunler, Connor Zary, Dylan Holloway, Dawson Mercer, Jacob Perrault, Hendrix Lapierre, Rodion Amirov, Jack Quinn, and Zion Nybeck are the forwards typically ranked in our range. Anyone have any input/opinions on some of these players?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I’d like to know more about Jack Quinn. Just stat watching, he looks pretty impressive. 35 goals in 41 games in the OHL, +36, RH shot, average size (5’11, 176lbs). Is he a complete softy or something? How could someone with those numbers not be top 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad