Prospect Info: The Nascent 2020 Draft Thread

The Oilers First Draft Pick in 2020 Will Be From Which League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I’d like to know more about Jack Quinn. Just stat watching, he looks pretty impressive. 35 goals in 41 games in the OHL, +36, RH shot, average size (5’11, 176lbs). Is he a complete softy or something? How could someone with those numbers not be top 10?
He plays on the Ottawa 67's — like Marco Rossi, whose stats indicate he should be a 1st/2nd overall pick — so his numbers are somewhat a result of playing on an absolutely stacked team.

That said, he's a legit prospect and one of my favourites in the draft. He has elite hands and an unbelievable release, above average skating (decent top-end speed but very good edgework), and great vision. He also plays a responsible two-way game. And he's grown to 6'1. I think both him and Rossi are getting underrated for playing on a stacked team and for being late birthdays.

I also found this pretty interesting:
His upside may be greater than other younger draft eligibles. Maybe earlier on his development curve. NEVER picked on his districts AAA team, never played hockey year round, insanely gifted athlete and elite at whatever he did from hockey, golf to baseball. Scouts are going to love hearing that. He has great edges, soft hands and about as deft a touch you can have inside the blue line, and also plays responsibly in all 3 zones. He is or will be quickly losing his 'sleeper' tag.

Reactions: Roof Daddy

Lewy

May 26, 2011
I typed out a post about Jack Quinn a few days ago and then deleted it. Thanks to RD for asking the question and thanks for the update. Quinn has a page as a top baseball prospect as well.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Quinn's development has been pretty crazy.

I didn't really see any NHL potential in him last season and even at the beginning of this season, he sort of just floated around looking like a nothing player, but it's like he realized he wasn't small and slow anymore overnight and just started dominating.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I typed out a post about Jack Quinn a few days ago and then deleted it. Thanks to RD for asking the question and thanks for the update. Quinn has a page as a top baseball prospect as well.
Wow, I didn't know that. He's a natural athlete.

Quinn's development has been pretty crazy.

I didn't really see any NHL potential in him last season and even at the beginning of this season, he sort of just floated around looking like a nothing player, but it's like he realized he wasn't small and slow anymore overnight and just started dominating.
Have you watched any of him in the OHL? What are your thoughts on him?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
He plays on the Ottawa 67's — like Marco Rossi, whose stats indicate he should be a 1st/2nd overall pick — so his numbers are somewhat a result of playing on an absolutely stacked team.

That said, he's a legit prospect and one of my favourites in the draft. He has elite hands and an unbelievable release, above average skating (decent top-end speed but very good edgework), and great vision. He also plays a responsible two-way game. And he's grown to 6'1. I think both him and Rossi are getting underrated for playing on a stacked team and for being late birthdays.

I also found this pretty interesting:

Thanks for the info. I haven’t paid much attention to many of the prospects outside the two big names, but this draft sounds really strong. I just saw that “mynhldraft” had us taking him based on current place in the standings. Looked him up and figured “how is this guy a mid-late 1st rder.”

I was in the “trade the 1st” camp earlier in the year, but I’m pulling a 180 on that view. We can probably land a 1st line talent in the 15-20 range.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Have you watched any of him in the OHL? What are your thoughts on him?

Saw a few last year and a couple at the beginning of this season, but only one since he took the huge step forward.

I like him quite a bit now. His biggest strength is hockey sense, for sure. Makes tons of smart, little plays. His release is nasty. He finds open ice, gets the puck, then makes sneaky little moves to change the shooting angle at the last second and the puck is off his stick before you know it.

He was doing some of that stuff before, but he was 5'10''ish and probably the slowest guy on the ice. It's crazy how much better his skating has got and how much better he is at using his body now. Still a bit skinny and doesn't play in traffic as much as you'd like, but with the way he's improved everything else, I wouldn't be surprised to see him improve there too.

I think I still prefer a guy like Foerster, but I definitely wouldn't mind him with our 1st.

Last edited:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
But with the way he's improved everything else, I wouldn't be surprised to see him improve there too.

I think I still prefer a guy like Foerster, but I definitely wouldn't mind him with our 1st.
That's one thing I like about Quinn. He didn't make a AAA team until minor midget, and his development curve has been insane. He's a natural athlete and there's no reason to believe he won't improve more.

Foerster is a guy I haven't watched at all, but he's consistently ranked behind Jack Quinn. I heard skating is a concern. What do you like about his game?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That's one thing I like about Quinn. He didn't make a AAA team until minor midget, and his development curve has been insane. He's a natural athlete and there's no reason to believe he won't improve more.

Foerster is a guy I haven't watched at all, but he's consistently ranked behind Jack Quinn. I heard skating is a concern. What do you like about his game?

I probably like him more than most, but I just love his player type. Elite hockey sense with an elite shot.

Needs to improve his skating a bit, but it doesn't affect him in the offensive zone because he's so smart.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Hometown boy Jake Neighbours might be a good fit for us. He's not going to blow you away offensively, but he's big, strong, gritty, and smart. He's been compared to a mix between Debrusk and Tkachuk, and I think that's pretty accurate. Probably more of a late-1st round pick though, so he'd only be in our range if we make it pretty far into the playoffs.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What's the word on Seth Jarvis? Have any of the WHL fans on here caught any Winterhawks games this year?

He's only sitting behind Lafren, Rossi, Perfetti and Byfield in points for draft eligible CHLers yet I'm not sure if I've read anything about him.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Noel Gunler, Connor Zary, Dylan Holloway, Dawson Mercer, Jacob Perrault, Hendrix Lapierre, Rodion Amirov, Jack Quinn, and Zion Nybeck are the forwards typically ranked in our range. Anyone have any input/opinions on some of these players?

Admittedly I haven't really watched him this season but I saw him a lot in the past two years and I think Noel Gunler would be a perfect pick for the Oilers. He's got size, thinks the game reasonably well and has a great shot. Oh and he's right-handed too. I think he'd be a great complementary top-six forward on this team. Having him on the wing of Drai or McDavid and he'll probably score 30 goals most years. I like that he's a late birthday too so he should be closer to the NHL than some of the other guys ranked in our range.

I love Zion Nybeck as a player but I don't think he's a great fit for the Oilers, unless the team is drafting really late in the 1st round, like 28-31st somewhere where he'd probably be the clear BPA. Conversely I'd pick Gunler in the 15-20 range.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Admittedly I haven't really watched him this season but I saw him a lot in the past two years and I think Noel Gunler would be a perfect pick for the Oilers. He's got size, thinks the game reasonably well and has a great shot. Oh and he's right-handed too. I think he'd be a great complementary top-six forward on this team. Having him on the wing of Drai or McDavid and he'll probably score 30 goals most years. I like that he's a late birthday too so he should be closer to the NHL than some of the other guys ranked in our range.

I love Zion Nybeck as a player but I don't think he's a great fit for the Oilers, unless the team is drafting really late in the 1st round, like 28-31st somewhere where he'd probably be the clear BPA. Conversely I'd pick Gunler in the 15-20 range.
I've got them both ranked slightly higher than that. Gunler is at 10 for me and Nybeck is at 25.

I agree with your points. Nybeck strikes me as a Yamamoto type (bit more of a sniper than playmaker though), but we have no one in our system like Gunler, apart from maybe Lavoie.

Gunler, Zary, Holloway, and Mercer are my top options if we pick high enough. We'd probably have to be top-18 for one of them to fall though. Apart from that, Jack Quinn is my favourite prospect in our range, and maybe in the entire draft. He plays a similar game to David Pastrnak.

Jan Mysak is a bit of a wildcard, but he's usually ranked in our range as well. I haven't watched him, but from what I've read his skillset sounds enticing. And if we're picking 31st, Nybeck or Neighbours would be my pick. :)

Reactions: Zaddy

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Judging by what I've read here and elsewhere, I'd love to come out of the draft with both Jack Quinn and Tyson Foerster. The latter appears lower on some lists - if standings shake down the way they are, we may be able to snag Quinn with our first and try to trade up with our second for Foerster.

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Judging by what I've read here and elsewhere, I'd love to come out of the draft with both Jack Quinn and Tyson Foerster. The latter appears lower on some lists - if standings shake down the way they are, we may be able to snag Quinn with our first and try to trade up with our second for Foerster.

I'm not really worried about this draft. If the draft was today, we'd be picking at #16. Idk how much our position will change between now and the draft, but I think a really good player will be available in the 14-18 range.
  • Lundell is likely out of reach. On track to have a comparable season to Kotkaniemi, Laine, and JP.
  • Gunler fits our needs like a glove, probably just out of reach.
  • I like Zary. Well-rounded player who drives play, competes hard, and drives to the net.
  • Can't say I know much about Mercer, Bourque, or Mysak, but they seem like they're having solid years.
  • Apprehensive about drafting Holloway, because there's no guarantee an NCAA player will sign with us.
  • I hope we're scouting Reichel. Very young guy producing very well in the DEL. Curious why people are sleeping on him.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Alexis Lafreniere enhances No. 1 status in TSN's mid-season NHL draft ranking - TSN.ca

Interesting list. Of note, Noel Gunler, often mentioned here is ranked in Bob's list at 27. Craig Button names Jack Quinn as the best goal scorer in the draft - 37 goals in 43 games is phenomenal. Not sure why he isn't ranked higher. Anyone? Foerster listed at 40. Adding our 3rd to our 2nd should get us up in that range. Would love to add two goal scorers to the team of playmakers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad