The Mighty Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
What are his stats ES vs non playoff teams? And Vs playoff teams?

Cause It doesnt matter if he can score 8 goals vs Redwings, MTL, Ducks, Canes, LA, Nucks, ..etc. -
If Vs a Playoff team he is MIA.

Seems to be the trend since last Post Season and now

vs playoff teams: 14gms, 14pts
nonplayoffteams: 16gms, 26pts

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Year 1: 69 points in 82 games (40 goals) - (0.84ppg)
Year 2: 63 points in 62 games (34 goals, on pace for 45 goals, 83 points over 82 game season) - (1.02ppg)
Year 3: 40 points in 30 games (2o goals, on pace for 55 goals, 109 points over 82 game season) - (1.33ppg)

We've also learned this year that it does not matter who Matthews plays with this year because he'll still up monster numbers. He doesn't need Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson in the same manner they need him. The fact that people are still wanting more from this guy despite being on pace for 55 goals and 109 points at 21 speaks to his ultimate potential. Matthews is in a slump now, but the way he was playing to start the year up until his first injury...I wouldn't trade that player for anyone in the league, including McDavid. He'll get back to that player, he needs consistent line-mates and the playing time a top 5 center in the world deserves.

For as great as Marner and Tavares have been, they've also had the chance to play with each other the entire season and build that chemistry. Regardless if Hyman, Brown or Johnsson are on that line, those 2 always play together. Matthews doesn't have that luxury.

I think most people would admit Matthews and Marner are the top 2 players on this team. How different would their numbers look if Matthews and Marner played together and Tavares had Kapanen and Nylander? Even on the Oilers, McDavid still plays with Draisaitl who is their second best forward and a legit first line winger (There's a reason the Oilers don't consistently try LD to drive his own line...doesn't go that well). Matthews though?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I see signs of people turning on Matthews both here, on twitter, and elsewhere. It just might be the saddest thing I've seen as a Leafs fan.

He's not playing as well as he could. We all see that. But the big picture is still that this is a 20-year old on pace for 110 points while far from a one-dimensional scorer. Nitpicking on his game to the degree that you forget that is just sad.
Those people can go back to the shitty times, wishing we could finally draft a young top 1LC.... like Matthews..... Oh wait.

Reactions: TDotMassive

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I see signs of people turning on Matthews both here, on twitter, and elsewhere. It just might be the saddest thing I've seen as a Leafs fan.

He's not playing as well as he could. We all see that. But the big picture is still that this is a 20-year old on pace for 110 points while far from a one-dimensional scorer. Nitpicking on his game to the degree that you forget that is just sad.
I'll say I am one of the nitpickers now and my big issue is the contract numbers being thrown out there. If he wants to challenge the highest paid player in the league, he needs to be on a different level. If he wants to come in around that next tier, his play is fine.

Does scare the hell out of me that he's protected more than any other star in the league though and is slumping. It wasn't Bergeron's line that neutralized him last night and he's not seeing top competition.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Year 1: 69 points in 82 games (40 goals) - (0.84ppg)
Year 2: 63 points in 62 games (34 goals, on pace for 45 goals, 83 points over 82 game season) - (1.02ppg)
Year 3: 40 points in 30 games (2o goals, on pace for 55 goals, 109 points over 82 game season) - (1.33ppg)

We've also learned this year that it does not matter who Matthews plays with this year because he'll still up monster numbers. He doesn't need Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson in the same manner they need him. The fact that people are still wanting more from this guy despite being on pace for 55 goals and 109 points at 21 speaks to his ultimate potential. Matthews is in a slump now, but the way he was playing to start the year up until his first injury...I wouldn't trade that player for anyone in the league, including McDavid. He'll get back to that player, he needs consistent line-mates and the playing time a top 5 center in the world deserves.

For as great as Marner and Tavares have been, they've also had the chance to play with each other the entire season and build that chemistry. Regardless if Hyman, Brown or Johnsson are on that line, those 2 always play together. Matthews doesn't have that luxury.

I think most people would admit Matthews and Marner are the top 2 players on this team. How different would their numbers look if Matthews and Marner played together and Tavares had Kapanen and Nylander? Even on the Oilers, McDavid still plays with Draisaitl who is their second best forward and a legit first line winger (There's a reason the Oilers don't consistently try LD to drive his own line...doesn't go that well). Matthews though?
Both top 10 in PPG last I checked. If you put Matthews and Marner together they would challenge MacKinnon and Raantanen imo. But god forbid Matthews got to play with a winger like Marner.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Both top 10 in PPG last I checked. If you put Matthews and Marner together they would challenge MacKinnon and Raantanen imo. But god forbid Matthews got to play with a winger like Marner.
The hilarious thing would be if Babcock did that to limit their production before RFA status, it didn't matter in the end because they both are on pace for 100 point seasons at 21 away from each other.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs are in a bit of a funk overall right now because we are missing our number one goalie, so I'm willing to let a bit of the losing slide.

From a Matthews point of view, I think everyone's gotten too used to the Mario Lemieux glamour stats from when he's on a hot streak. If that's his true potential and needs to iron out the inconsistencies, there's nothing to worry about, friends.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I think all going well (no injuries and a strong finish), the number is 11. Less than Connor, more than Jack, same as John. I think that checks all the "satisfaction" boxes.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
I'll say I am one of the nitpickers now and my big issue is the contract numbers being thrown out there. If he wants to challenge the highest paid player in the league, he needs to be on a different level. If he wants to come in around that next tier, his play is fine.

Does scare the hell out of me that he's protected more than any other star in the league though and is slumping. It wasn't Bergeron's line that neutralized him last night and he's not seeing top competition.
Frankly, from a cap perspective, I don't mind it Matthews isn't in the McDavid tier of scoring this season. Maybe it means we can get AM locked up for around $10-11M per. If we can achieve that, and lock down Marner around $9m, that seems pretty damn good to me. Anything under $20m for M&M is nice at this point.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Matthews is a great player and we’re more than blessed to have him. Nights like tonight when he gets secondary matchups while the Tavares line does the heavy lifting he’s going to be expected to capitalize, and when he doesn’t he will get heat. Tonight was a big game, and he even talked about it pre-game in the scrum the importance of showing up for this one. I understand the frustration as a fan, but anyone who doesn’t think he is an absolutely elite player should be ashamed.

At the same time though is Maclean REALLY wrong? Since his injury last season/the playoffs and for the better part of this year he hasn’t been the picture of consistency and some nights honestly looks disinterested. (Not saying he IS actually disinterested those nights, just the optics). Can you honestly say night in and night out Matthews brings it and is dangerous? Because I can say that about a couple of our players who rarely have an off night where they don’t create dangerous chances, but not Matthews.

First off, I don’t think Matthews is 100%. Secondly, his line mates need to be more consistent(like same players).
Lastly, I don’t watch other teams as much as I watch the Leafs. I am pretty sure McDavid, Sid and even Ovie doesn’t being it every single shift and every single game. I am not giving Matthews a pass as long as he is playing but he is a C and as long as he is also doing things defensively with a 200 ft game, he is good in my book.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
except those are not like the other. AM is supposed to be our best player our franchise. he seems hurt, disinterested and scared. no way he should get anything over 10 mill. AM might only be our 5th best player.
Then he won’t get paid 10mil if he doesn’t score over 90pts.
With the current team, we really don’t need Matthews to score 100pts to be a great team.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Then he won’t get paid 10mil if he doesn’t score over 90pts.
With the current team, we really don’t need Matthews to score 100pts to be a great team.
Agree with this. We were a 100+ pt team with both Matthews and Wee Willy out of the lineup. We are deep up front... scary deep.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Agree with this. We were a 100+ pt team with both Matthews and Wee Willy out of the lineup. We are deep up front... scary deep.
I think as fans, ofcourse we want our players to be the best, winning all sort of individual awards.... but I think Ovie and Sid were the only two who actually got an individual award(Rockets) as well as winning the Cup over the past few years and that says a lot about Cup winners.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
With the Bergeron line matched against Tavares all night long, Matthews should destroy the Krejci match up. He has to make other teams pay in that situation. You're up against David Freakin Krejci you have to kill that match up.

I'm guessing the underlying metrics are good because they did seem to have the puck all the time and create chances but at some point you have to convert and beat Boston for cripes sakes. Get angry. How many times are you going to let this team eat your lunch? MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Matty won the ice tilt against Krejci but it does not matter if you don't produce the goals. Kadri and Nylander were killing it against Boston's 3rd line too but again they could not score. If you want the big big money then you just have to figure out a way to get it done.

I think Dubas has folded up in Matty deal already from what i hear. I would not want his job but once it is announced it will make Marner really difficult to sign. But hell who knows maybe no one will offer sheet Marner and he can just sit it out and like Willy eventually come back to team.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
The new contract is weighing on Auston's mind so much that his play is being affected.

He feels he must avoid injuries at all cost. He's not crashing and banging as a result and just playing stick to stick.

If he ends this season with a so so goal and assist production, that would surely reflect in the Leafs' offer in terms of contract length and annual average. His saving grace would be if he has superb playoffs against the Bruins and Lightning. He will then get his McDavid equivalent contract.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He will then get his McDavid equivalent contract.

He's not McDavid. He will not get McDavid money. To get what Tavares did he'll need to sign 7 or 8 years. If he signs a 5 year deal, he gets less.

Just like Nylander ... I'll judge these guys based upon how they do in the post season.

I think Matthews should avoid too much contact until then.

Who cares about the regular season ?

Reactions: Ports

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
He's not McDavid. He will not get McDavid money. To get what Tavares did he'll need to sign 7 or 8 years. If he signs a 5 year deal, he gets less.

Just like Nylander ... I'll judge these guys based upon how they do in the post season.

I think Matthews should avoid too much contact until then.

Who cares about the regular season ?
Yep. And McDavid had a 100 point season and won a Hart before getting his contract.

If Matthews makes anywhere near that I’ll blow a f***ing gasket.

Reactions: Ports

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yep. And McDavid had a 100 point season and won a Hart before getting his contract.

If Matthews makes anywhere near that I’ll blow a ****ing gasket.
You guys are going to blow a massive gasket real soon. and I agree with you. I don't think he is deserving his contract right now but I am told if it is not already done it is damn close and Dubas wants to get it out of the way before TDL. What I keep hearing is 12.5M for 8 years. It looks like Marner will be waiting into the summer. The Leafs and Marner are far apart.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
I can definitely see Matthews getting at least 12M and then Marner will want that same number (outscoring him 2 years in a row).

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

If Matthews makes anywhere near that I’ll blow a ****ing gasket.

I'm just waiting for all the people to use cap inflation as a reasonable response. Seriously though, if he gets anything over $10mil/year, its an overpay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad